ebay - possible trouble

avrallen

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been on ebay seems like 100 years, have very good feedback (650-ish), and am worried about a recent transaction.

I recently sold an expensive item a large sum and the buyer chose click and collect from an Argos store. As this looked a bit peculiar I did a search and I read some horror stories about ebay and Argos scams.

Short of cancelling the order and returning the money, I was thinking what can possibly go wrong, in any ebay transaction.

I ship the item, and require signature on delivery (in this case Argos, not sure how this might complicate matters).

The buyer can claim it is broken, and request a refund. I do not accept returns as per ebay listing, but they can say it is broken, badly packaged ?

They can say it is not the right item, eg they bought an iPhone 11 and they received an iPhone 7.

They can request a refund for some of these reasons, keep the original, and send back a different item, or an empty box. Eg I sold an iPhone 11 and I receive back an iPhone 7 or an empty box.

The more I think about it, the more ways I am imagining this can go sideways!

Any advice?

Those risks apply to everything sold online and posted, not just ebay

I prefer collection at argos. when an item is picked up, ebay can lool at their records to see whether the argos staff member have recorded it as recieved and picked up.

The buyer has proof its been.delivered at argos as they get an email to advise them.to pick up.

In fact there is some protection on ebay although sometimes on the buyers side.

There are some steps to.tale. Best thing to do it take plenty of pictures and videos with your username, item number and date in the picture. Dont sell to anyone with low or bad feedback. Offer collection if possible.

It's extremely important to get cash payment on collection.

As you have no proof of delivery, buyer can just open the case against you and get the money back.
This is textbook scam example.
Cheer him up why don't you! :rotfl:

It's extremely important to get cash payment on collection.

As you have no proof of delivery, buyer can just open the case against you and get the money back.
This is textbook scam example.
That's why you have signed for and insured delivery.

He has all positive feedback, in the 20s, going back 6 years. But now I remembered the Hermes scam, basically they open the box, take items out, send on an empty box... And we just sent it with Hermes...

He has all positive feedback, in the 20s, going back 6 years. But now I remembered the Hermes scam, basically they open the box, take items out, send on an empty box... And we just sent it with Hermes...
I think you’re over thinking.

As a rule of thumb, all my listing on eBay are 'Buy it now or best offer', I put a high price on the items, inviting best offers. This allows me to vet buyers. If Im not feeling it, I refuse their offers and move on. I don't care if its the price I'm after either.
Ebay has always been a bear pit, but the bias to assist the buyer and dump on the seller has never been as bad, hence the introduction of £1 listing to try to entice sellers back.

Ahh Hermes...one of the companies Ive stopped using. Their customer service is truly awful and they chuck items over the gate or leave items outside in the rain, well, my local Hermes drivers at least.

As a rule of thumb, all my listing on eBay are 'Buy it now or best offer', I put a high price on the items, inviting best offers. This allows me to vet buyers. If Im not feeling it, I refuse their offers and move on. I don't care if its the price I'm after either.
Ebay has always been a bear pit, but the bias to assist the buyer and dump on the seller has never been as bad, hence the introduction of £1 listing to try to entice sellers back.
Sometimes it's not the buyers fault but the courier can mess things up, lose or damage items or simply not deliver to the correct address.

If it's a high value item I always ask for insured or at least signed for and tracked delivery. I don't mind paying a little extra for certain companies.

Ahh Hermes...one of the companies Ive stopped using. Their customer service is truly awful and they chuck items over the gate or leave items outside in the rain, well, my local Hermes drivers at least.
I had to send a ham radio back to the shop, I was going to send via hermes but thought the price was expensive, I sent it by Royal Mail aor about £5 cheaper and next day delivery before 12..

I'll certainly be checking their prices again for parcels.

The spirit of eBay has long since gone IMO, high charges, costly postage, scams and being outpriced by imported items have left it a complete minefield.

Don't get me wrong I still sell occasionally but tend to use it more for purchases

Last edited:
dont sell anything on ebay you cant afford to loose.

If your selling anything high price always do cash on collection

I can only agree with you. If you are selling something with a high price, do cash on collection.
Best wishes

I just had a Click and Collect item refused by the supposed location, as they say that they had no room to store packets. The item was correctly addressed with the code number , complied with the regulations and is currently lost in the return post. I have an unhappy customer and will lose a lot of money if I don't get the item back. Does Click and Collect ever actually work, or is it a completely failed system?

Pricey items - I always use RM special delivery with insurance commensurate with value.

If the item is too big to post by RM, it's collection only, with cash on collection

I just had a Click and Collect item refused by the supposed location, as they say that they had no room to store packets. The item was correctly addressed with the code number , complied with the regulations and is currently lost in the return post. I have an unhappy customer and will lose a lot of money if I don't get the item back. Does Click and Collect ever actually work, or is it a completely failed system?
It often works, as a purchaser I have used it for several items.
A while ago, there was one that got fouled up, lost.
And just recently, a collection point I have often used, the vendor couldn't post to because of a malformed address. Remember neither the customer or vendor can adjust the address.
Those are ebay purchases to Argos.
From a retailer, using a certain courier that was formerly Hermes, two packages went missing before reaching the lockers.

It has for me on several occasions via Argos without issue.

I have also sent items via a drop off box, again without issue but never collected from one.

If I'm understanding correctly, I'm not sure how a seller losses money, unless disputed, I thought eBay pays out almost instantly to the seller.

some people do some weird things someone bought something off me on ebay and their address and postcode dont match 0 feedback buyer

how do you not know where you live

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom