Ebay requested refund?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by littlesheepy, Jul 2, 2015.

1. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Hello everyone, just hoping for a little bit of ebay advice please.
    I helped my Mum list an item on ebay, which sold, has been posted and received.
    I've now noticed the person has requested a refund due to 'wrong size or doesn't fit'. It's a pressure cooker, there were lots of photos of it, I listed the litre size and the condition.

They're asking for a return as she thought it was larger and it's a different model to her previous one which was a different size. She was unsure whether the model was indicated in our listing, as she would either have queried it or not bought it - I had also listed the model number and the instructions were included and pictured clearly. Also she says the quality is not the same as her 1986 model as it's probably now made in China...
    I have these options...
    • Accept the return
      The buyer pays for return P&P. We'll provide them all the return details. Wait to receive the item before you refund the buyer.
    • Refund the buyer
      You can fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.
    • Offer a partial refund
      You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.
    • Decline the return
      This will automatically close the buyer's request.
    • Send a message
      You can reply to the buyer.
    I've never dealt with a 'requested return' before and don't know what I should do, as I don't know what can happen if I do/don't. All I know is, I think it was listed clearly and fairly and if she returns it, my Mum is likely to be out of pocket of a few quid (which she can't afford, hence selling stuff in the first place) as with issuing a full refund she'll be out £5 in ebay/paypal fees and £8 postage as it's pretty heavy.

Any help advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Option 4

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,389
    This is offered, I would take it :)

Edit: Option 4, beaten to it... :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Fab, thank you. I was just concerned she's then going to say it's not as described or damaged or something! :(

5. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,341
    Agree with others. Option4. All of the 'problems' with the listing are of the buyers own doing.

eBay isn't Argos or John Lewis with a try first, return within 28 days service. People bidding should treat all sales as final & do all their research before buying, rather than cry about it later (unless of course the seller really is lying, which doesn't apply in this case as you had given all the info up front).

6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,341
    Make sure you keep the email trail from her, showing she has the product in hand & hasn't made any claim that it was damaged thus far.

7. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    She hasn't emailed me, she's just sent that message through ebay via the refund request, so it's documented. I've also just been on the ebay online chat and explained my situation and they've said they can review the messages etc. if need be. Just compiling a nice response explaining our listing did state all the things she'd obviously not read and as much as I'd love to help her out with a refund, I can't as my Mum would also be out of pocket from the gesture.
    Thanks guys :D

8. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,082

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Did your eBay listing state that returns are accepted?

10. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Oh and if she refunds the buyer I am sure her ebay fees are refunded. If you go with option 1, you can refund them just the item cost (not the p&p costs).

11. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Nope, I double checked that first. It was refunds not accepted.

12. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Everywhere I read it said you had to refund the full payment on return. They just paid the return postage.

13. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    eBay is a funny beast, as it lets you specify 'returns not accepted' in the listing options, but then goes on to offer a 30 day money back gurantee through PayPal regardless.

As a private seller and and a buyer that has used the returns process, it doesn't feel like as a seller you are not protected as well as the buyer.

I phoned eBay about a returns issue recently, something I had sold and listed honestly as I always do, and they said in spite of the 'returns not accepted' option, a buyer can still raise a returns request. They said they review all messages that relate to the item, whether through the returns system or normal messaging system, and if a resolution cannot be found between the two parties, they will review all the evidence to help with the case.

My advice is double check your listing and be very meticulous about the detail in your returns query messages to the seller.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,389
    By offering option 4, "decline the return request" it would seem that Ebay has looked at the advert and determined that the buyer is probably talking nonsense, but is also offering the other options that are available if the seller thinks the buyer has a point. At least that's the way it looks to me.

15. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,936
    it's a real pain in trhe backside... as mentioned elsewhere - my lady ordered an item to be sent to argos (was ordered alst tuesday) - and it said it would be delivered by friday - and that ebay would contact us to let us know when it coud be picked up...

the item was 45 quid - and free postage to argos

I contacted the seller (shop) on the monday asking what was happening - he got back to me on the tuesday night saying it was returned to him as we never picked it up...! and that it would cost 14 quid to resend - I asked for a refund... he also stated that it was only his responsibility to send it out and not to inform us...

I started the process to get a refund (with his agreement) - and haven't heard anything since... total joke :(

16. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    That's pants service!
    I can honestly say I've checked and checked and all what the lady had mentioned were clearly stated or shown in the listing. I think she genuinely had changed her mind but sadly I'm not a business that has the time or money to offer returns. If there had been a mistake on my behalf I'd have been the first to admit it and come to a resolution as I have in the past. I wouldn't screw anyone over as much as I wouldn't want to be. I replied and closed the returns last night and there's been no response so far from the buyer, so will just see how it goes :)

17. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    Tell them to bolt.

Chancers.... She must have a big heeed if that doesn't fit.

Ice

18. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good luck with this.

As Post #13 mentions states above, and also in my experience, sellers are not as well protected as buyers.

I sold an item (CD recorder) and stated quite clearly in my listing that no returns were accepted. The buyer told a pack of lies about the item not working properly and demanded a refund. I contacted Ebay and a phone adviser basically told me that in a scenario whereby it was one person's word against another, they'd side with the buyer no matter what was said in the listing.

After a bit of toing and froing, I finally got my item back and guess what? Yep, it worked perfectly! I did manage to sell it again after relating my experience in my new listing and had quite a few people write to me telling me they'd been through a similar situation. But I got the impression that Ebay are aware that the balance has shifted too far towards buyers and are looking to rectify this in future - perhaps they have already with this "Decline the return" option? I didn't have that with my case.

Now, none of this may relate to your situation, but it's useful to know just in case you have to do this again in the future.

19. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    It's disappointing that a buyer could potentially receive the item, raise a return and actually damage/deface it before returning it and then you're left out of pocket with an item you either can't resell or is severely devalued.

I'm now in the habit of capturing more photos of an item than I used to and am starting to photograph the various levels of packing I do too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Great advice, thanks guys :)

21. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
  22. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,936
    well, I got a full refund before... :)

23. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Lol oops!

24. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Your last paragraph got me thinking: some of the trade disputes on this site are around inadequate packaging/damaged items in transit.

Perhaps it could be useful that sellers on here do the same as you - not just take photos of the item for sale but also the packaging that will be used to send it in?

25. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I'm a bit OCD with my things and if I sell something, I want the buyer to receive it as it left me, in as much as I can influence this.

I ensure I accurately represent items in their description and photos and highlight all defects, including closeups of these, so at least these cannot be disputed.

I like to Bubble Wrap things even if they're going into a Jiffy Bag and if the box is a bit big I'll pad it out with newspaper or the paper Amazon use to send things in. I also retain those air bags when I get those, as you never know when they'll come in handy.

I'm not perfect, but I try my best and it's disappointing when a seller isn't happy after all this truth and effort.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  26. littlesheepy

littlesheepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Here here. With you on this one :)