Question eBay Purchase Denon Avr-x4500h

misterS3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just wanted for some opinions.

Basically wwyd.

Bought this item

I had it delivered so didn't collect in person. And hence didn't check it out before paying..

It arrived today in the box, but there's no mic stand, FM or am cables, no quick start manual or any paperwork. The remote was unwrapped but no batteries. There's no obvious sign of wear. But I've not taken it out of the box as I'm contemplating sending it back. And just buying one new or even the 3600h. I'm not having buyers remorse.. I'm okay with the price I paid.

But the item was sold as new-unused.

I also asked for the receipt for warranty but that's not available (so far)

The person I bought from has now said it's not actually his and he'll try to get the receipt.

I'm thinking this maybe a demo or refurb. Or am I being paranoid and should just plug it in and enjoy it.

To be honest if the person bought it for £500 I'm still cool with the price I paid. But not if there's no receipt to give me the remainder of the warranty.

What would you do.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I would look at it this way, if it was listed as used but mint (or whatever condition it's actually in) with no warranty would you have bought it for the price you paid? If so then keep it.

Looking briefly at the listing it doesn't in any way scream steer clear to me. More like one of an inexperienced seller that doesn't realise that keeping details to a minimum can sometimes come back to bite you on the behind.

I would look at it this way, if it was listed as used but mint (or whatever condition it's actually in) with no warranty would you have bought it for the price you paid? If so then keep it.

Looking briefly at the listing it doesn't in any way scream steer clear to me. More like one of an inexperienced seller that doesn't realise that keeping details to a minimum can sometimes come back to bite you on the behind.

Thanks. That's sort of my way of thinking.

Without a warranty or if used. I wouldn't have paid £725 (all in price). I would have bought a new 3600 instead for £800. I would have paid maybe £625 all in. Not sure if that's realistic to be honest. £725 might be a fair price for a used one. I've been in and out of hospital the last 2 years* and lost track of av stuff. I'm only buying this because my onkyo 809 died a few months back.

*I have Stg 4 cancer so probably won't live 3 years (I've accepted my fate and this is my attempted gallows humour) and so maybe shouldn't care about the warranty.

Aside:
I have artcoustic speakers up front, jl112 sub and target speakers in my ceiling as rears. So i get that the 4500 is probably overkill but the plan is to move house next year and do a proper Atmos set up. Even then the 3600 is probably good enough for me. I only bought it because I thought it was a good deal for a new unused item with warranty.

So sorry to hear of your illness. It shouldn't make a difference as to whether or not you accept the item though. If you feel misled by the sellers description and want a refund then ebay will come down on your side, I can pretty much guarantee that. They will also require the seller to cover return postage so you won't be a penny out of pocket.

Personally I'm one to buy used without warranty and take a risk just so I can potentially end up with something better than I could have afforded new but then I tend to buy older stuff at a fraction of original RRP. Given in this instance we are talking about what appears to be current models, the savings may not outweigh the potential lack of warranty though. I think I would contact the seller and point out that advertising as new when there are bits missing is guaranteed to bring ebay down on your side in a returns claim but if he can provide transferable warranty details you may consider keeping it, that is if you are happy to. That way, he will at least do his best to get the receipt for you as he knows it could be costly to him otherwise.

So sorry to hear of your illness. It shouldn't make a difference as to whether or not you accept the item though. If you feel misled by the sellers description and want a refund then ebay will come down on your side, I can pretty much guarantee that. They will also require the seller to cover return postage so you won't be a penny out of pocket.

Personally I'm one to buy used without warranty and take a risk just so I can potentially end up with something better than I could have afforded new but then I tend to buy older stuff at a fraction of original RRP. Given in this instance we are talking about what appears to be current models, the savings may not outweigh the potential lack of warranty though. I think I would contact the seller and point out that advertising as new when there are bits missing is guaranteed to bring ebay down on your side in a returns claim but if he can provide transferable warranty details you may consider keeping it, that is if you are happy to. That way, he will at least do his best to get the receipt for you as he knows it could be costly to him otherwise.

Thanks.

I have told the seller I'll probably return the item without the warranty ie receipt. I even said, I'm not that fussed if the receipt says £500. As long as it was new when bought and unused as described.

I was just wondering if I was being too precious. But I agree that eBay will come down on my side.
I have just noticed the item sold twice before on 20th and 23rd and I bought it on 27th. So I'm now a bit more suspicious and edging towards a 3600 from Richer Sounds for £800. I'll contact eBay concierge tomorrow and ask them if they can shed any light on why the previous sales didn't go through.

Thanks again (both of you) for your advice late on a Saturday night.

The previous sales probably didn't go through if the buyers backed out and didn't pay or possibly if the seller was bidding it up against himself and got it wrong (by winning).

It looks a good enough buy although I've spotted them new for £799 so it's not that cheap.

I'd ask the seller for a partial refund. Say you're not happy with the missing items and lack of warranty seeing as it was advertised as new. Suggest a figure you think it's worth (£5-600) and see if he'll come down to that otherwise you'll pursue a full refund through PayPal/eBay. TIP - offer a bit lower than you'd be happy paying then you can give some ground when negotiatiing with the seller and you both come away feeling good.

If he's a decent seller - he might go for it. Just to save the hassle of refunding, relisting, resending etc.

Anyway, please don't worry about it. This hobby is meant to be fun. Half the fun (at least) is buying the kit so try and enjoy the process. Then hopefully you can maximise your time enjoying your home cinema.

:thumbsup:

Hi
Thanks I have asked to send it back.
No receipt forthcoming. Selling on behalf of mate. Bits missing from box. Just too many little things not making me totally comfortable. I asked about discount on the lack of receipt but no go. I called Denon and they had a date of December 2018 linked to serial number. So it's been sitting somewhere for sometime.

Where have you seen the 4500 for £800. I've just bought a new one for £940 to be delivered this week hopefully.

Can't wait until it arrives. Been a few months with TV sound. Need to read up on Atmos as in my tiny living room I've got artcoustic fronts in the wall and centre under tv, JL e112 sub and targets in the ceiling in line with the main listening position to the side. So I probably need something upfiring to the side of the centre in line with the fronts. But as they're in the wall that's not gonna happen . Saying that we'll hopefully be moving in a few months time if we can find somewhere while I'm still well, so don't want to go doing more digging in the walls! So maybe just save that project for the new place.

Thanks

Btw little tip. If you pay for the courier on eBay you lose buyer protection. As I'm concierge customer they offered to buy me all the bits that were missing. Great customer service. They said in future. Ask the seller to do the posting even if you pay for it separately. Weird little nuance of their t&C's.
The seller is has accepted the return and is going to send me the postage label tonight which is pretty decent of him. I'm just going to put it down to a very inexperienced eBay seller. Even though I find it hard to imagine such a person who is buying/selling a 4500 exists

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom