• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ebay scammers?

elliotjames

Established Member
These lot have been at it for a while, they keep putting P1's on all the time

GW43

Prominent Member
Scumbags the lot of them.

I've reported the same guy 6 times for listing a pair of Proac speakers, each time with a hijacked E-Bay account.

proux

Established Member
ATTENTION!!!:hiya: Repeated frauduent Arcam (and other) ebay listings, have lost count of how many I reported.

Suggest looking out for category of item (eg listed under "stamps / military"), location (eg US member claiming item in UK), short (24 h) listings, ad especially crap saying "dont bid, buy it now £600, random hotmail / yahoo address.

I think people on this forum won't fall for this:) , but I am worried for those who might (eg I might have done not too long ago:suicide: !)

KenX

Standard Member
Also, they were selling Linn Classik Movie systems for a while using hacked accounts at ebay, typically using hotmail addresses.
They ask for Western Union money transfers.
Those auctions looked exactly the same as the ones with Arcam equipment. It seems they are specializing on "high end life style products".

In fact, I was exchanging emails with them for quite a while, trying to figure out who where behind it. The contact information I finally got was in Italy, but I suppose they were just lying about that too...

peskywinnets

Established Member
I've reported the same guy selling an AVR350 for £450 (nice price - if only :D ) 4 times on Ebay, the scam started off life on Gumtree (in fact, his ad can still be sen using Google cache ..... http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...87.html+gumtree+arcam+diva&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1 ). In their defence, Ebay are always fast to pull any ads I report.....

Here's the bullsh*t he spins..

"Hello
The Arcamis still for sale but for the monemt i`m not in London,my parents and I invested a big amount in a tourism bussines and I have some problems there. One of our annex taked fire and I have to fly urgently to Italy to be there when the officials start the investigation and i will no be able to meet you in person so if you are still intrested in my item get back to me."

In later emails, he goes on to say he can have the item posted out free of charge blah blah.

He's not very good...uses the same ad text on all his scams therefore it's very easy to find wherever he's popped up!

i'm always sure to email him each time I've reported him to ebay addressing him as a bad word starting with C!

You can too...one of the email addresses he uses it [email protected]

I have my suspiscions about this one too...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-AVR250-...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mainly due to the somewhat dodgy payment options....

"I will accept Paypal, direct transfer into my bank, and cheques in UK Pounds
I prefer bank transfer directly into my account. Bank Transfer is FREE, takes a maximum of 3 working days to clear and is VERY secure. If you use online banking it takes just a few seconds! PLEASE USE THE AUCTION NUMBER AS REFERENCE WHEN MAKING THE PAYMENT. Contact me for details.
Cheques can be paid into my account or sent directly to me, but WILL be held for clearance before the goods will be sent - Sorry, but once bitten, twice shy. Cash is sent at purchasers own risk.

Matt Horne

Prominent Member
I would not say the payment terms are that dodgy.. he takes paypal, bank transfer or direct payment... if it was me I would only take the last 2 as I do not trust paypal.

If you are interested email and ask for photos, or suggest that if you won you would like to pick it up in person..

< Usually as mentioned the scams do not want you to pay through ebay, nor in fact bid, but use there special buy it now price >

Matt

Matt Horne

Prominent Member
peskywinnets said:
Fair enough....but anyone who says their preferred method is direct bank transfer has to be treated with caution!

I guess you will never buy anything from me then :D

These days with the scams available with paypal and being able to easily it seems instigate chargebacks.. for high value items its the only way imho (other than cash on collection)

Cheers

Matt

peskywinnets

Established Member
Matt Horne said:
I guess you will never buy anything from me then :D

Matt

Why's that...do you not accept cash?!

Seriously, the only way I deal nowadays for anything of significant worth is rolling up in my car outside the sellers door with some sterling in my hand.

Pull up in car.
Sterling handed over.
Item put in car.
Drive off.

Job done.

TopMeTom

Banned
ooh,ooh when are the beans being listed have looked allround the for sale section....

hold on are they on ebay??(scuttles off to check.....)

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
proukakis said:
I have my suspiscions about this one too...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-AVR250-...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mainly due to the somewhat dodgy payment options....

Hmm, maybe, don't think I'd buy it. I am certainly not impressed when people don't put an actual photo of their own gear. But I certainly agree e-bay are quick to remove obvious scams.

I can't see anything dodgy about this auction. I don't blame him encouraging bank transfer as it's one of the safest payment options for buyers as there's no danger of chargebacks.

proux

Established Member
OK- sorry, it wasn't my original suspicion, and perhaps not everyone lists a photo- I am just too thick to use quotation marks properly!;)

jon smith

Prominent Member
Timmy C said:
I don't blame him encouraging bank transfer as it's one of the safest payment options for sellers as there's no danger of chargebacks.

Slight correction. Paypal seems safer for buyers, but potentially terrible for sellers.

I see nothing dodgy in the AVR250 auction.

peskywinnets

Established Member
jon smith said:
Slight correction. Paypal seems safer for buyers, but potentially terrible for sellers.

I see nothing dodgy in the AVR250 auction.

Ok, apologies....seems there's nothing dodgy about bank transfer after all - guess I'm just a bit of a dinosaur! Agree that Paypal is dodgy for the seller (though i've never had any problems in over 300 Ebay trades)....cheques, now there *is* a dodgy method of transaction too.....

D

dancohen

I've been looking at hifi ads on eBay (was maybe thinking of a new CD player, but will probably stay with my old one). I was surprised at how little description of the units was given in any ad.

Do we assume that hifi buyers are expected to be experts and to know all about the equipment once its make and model number are given?

peskywinnets

Established Member
All reported - I encourage all on here to do so whenever they see a scammer.

If you're logged into your Ebay account, it's easy. Make a note of the item number (ie copy it into your pasteboard with Ctrl C)

Click 'help'
click 'contact us'
select 'Listing Policy Breaches'
the in the step 1 box, select "Fraudulent listings'
the in the step 2 box, select "You suspect that an item is Fraudulent'
Click on the continue button.
On the next (new) page, click email us.

A new window appears...put the item number in the top pane
& a brief explanation in the bottom
Click send.

About 30 seconds work oncce you get the hang of it....it's strangely satisfying giving the scammers the runaraound too!

H

Hoggers

This guy is amazing... the adds are back there again. All the previous adds have been removed so new ones posted :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom