1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Scam

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jenic, Dec 14, 2004.

1. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Do the fresnel lenses that people sell on ebay actually turn a normal tv into a projecor or is it just a big scam. For the price i might try it anyway.

:eek:

2. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :thumbsdow no they are crap

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Don't bother. The lenses are just attached to something like box which is attached to the front of a TV. The picture will then be inverted which means the TV has to be upside down !!

The lens is also moved back and forth inside the box to try and focus.

The best of the DIY ones, involve spending much more money.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20041113/

4. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You'd get better results more cheaply by pearing through a couple of milk bottles :eek:
    The adage holds, 'a fool and his money are easily parted!' :devil:

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Christ - So true, so true!

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    but then he is ipod_crazy - anybody who is crazy about those must eaily part with their money :p :p :p

7. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ipod,

theres nothing wrong with wanting to have a go! i did, had a great time trying to get it to work, however i always found that the picture was just too blurry to watch :oops:

If you really want to have a go i dont mind sending you my lens!

Cheers

8. AvAl

AvAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just sold my frensel lense. Here's a link so you can see it

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8884

It was my first picture upgrade for my then 29 inch Sony TV and made it into about a 45 inch picture. I bought it probably 10 years ago now for £90 for a first stage, bigger picture - it was okay, but I wouldn't recommend anyone now, it's rather too 'Medievil' a route to take. it just a big square screen (lense) on runners. The runners sit under the TV (holding the whole setup) and then you move the screen back and forth till you get as big a picture as you can get, so the image of the TV is seen on the lense and then you are as you usually are, infront of the lense and TV. The picture itself isn't projected from the lense to anywhere else. One major disadvantage is that your view of vision is restricted to more or less being infront of the screen as otherwise the image is lost due to natural off-centre distortion of the magnifying screen

Personally I'd recommend it to an elderly person with sight impairments, in fact that's who bought it, a son for his mother with failing eyesight - I think that is where it is best bought. For home theatre users, no. Save your money and put towards a proper widescreen TV or projector.

It served my purpose then, but I wasn't as up on home theatre as I am now, and I think now more people have vastly more and relatively cheaper choices on moving up the home theatre route then they used to.

Alex

9. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i disagree with all you jezebels except smerkderk.

I saw these things on ebay, and was intruiged, so googled it and found a site with detailed instructions. An £7.99 fensel lens from Staples (A$ page magnifier) and some wood, and i got it working nicely*.

*If you cook a meal, no matter how bad it tastes, you can still eat it, others you cooked for may not do so too.

Basically the image is absolute ass, blurry, and dim. Very dim. Youll need total darkenss to view. However, there is a quant innosence about it though, i loved mine :) - stuff like toy story/shrek etc.. with bold colourfull colurs are *just* watchable, but watch you will. All my friends loved it for a 2 min demo, then we went back to the normal screen, but it was fun

Id encourage you to try it, but have no illusions, it is a £8 projector, what more can you expect :)

[​IMG]
    ther you go, found a screenshot from apollo 13 for ya :) - about 1.7m wide on my wall. Compares nicely to the HS50 shots ive been seeing recently ;P

oh 1 more thing, this puppy can produce contrast ration that a hds50 owner would be proud of, CRT projection baby :)

10. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, Well said, its notlike you are paying hundreds of pounds, for me all the fun was in the making! and it was great fun, Inverting TV's, making screens, playing with different size lens holes etc and I would imagine you really could get carried away making it bigger and better (although I had to stop playing around and fit a new bathroom!), i like to start with the basics as it helps me understand more.

Alex that is one large lens you have!!

Anyway good luck and happy trying.

Cheers

11. AvAl

AvAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks smerkderk, but it's a pain seeing at the moment - I really need to get down to specsavers and get them to glue it to back in to my glasses :cool: ;)

12. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks stuthemong and smerkderk, defo gunna try it now, cant wait to see it on my wall, plus the screenshot was not that bad!!!

Anything this cheap is worth a go!!!

Also what was the site with detailed instructions?

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Is an even cheaper solution to simply sit 6 inches from the screen? ;)
    But I suppose if that adage holds, then the same sentiment applies to buying a projector, and I'd have missed out on all the fun of making the bracket / screen etc and finding leads good enough which didn't outweigh the cost of the projector itself. So yes, keep expectations (very) low and give it a go!...PJ

14. custard

custard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same thing as AvAl, a £99 fresnel in front of a 29" Sont 4:3 TV. I loved it. At the time (ten years ago), it was probably a very cost effective way of getting ~ 36" display. You had to sit straight on, but if anything I thought it slightly improved the (already good) picture

15. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  16. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ask yourself why the adverts never show you the actual DIY device itself - that's because it looks like a coffin! (No, really).

Heres the good bit, those ruddy fresnel lenses sparked an interest in 'proper' projecters and some hours of research later I decided to get a proper one. I'm now the proud owner of an epson TW-10H - from ebay for £450. (Go into Dixons and it'll cost ya £700)

17. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Crikey I though I was the only "mug" ahemmm one who had a go at a D.I.Y PJ! :p Couple of years ago and 2 fresnel lens later I managed via my 17" monitor lots of cardboard and duct tape to make my first ever Pj.Needless to say it was crap! the image was faint and needed total darkness and even then it was imposilbe to watch.thankfully I managed to get hold of some cash at the time and bought my first ever DLP pj while my D.I.Y Pj went in the bin! :rotfl:

Dino.

P.S If your going to try it DONT bother via a PC monitor use a CRT instead as it's a much brighter image.

18. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah, but you guys are forgetting how GODDAM FUN it is to make. Do not underestimate DIY proj funness :) :)

19. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Fun funnnnnnnn????!!!!!!! I spent hours and hours and about £25 on materials
    only to be rewarded with a picture that shows you what it's like to have a 5ft image via a homecinema PJ and then violently slams you in the face with that fact you dont!!! :zonked::p:eek:

20. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...don't forget how disconcerting it is for visitors when they enter your living room and see something they may mistake for a child's coffin.

21. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Hahahahahah!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

22. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    bah, you guys got no sense of adventure.

Mine was awesome, i made it vertically, with a mirror at 45 degrees ontop. To focus i lifted up and down the slider, and pinned a wire attacehed to focus board underneath the TV. Every so often the focus board would justdrop down as the wire came unstuck - it made watching fims a gamble :)

character guys, these things have character.

23. johnnyjb

johnnyjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    could any one point a good pj id like a hd id go second hand if i had to

i dont understand how you can get hd from a projection ,it dosent sound reliable

do you hafta close curtains when watchin a pj.ive seen the spec of some online and they quote "native resoulotion 600*800 maximum 1298*1080" does this mean you wont get a proper 1080 picture because its not native