1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Plasmas???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by STOWITBELOW, Mar 6, 2004.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Has anyone bought one succesfully? There was someone selling cheapys that said COD was ok. I Emailed them & although they seemed Ok they were in the Netherlands & COD didn't seem to be an option. No way will I send £Ks to unknowns, but it made me wonder, if anyone here's had a bargain from Ebay? I think they were a good con - cheap enough to make you want to buy, but not the usual plasma for £250 sort of nonsense. I'm still saving/waiting for a good size lcd, but these plasmas sounded tempting!

2. DTS Rocks !

DTS Rocks !

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that i think too,Sony 42in Plasma for £1400,based in Netherlands.I thought it might be a con too,but,you never know do you.Likewise,i would rather know first,before i part with the readies.

3. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simply not worth the risk!!!
    Who knows, one of the 'con-artists' might be in these forums posing as a satisfied customer, making you think it will be OK to purchase off these guys!
    People will do ANYTHING to get your money these days!
    I 'bid' on a legitimate plasma on Ebay and although I lost, I was inundated (spelling?) with offers of buying plasmas for stupid money. All of them were Johnny foreigners, all ot them used terrible English, all of them would only accept payment by Western Union (unsecure) and all of them agreed to sell their 'plasmas' for £200. It was laughable!

4. Arty

Arty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    STOWITBELOW,
    I bought a pioneer 503mxe from e bay, it took months to establish a genuine seller. A few tips I found useful were, always state you will pick up the item and pay cash, no other option! This is none negotiable, and proves if the alleged seller actually has the goods. Ask for a land line phone number for recontact, do not accept a mobile! If you get to the stage where you are going to actually buy, go with a friend as you will be handing over seversl thousand quid. Finally if you are the slightest bit unsure, forget it, trust your gut feeling, you will be right!
    BTW I got my 503 for £4K, after over an year looking and I had to travel all the way down to London to look at it. Thats a long way from north of Newcastle!
    Best of luck with your search, and remember, if it looks too good to be true, it is!!! :hiya:
    Arty

5. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wise words! Another thing that my local AV shop warned me about....... he heard of people winning plasma's on Ebay and arriving at the pick up point with the money for the screen. Once inside the building they were batted over the head and robbed of the money only to find that the screen never existed!!!
    I would rather not take any risks at all. I'm looking at getting a Fujitsu P42VHA30 which retails at £3500. I've found a genuine e-tailer selling it for £2500, which I've got NexNix to pricematch. Now I don't think that I could get that screen on Ebay even for that price!!!!!

6. Fishbones

Fishbones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Uzey....could you PM that e-tailer for the Fujitsu @ 2500.

Thanks

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks chaps, partcularly Arty. I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking! & not about to part with the cash on a wing & a prayer. When the ad said COD, I was tempted to enquire, but in fact, you paid in full before delivery it was a definate no no. Even Cod I was originaly asking would the vendor be setting up the set on delivery (not wanting to pay £s for an empty box, or duff screen.) I was & still am curious if people are succesful for some of these 'bargains'. However, I can't see buying from abroad as a realistic option anyway, as even if the deal was genuine you'd probably be caught out with duties/taxes, & if it went faulty...........

8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Beware I also recieved this email!!

Subject: Hoax warning
    I hate Hoax warnings, but this one is important.
    Please send this to everyone on your e-mail list.
    If a man comes to your front door and says he is conducting a
    survey and asks you to show him your arse, do not show him your arse.

This is a scam; he only wants to see your arse.
    I wish I'd gotten this yesterday. I feel so stupid and cheap

9. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I bought my Plasma from ebay, Hitachi 500E but I made sure the seller was genuine, and even talked to his supplier and checked the suppliers online shop. It all checked out, but it was pretty obvious from the start this guy was genuine, as they say you have to trust your feelings, BTW it cost £2240, a good few hundred cheaper than elsewhere and long before it was widely available here.

Best regards David

10. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Cheers David

11. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    NP stowit.......just be very very carefull....we dont need another post about being ripped off in ebay! LOL

12. DTS Rocks !

DTS Rocks !

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of the email or site of the guy you bought from,i want one too lol !

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Best one of these I saw was last year....a scammer offering a "50inch picture plasma screen" for about $2000 in the US.
    All the interested parties received exactly that....a 50 inch picture of a plasma screen.

For what it's worth,there's also a US seller persistently trying to sell a Krell TASAMP multichannel amp via private auction...be very careful of new high-end gear from sellers with virtually zero feedback.