Ebay Ripoff

Nowhere else I could think of putting this (and no ebay executive's bottom handy to insert the computer up) but their latest set of fascistic limitations on sellers is one too many for me. Coming at the end of January sellers will have maximum postal charges forced on them. I'll post DVDs for free when the Royal Mail let me send them for free

Books, Comics and Magazines
Subcategory
Maximum Postage and Packaging Charge
Accessories
£2.00
Annuals
£2.75
Antiquarian & Collectable
£4.50
Audio Books
£2.75
Children's Books
£2.75
Collections & Lots
£7.00
Comics
£2.75
Educational/ Textbooks
£2.75
Fiction Books
£2.75
Magazines
£2.75
Modern Maps & Atlases
£2.75
Non-Fiction Books
£2.75

DVDs & Movies
Subcategory
Accessories/ Storage
£4.00
DVDs
Free delivery
Film Memorabilia
£4.00
Other Film Formats
£4.00
TV Memorabilia
£4.00
Videos: VHS
£4.00

Music
Subcategory
Cassettes
£2.00
CDs
£2.00
Records
£4.00
Music Memorabilia
£4.00
Other Music Formats
£4.00
Accessories/ Storage
£4.00

Video Games
Subcategory
Accessories
£5.00
Coin-Operated
£14.00
Consoles & Systems
£14.00
Games
£3.00
Vintage & Retro Gaming
£5.00
Internet Game Accessories
£3.00
Merchandise/ Books
£5.00
Other Video Games
£3.00

Mobile and Home Phones
Subcategory
Bluetooth Accessories
£5.00
Home Phones
£7.00
Mobile Phones
£7.00
Mobile Phones with Contract
£7.00
Mobile Phone Accessories
£3.00
Mobile Phone Batteries
£3.00
Mobile Phone Cases & Pouches
£3.00
Mobile Phone Chargers
£3.00
Mobile Phone Data Cables
£3.00
Mobile Phone Fascias
£3.00
Multimedia Cards/ Memory
£3.00
Pagers
£4.00
Ringtones, Logos & Software
£1.00
Sim Cards
£1.00
Vintage Phones
£7.00
Other Phones
£7.00

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Absolutely ridiculous. Only problem is they are so big now they can do pretty much what they want and people will still buy and sell in their millions.

Although it never ceases to amaze me what idiotic new policy they will bring in next.

vtrmart

Distinguished Member
So, on top of insertion fees and them taking 3% of your sale (and Paypal another 3%), we are now being asked to post stuff out at a loss? And they want us to post DVDs for free? Like the OP said, only when RM let me post for free!:mad:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Absolutely ridiculous! Why is it only DVDs that have to have free postage? Even CDs are £2.

The price you get for DVDs nowadays, it's only with a bit extra on the postage that makes it even remotely worthwile.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
It costs 78p to send a SD DVD first class post, say 30p to cover packaging so £1.10.

So now surely all the DVD's starting price will have this fee included?

Liam

aprout

Distinguished Member
It costs 78p to send a SD DVD first class post, say 30p to cover packaging so £1.10.

So now surely all the DVD's starting price will have this fee included?

Liam

I'd guess that's their plan. You'll have to increase the starting bid price to cover yourself for p&p, therefore they'll get more on insertion fees & final value fees.

Assholes. **** ebay.

vtrmart

Distinguished Member
I'd guess that's their plan. You'll have to increase the starting bid price to cover yourself for p&p, therefore they'll get more on insertion fees & final value fees.

Assholes. **** ebay.

I can picture the CEOs and executive directors in their Ivory Tower saying exactly what you posted........ and they know we have to lump it if we want to sell!:mad:

Vern

I can understand where they are coming as I've come across a few sellers who are doing items for 99p but charging £10.00 or something for postage.

However, it's not right that you can't charge anything for postage - it's at least £1.00 probably £1.50 if you use a new jiffy bag and what about box sets? They can cost over £4.00 as they have to go parcel rate.

My nasty conspiracy theory mind also wonders if this is at the behest of the studios, as kind of back-door DRM to reduce the number of secondhand sales?

The workround is obvious (include P&P in the starting price or Buy It Now) but as a previous poster noted, this will attract a higher final selling fee. Ebay gradually seems to be weighting against sellers - we have lost the ability (as a last resort) to leave negative or at least neutral feedback against awkward or vexatious buyers who decide to spike you, now we can't charge a decent amount for postage...

Happy Trucker

So, first they insisted sellers have to accept Paypal (which, surprise surprise they own), which gives them two slices of the action on your sale, then they made it so sellers can't leave negative feedback, and now they're setting national postage rates irrespective of how much Royal Mail charge for the service? When postage rates go up again (as they will) will the eBay fantasy rates increase?

Then add the fact that if postage is included in the selling price of DVDs this will discourage a buyer who may think "I can get that for a fiver in ASDA" - it's odd but there seems to a weird thig happens on eBay where a lot of people would willingly pay £3.50 plus £1.50 postage for a DVD but would think twice if the actual price including postage were £5.... :rolleyes:

Vern - I agree with you about the 'cheap item huge postage' scenario (the number of times I nearly fell into that trap!) but all they had to do was include a button on listing pages where potential buyers could report ludicrously high postage fees. It might have taken a while to settle down but this heavy handed approach just to (seemingly) get more from insertion/final value/Paypal fees is a joke.

I just can't shake the image of hoardes of sellers arriving at theit local post office with DVDs in jiffy bags and arguing loudly with the teller that "eBay say this can be posted for free" ;)

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I normally start DVDs at 99p with £1.75 postage, which I don't think is unreasonable at all. Even at that price it can be a struggle to sell them.

If I was to start them at £2.75, I wonder if buyers would take into account the free postage? I bet a lot wouldn't even notice and just think "I'm not paying £2.75".

There's certainly no way I'm going to start them at 99p and free p&p, with listing fees, final value fees, Paypal fees and postage, it'd end up costing me money, I'd rather give them away than line eBays pockets :(

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
I can understand where they are coming as I've come across a few sellers who are doing items for 99p but charging £10.00 or something for postage.

Usually I find that is sellers based in Hong Kong doing this specifically to avoid customs problems on the recipient, which to be honest is not something to complain about (well for me at least).

If there is an item I want I always just do the lowest item cost + lowest P&P search. To find the absolute cheapest before I bid on anything.

The problem with the above is that the new ebay layout does not have that very handy feature.

The amount of times I have had to select that very tiny "opt out of the new layout" feature just to get it back is ridiculous.

The only funny thing about this is John Mccain repeatedly states in almost every interview he has that one of his most respected people in business is the CEO of Ebay after the innovations he has brought to selling.

Is this guy kidding or something?. Selling on Ebay has turned into the worst experience since returning faulty items to PC World.

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
Even sim cards gets a £1 :confused:

malkit

Even sim cards gets a £1 :confused:

Not to mention ringtones,logos and software 99% of which would be delivered digitally for nothing at all.
Given that dvds are the ONLY thing they don't allow anything for leads me to conclude that they must be trying to push dvd's off the site.Theres always millions of them on the site taking up a lot of space with most selling for less than £2 if at all,not a lot of profit from a lot of items for ebay in that.
To be honest after my last batch of sd dvd's struggled to sell at 99p I'd already decided it wasn't worth the effort in future.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if a dedicated blu ray category appears soon that does allow a couple of quid for shipping given that most sell for £10+

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom