Ebay Plasma Offers - Too Good To be True?

longyp

Standard Member
Reaction score
Like alot of people I am in the process of dipping my toe into the world of Plasma TVs etc.

I stopped off at Ebay where there seem to be some truely unbelievable offers.

E.G Panasonic TH50PX20U @ £1600
and a 65" inch version @ £3200

I really am at the earlier stages of sussing what's what - What can be the catch with the Ebay offers?? - Are they old? - I thought maybe imported USA systems but the seller denied this.

Anyone offer any advice or experience of purchasing Plasma through ebay?

Many thanks

Yeah i've seen alot on there to a panny TH42500 was on there for £1600.
And the best price i've found for it was £1950.
But if it looks to good to be true it's cause it normally is, Thats what i always say :)

i don't think that Panasonic is a UK version. If it has the wrong Voltage 240 vs 110. You can get step down transformers but i wouldn't go there. Also, I think that mught be as you said a US panel, so its not really a tv - no tuner. I

Be careful. Plenty of good reading on this forum though to wet your appetite in plasmas.

Are you just after a simple plug and play tv or are you a bit of a hifi nut and want to get the best of the best regardless of cost.

TVs popular here are the Panasonic PV500 series (8th gen)
Pioneer 436 XDE (6th gen)

or just the panel (for the purist and tinker-ist) Panasonic PHD8
Pioneer MXE-1

Of course there are more choices, You'll hear also that you must go demo, and only trust your eyes etc, but but.... just have fun.

Yeah I just googled Panasonic TH50PX20U. It's a US version of the PV500.

Top people - all of you for the responses.

I googled the Panasonic model as well and all the web sites were USA related..hence I approached the seller on this issue and they assured me it will work in the UK..so I'm sure it would but they've/or the buyer would need to do something to it to work.

ON ANOTHER NOTE

I am no AV nut - your weekend shopper if you like - but - I am very forunate to have a v.large room I have just finished decorating (20ft wide, 30ft long) which I would like to have some form of av setup.

Plasma is the obvious (in my mind) but even @ 50" this can look lost on the wall..also thinking about Projectors.

If you have a 20ft wide wall to stick a screen on what would you use???

You're incredibly fortunate to have such a large room, could you not accomodate a plasma for normal TV use, and a projector for films? I understand its more expense, but the projector will give you the 'wow' in such a large room. :)

I like your thinking.

The room used to be a snooker room (full sized table) and although I enjoy playing I probably would use the table a couple of times then never again..the room would be wasted.

So I gutted it..the previous owners sold on the snooker table before I moved in and now I have this large room I want to stick some display type in.

I have another smaller living room which has a small TV where we will do most of hte watching.

The large room will be for special occasions, guests, football events etc.
so thinking, yeah, I would like to have that WOW factor, so if you're thinking projector, this could be the way to go.

Is there a sepreate thread/forum for projector people???

Cheers

(Great forum this) :clap:

yeah, I would agree with UrbanT.

Does it have a lot of light from windows or is it completely walled. You can spend crazy money on projectors. You'll have to goto that forum for more info as I know nil about it. Sounds like you want good stuff (otherwise you wouldn't be here). LCD projectors are the way to go. And they can be HiDef etc. So plenty to learn there.

If you are the weekend shopper after the best tv at the best price the ones I mentioned earlier are considered gold standards.

they go up to 60 inches at least but I just noticed a thread with 100 inch tvs at $120,000!!!

Don't forget about the home cinema system kit for audio. To fill that room with sound means big.

How far will you sit from the screen. Is this a dedicated home cinema room? This will matter as well.

Darren Lui said:
Yeah I just googled Panasonic TH50PX20U. It's a US version of the PV500.
No, it's not!!

That would be that TH50PX50U. I believe the TH50PX20U is 3 generations old or something like that...

oops sorry, just meant that it is a tv and not a panel.

The room does have a window and a patio door - both located at the opposite end of the room where I would like to put the screen.

Fortunately the sun is only in the room in the morning so by the time I stick some curtains up I should be ok blacking out the room.

It will not be entirely dedicated to cinema - I'll have a place for dining as well so..will probably sit about 15 ft away from the screen.

(UrbanT - Just checked your website - excellent - if I ended up with picture quality half as good as what you have achieved I will be over the moon)

I noticed you position the projector directly behind the chairs - Some reason I thought typically you would stick it on the ceiling - or is this all down to personal preference??

regarding the auction. I wont touch it if i were you. registered less then a month ago, low feedback, and ALL of them are for small priced items.

Also rang him and asked if i can pick it up, and he said he wants 10% first... hmmm

Oh yes, going back to original q is ebay dodgy. Couldn't agree more with Shyboy. I think we were talking about one not too long ago, and after sending emails asking questions, the guy withdrew the auction after the third bidder.
It's handy to be able to see what they bought and sold before. They try to make themselves look more honourable by buying and selling small items and then try to con you with a big item.

There are now gypsies in Dublin selling fake Sony camcorders! look real and everything!

If you're going to buy something that expensive it pays to go through someone reputable and get the warranties and customer support should things fail.

Couldn;t agree more with shyboy. :)

Souns like projector is the way to go for you, plus a long line of Easy Boys Leather chairs with matching mini beer fridges!

You'll need good blinds. They say that 10-12 feet is good for 50 inch tvs, so at 15 feet you'll have to spend a lot of money. Also, at that distance you are wasting the effects of HiDef as both SD and HD would probably look the same.

The thing with HiDef is that when you're closer and you want a bigger picture you can be and get great detail. At 15 feet you might lose what you are paying a lot of extra money for.

Sorry can't be of any help on the projector front

longyp said:
The room does have a window and a patio door - both located at the opposite end of the room where I would like to put the screen.

Fortunately the sun is only in the room in the morning so by the time I stick some curtains up I should be ok blacking out the room.

It will not be entirely dedicated to cinema - I'll have a place for dining as well so..will probably sit about 15 ft away from the screen.

(UrbanT - Just checked your website - excellent - if I ended up with picture quality half as good as what you have achieved I will be over the moon)

I noticed you position the projector directly behind the chairs - Some reason I thought typically you would stick it on the ceiling - or is this all down to personal preference??

As its a dedicated room, I can mount the projector wherever suits best. The ideal position is like mine, where the lens points directly at the centre of the screen. This way, no adjustment is required to the picture (other than zoom), to make the film fit the screen.

You can easily mount the projector high, or low. In fact, you can even mount it to the left or right as well, as most modern projectors come with 'lens shift'. This moves the image to fit your screen. However, the greater the shift, the more its likely to impact on the quality of the picture. But unless you are pushing lens shift very hard, you will be absolutely fine :)

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom