Ebay sales - pre-release

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what i call it ..."Steelbook tout" someone who engages in steelbook resale for more than the face value of the Steelbook.

snooloui said:
Oh dear. Just when I thought this sub-forum was moving in the right direction we have posts like this.

I know. It's really not what it used to be- some of these post are just offensive and unpleasant.

I hope a mod does come along soon.

Yeah, let's have the mod come and sweep it under the wrong that we have people (Keane and Snooloui, in case anyone is playing catchup on this thread) who buy for scalping purposes. Sounds good to me.

To those people who are complaining: Why don't you all buy 20 copies of Battle Royale and flog them on eBay?

MonkeyJug said:
To those people who are complaining: Why don't you all buy 20 copies of Battle Royale and flog them on eBay?

Oh god.

CJPowers81 said:
Keane, I thought you were against selling on eBay for extortionate prices?

Not really, I think buying a few extra copies to trade and flog on eBay is fine.

If think buying dozens is a bit off, but I wouldn't demonise and insult those who do.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yeah, a couple of extra copies wouldn't be so bad, but there are certain sellers on eBay who continually take the ****.

A prime example being this seller:

The Terminator Play Exclusive Blu-ray Steelbook - Ultra Rare OOP/OOS - PRE-ORDER | eBay

Yeah, but how does he get away without being a registered business seller, i don't mean from a tax point of view, but a buyer has certain rights with business sellers, to be able to cancel or return an item etc, with private individuals we have none ??

Yeah, but how does he get away without being a registered business seller, i don't mean from a tax point of view, but a buyer has certain rights with business sellers, to be able to cancel or return an item etc, with private individuals we have none ??

I don't get what you are trying to say here but if you pay through paypal you are protected by consumer law and paypal protection no matter what the tout says or does. You don't need to be registered as a business seller or anything like that to flog stuff on ebay whether it is second hand or brand new is irrelevant.
Those who make a constant habit of it in vast quantities do attract the attention of HMRC who now patrol ebay and caught a lot of people this year for similar practices but as long as they declare the profit in their tax returns , they get away with it.

Last edited:
I really don't get all of the moaning about this at all, It's not like people are being forced to buy from eBay sellers.

If you really want a copy of a steelbook, surely you just get off of your butts and pre-order in exactly the same way the sellers have? I cannot imagine being somewhere where I was unable to get online to do so for the whole period that an item was up for preorder (usually 2+ weeks)

Last edited:
I really don't get all of the moaning about this at all, It's not like people are being forced to buy from eBay sellers.

If you really want a copy of a steelbook, surely you just get off of your butts and per-order in exactly the same way the sellers have? I cannot imagine being somewhere where I was unable to get online to do so for the whole period that an item was up for preorder (usually 2+ weeks)

Perfectly put

I have only ever bought 2 copies and that's recent. One to trade and one to keep. By getting a trade copy it helps me trade for titles I can't get overseas.
People buying off eBay - its their choice. I'd rather spoon my eyes out than buy off there. But there's clearly a market so what can you do.

MonkeyJug said:

It's too easy, and therefore lazy.

I wouldn't want to lower myself to that level.

I'd feel guilty.

What is going on in the world.

I've just read over this thread (after the Terminator thread got closed) here are some of the stand outs:

Morality
robbing people blind
Guilt

and my favourite

Cants.

Do people genuinely think it is morally wrong to buy luxury, non-essential goods cheap, then sell at a higher price?

As others have said, I personally won't, don't pay the crazy asking prices for any of these films. You can stop being angry & you have your own little moral victory in that you've not lined one of these (insert your own expletive) sellers pockets.

If collecting stuff causes some of you this much anguish, why not stop. Life's too short.

malky78 said:
What is going on in the world.

I've just read over this thread (after the Terminator thread got closed) here are some of the stand outs:

Morality
robbing people blind
Guilt

and my favourite

Cants.

Do people genuinely think it is morally wrong to buy luxury, non-essential goods cheap, then sell at a higher price?

As others have said, I personally won't, don't pay the crazy asking prices for any of these films. You can stop being angry & you have your own little moral victory in that you've not lined one of these (insert your own expletive) sellers pockets.

If collecting stuff causes some of you this much anguish, why not stop. Life's too short.

Well said mate. I hope the mods get to this thread and address the unpleasantness that has been banded around by certain members.

I noticed a poster on this thread today calling some peeps **** for buying multiple steelbooks to profit from. That same forum member happened to be selling some BR's in the classifieds today.

He had a Terminator Salvation up for sale at £37:eek::eek: Hell not even sealed. Looks like he sold it too.

There's a Steelbook that was on sale at play for £9.99 for months and months and months. (i know, i got one:D)

Now it may be that he paid £37 for his:rolleyes: and was just trying to recoup his outlay.

At first i thought, jeez, what a ****. I sold (well traded) for a value of circa £20 a few months back.:facepalm:

After a second I laughed it off and figured maybe I should have priced mine higher:laugh:

People buy and sell things all the time. Some people may buy 1 steelbook and sell it on for a profit, some people may buy 50 and make much more profit.

Do people really get so worked up about how many Steelbooks some people may have purchased and how much of a killing they've made.

Some of us (been there, done that - Iron Man:facepalm:) miss out on a bargain (somebody has to miss out) because someone else has ordered the last 20 but really, it's hardly the end of the world.

Can everyone get off their moral high horse please and get back to discussing steelbooks. I don't want to see language like the C word, nor do I want members abusing other members purely because they have had the sheer audacity to buy more than one copy of a particular item. I do think a lot of the posts from angry people are pure jealousy that they didn't think of buying more than one copy to start with and flog it on for $$$.

Reading some posts in this thread really gives you steelbook collectors a bad name. You'd think someone had been murdered going by some of the language used in a few posts.

Any more posts from anyone abusing anyone else for buying more than one copy of a steelbook will result in an instant 1 week ban. Take it or leave it.

Thanks.

I do think a lot of the posts from angry people are pure jealousy that they didn't think of buying more than one copy to start with and flog it on for $$$.

Nail. Head.

I can't say for certain, but I would imagine those people either (a) cant afford to make the initial outlay, or (b) can't afford to take the risk, of buying multiple copies of a steelbook that may or may not be worth their effort or hassle in selling them on.

When they see others pull it off with considerable ease and very little effort, it hits a raw nerve somewhere...

How about starting a new thread about whether collector's open their Steelbooks or not? Do they buy to simply see pictures posted online instead of opening and enjoying it because they think they are immortal and people who open always think life is too short? :hiya: :rotfl:

Back to topic, something needs to be done to stop private sellers pre-selling rare collectible items at eBay.

I buy them,open them and throw away the data cards-only realised how this is viewed as a no-no when looking at the classifieds!does it knock down the value considerably?

How about starting a new thread about whether collector's open their Steelbooks or not? Do they buy to simply see pictures posted online instead of opening and enjoying it because they think they are immortal.

Actually, those collectors who buy steelbooks to leave them eternally wrapped and untouched even if it means there is a cardboard sheet info card on the back that prevents them from seeing see the steelbook itself , have me worried a bit.

Has anybody checked to see if their girlfriends and wives are OK and not wrapped in bandages and injected with formaldehyde inside a glass airtight display cabinet ? :devil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom