Ebay second chance offers - help please?

biggles1958

Established Member
Reaction score
i bid on an item and lost by a few pounds

about a week later the seller contacted me with a second chance offer (because the winning bidder had failed to reply to mails or pay) to Buy it Now at my highest bid price - i accepted and bought the item

now this morning the seller has contacted me and said the original 'winner' has been in touch so he has cancelled my purchase

any idea how i stand? - imo he broke the contract with the original buyer when he offered the item to me and as such i'm entitled to received said item?

i bid on an item and lost by a few pounds

about a week later the seller contacted me with a second chance offer (because the winning bidder had failed to reply to mails or pay) to Buy it Now at my highest bid price - i accepted and bought the item

now this morning the seller has contacted me and said the original 'winner' has been in touch so he has cancelled my purchase

any idea how i stand? - imo he broke the contract with the original buyer when he offered the item to me and as such i'm entitled to received said item?

I'd complain to eBay as this is pretty despicable behaviour on the part of the seller. However, I don't think you stand much chance of seeing whatever it was you won.

If he entered the sale into eBay then you should at least be able to leave some negative feedback to warn other buyers in future as he doesn't sound like the sort of person I'd want to trade with.

i'll just leave him negative feedback - at least under the new rules he can't have a 'go at me'!!

well i'm stuffed - fleabay will not allow me to leave negative feedback as i had not yet paid for the item?

despite the fact he would not accept Paypal - only cheques and postal orders!!

to be honest i dont think there is much you can do, its one of those routes that just isnt worth taking. terrible behaviour on the sellers part though, how long after it was sold did he give the original winner to contact him.

probably better to take it on the chin and accept ebay as being flawed, not the ideal solution i know.

to be honest i dont think there is much you can do, its one of those routes that just isnt worth taking. terrible behaviour on the sellers part though, how long after it was sold did he give the original winner to contact him.

probably better to take it on the chin and accept ebay as being flawed, not the ideal solution i know.

thanks

at least he will get a 'mention in dispatches' on the uk 4x4 forums as he was selling Jeep parts

and the 'winning' bidder he has gone back to only beat me by about £3!!

Can you not mark as payment sent? and then leave neg?

Liam

Can you not mark as payment sent? and then leave neg?

Liam

thank Liam

but if i marked as payment sent i'd be as big a liar as him?

anyway - sent a complaint to Ebay and suddenly i'm able to leave him negative feedback!!

thank Liam

but if i marked as payment sent i'd be as big a liar as him?

anyway - sent a complaint to Ebay and suddenly i'm able to leave him negative feedback!!

I only meant mark payment as sent to facilitate bad feedback:devil:

Liam:)

update - the seller is not a happy bunny with the negative feedback since he had only done three previous deals so his trader rating has taken a serious hit!!

he tried to raise a dispute with ebay saying we had mutually agreed to cancel the deal - he wanted to save paying fees:rolleyes:

i completed the details and ebay have sided with me and closed the dispute:D

but now ebay want to investigate him and have requested copies of his emails to me - they also seem to have picked up that in the sale details he had admitted he does not accept Paypal but said he did as this was the only way he could get the item 'listed'

then he added his own 'rule' saying no Paypal only cheques and postal orders!

i thought ebay were useless over complaints but they seem to be talking this very seriously:confused:

oh - and he sent me a nasty email saying he would give retaliatory negative feedback - shame he's not seen the new rules whereby sellers cannot leave negative feedback:suicide:

Just make sure that if you sell anything in the near future you don't let him bid on it :thumbsup:

I'm glad you got your issue sorted however I can't help but think the seller couldn't win on this one.

He sold to the original buyer so you gave him negative feedback etc.
If he had sold to you the chances are the original buyer would have left him negative feedback for not completing the deal.
It's a hard one really if you see it from a seller's point of view.

I'm glad you got your issue sorted however I can't help but think the seller couldn't win on this one.

He sold to the original buyer so you gave him negative feedback etc.
If he had sold to you the chances are the original buyer would have left him negative feedback for not completing the deal.
It's a hard one really if you see it from a seller's point of view.

the seller was a bit stupid with his listing in the first place imo - he should have specified the time limit for payment to be received - say within 5 days?

however ,if he had accepted Payal i'm sure the original buyer would have been quicker 'off the mark'

by offering it me as a second chance Buy It Now he rejected the original winning bid and i became the new winning bidder/buyer

and yes he stood the chance of negative feedback from the original winner!

at the end of the day it was a situation entirely of his own making as he did not even start the non paying bidder process before offering it to me!

the seller was a bit stupid with his listing in the first place imo - he should have specified the time limit for payment to be received - say within 5 days?

however ,if he had accepted Payal i'm sure the original buyer would have been quicker 'off the mark'

by offering it me as a second chance Buy It Now he rejected the original winning bid and i became the new winning bidder/buyer

and yes he stood the chance of negative feedback from the original winner!

at the end of the day it was a situation entirely of his own making as he did not even start the non paying bidder process before offering it to me!

Yeah that's fair enough, I'm not questionning your course of action at all.

I just thought that as a seller it could be one of those situations where you can't win. The way the seller handles it though can make the whole difference.

Anyway as I say, glad you got it sorted on your end. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom