1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Portable DVD players - good/bad?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by milkspot, Mar 2, 2005.

1. milkspot

milkspot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ebay Portable DVD players - good/bad?

Hi
    I hope AV forums can help me here. I've used the searched facility but not found the info I needed. Alot of talk about Panny's.

I'm looking into purchasing a DVD portable for my daughter and came across these ebay auctions. I don't particular purchase electrical goods from ebay as a rule but it fits all the criteria I would need for a non brand, no fuss player. Especially if it's gonna be abused by the kids. The package they offer and specification is very good in my opinion for the price.

Primarily, the use of this player would be used during travelling time for my daughter. If I opted for the player with TV tuner, then the wife can use it whiles she's ironing. Kills two birds with one stone sorta speak.

What I wanted to know is:
    Are these players any good or should I avoid them?
    Are these players made by a major brand name?
    Is TV reception any good on these players?
    Anyone make other recommendations?

New Slim 8.4 Huge LCD Widescreen Portable DVD Player

NEW SLIM 7" PORTABLE DVD PLAYER w/ TV TUNER & FM Radio

Hope the forum can help me here. Looking forward to smashing the piggy bank :devil: :D
    thanks in advance
    manf

2. trendygirl

trendygirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't offer you any technical advice on those players but I notice that one auction isn't showing at all and the other is shown but the seller has been removed from Ebay.

Bearing that in mind, are you willing to pay so much money to a seller in Hong Kong for a portable DVD? The shipping cost is high and there is also the chance you would get charged by Customs for import duty and VAT.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you'd be better off dealing with a UK seller (with good feedback) or visiting a website such as Richer Sounds.

3. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the Mustek PL408T from www.gameloaded.co.uk £230.00 delivered,but they don't always have them in. 8.4 ins screen, it has a separate plug in tv tuner, carry case which can go on the back of a car seat, ear phones, battery and all the leads you will need, and I am well happy with it.
    I have seen them on www.ebuyer.co.uk for £250.00 delivered just looked on there site and they have gone down in price to £208.00 instock what a bargain buy one now before they go up again, and a lad from Bristol sells them on Ebay.Its the same as the Goodmans dvd player but the Goodmans does not have the Tv tuner and is more expensive.
    The Tv tuner like any portable Tv you take the good with the bad, I am a lorry driver so I am always in different places, 7 out of 10 I will get a picture I can watch. It does suffer with a bit of screen lag but so does the Goodmans player, you don't notice it that much.
    Hope that help you chose one, I would keep away from the ones on Ebay from overseas apart from high shipping costs and import duty, the Tv might not work because I think its a different signal? and if it breaks you might have to send it back at your cost?. :smashin:

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I recently bought the Coby 7in DVD player from Ebuyer for £100.

It has no TV tuner, but plays DVDs OK.
    Have had a few skipping DVD-Rs, but these have always been one particular brand of old 2x ones - 4x and 8x seem fine.
    It has dual headphone outputs (ideal for me, as I have 2 kids), and also has an AV input so you can use the screen for a playstation or whatever! It has the usual AV output as well, so doubles up as a normal DVD player (connected to a TV in the bedroom)

No idea how it compares to some of the pricier branded models on the market, but for the money, I think it's a good deal.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=79515

5. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo MikeK

What socket is AV input, composite, svid ?

THanks

John

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    It's a 3.5mm jack - it uses the same socket for AV in and out - there's a switch on the unit to set whether the jack is for output or input.

It's supplied with a 3phono to 2jack lead (it's a yellow video phono plug to the video jack, and two phonos (red&white) to the stereo audio jack (which doubles as the input, just like the video jack).
    The video on this is composite.

There is an S-video socket too (IIRC I think that too is a 3.5mm jack - it's at the in-laws house at the mo, so can't check physically), however I don't know if that is just output only or input/output. The manual is a bit pants in this regard, and no cable is supplied for it (presumably it'd be a 3.5mm stereo jack to an S-video plug). TBH, as the portable TV the unit is used with only has composite input anyway, it's not an issue for me.