1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay question: 'don't know where else to ask this

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I know that this may not be the place to ask this but maybe someone here can help. I placed my projector on ebay a couple of days ago on the UK site (ebay.co.uk) and it only seems to be placed on the US site (ebay.com). I did register on the US site before Christmas: would this have anything to do with it. I also tried going through the "selling" process again to try and find an option to choose what site I wanted to place my add on but I could not find such an option.

Another thing that I found strange is that when I placed this on ebay before christmas I got a number of querys from a guy in Indonesia who wanted to buy the pj and have me charge his credit card. When I told him I was a private seller selling a second-hand pj with no way of charging his credit card, he disappeared. And then this moring I get this email from someone in Indonesia (not sure if it's the same email address):

"Good day
    i want to business with you and i very interest with
    your item.please give me the total price and shipping cost by fedex
    international delivery because i am in Indonesia .i will cover for all additional cost.and
    for the all payment you can charge in my credit card<mastercard or visa>
    directly by merchant account.i don't like the
    onlinepayment<paypal,billpoint,WU,wire transfer>"

This seems very strange to me. I'm wondering is this guy going around and trying to pull some kind of scam or perhaps someone else has come across him before. (Maybe he's just a big fan of Toshiba projectors:D )

Conor

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry cant answer the .com instead of .co.uk query. Email them they usually respond within a day.

As for the Indonesian, if you do a search on these forums for indonesia then you'll find a thread about somebody who got stiffed by such a person when the credit card that was used turned out to be stolen. the seller had no comeack and lost his money.

caveat emptor - buyer beware - but in this case seller beware! (haven't got a clue what the latin is for that:cool: )

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

There is a range of checkboxes in one of the sections when listing an ad that lets you specify if you want to make your item available for sale in Europe/US and elsewhere. Usually an item will be dual-listed on ebay.co.uk and ebay.com if placed via the UK site. It might have something to do with you registering on the US site, though if it let you list it on the UK site, this seems strange. What's the item number of the auction?

Undoubted rip-off merchent, don't deal. In fact report him to eBay as they will remove his account. See this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=63168

4. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Comer

We receive a dozen or so email enquiries a week from Indonesia with people wanting to purchase different goods by credit card. Although on the face of it they appear to be from different people it is somewhat suprising that they are pretty identical! They will only pay by credit card and not by bank transfer so we have never supplied anything. It has now got to the stage that we don't even reply to enquiries.

Personally I would give this purchaser a miss.

Regards

Alastair

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks for the replys all. I'll check out the selling process again. I probably missed a checkbox somewhere. As for this Indonesion: although it is a different email address from before christmas I amd 99% certain (from the way the email is worded) that it is the same person (group). I had no intension of dealing with this person and in fact I would really rather deal with someone from Ireland/UK, hense as far as I'm concerned , only having the add placed in the US site is a waste. But I was just wondering had anyone come across something similar.

Groundy, the item number is 2501149893

Conor

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
  8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could the reason for appearing on the .com insteand of .co.uk be because the location is listed as Ireland?

9. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It often takes a while to show up on a search after you first place the advert. Give it 24 hours and you'll be able to search for it.

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks

I'll give it another few hours

Conor

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is listed on both the .com and .co.uk but you've hit the nail on the head as to why it's not showing up on a search :). The default search on ebay.co.uk is to search only items availble for auction in the UK. You can select to search for items available to the UK as well though. This is done from the drop down box below the search term on the ebay home page, or from the link at the top right of the UK search results.

As you registered a non-UK address Conor, any items you list will not be searchable from the standard default ebay.co.uk search terms. I think there are ways round this though as I often see US sellers items advertised for sale from a UK location. I think you can choose your location when listing the ad or you can at least choose to not list by location which may do the same thing.

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

Thanks Groundy

I just copped on to that myself about 20 minutes ago but couldn't decide wheather I'd reply here admitting how stupid I am not to have spotted it sooner:blush:

BTW I never thanked you for being the only person in about 20,000 who showd genuine sympathy for my misfortune with water cooling. If I'm ever mugged and lie bleeding and broken at the side of the road, I hope that it's you who walks by and not any of the other 19,999:D

Conor

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You had to bring that up again didn't you :D. For a few minutes I did genuinely believe you but don't tell anyone else ;).

14. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

I'll take it to the grave;)