1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Plasma / LCD con

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by STOWITBELOW, Jun 30, 2004.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Some people seem to detest 'the auction site' - Ebay, but I find it pretty good. However there are cautionary tales on here & I just want to add one. I was looking at a large screen LCD & a plasma for sale, both cheap, the LCD impausibly so - but still £2.5K. When contacting the vendors they replied with reassurances of payment that was Ebay insured. They claimed to have deposited large cash sums with Ebay that could not be withdrawn until the transaction had been finished ok, & for an additional 3 months without complaint. They were both short term auctions to pressure you into snapping up a bargain & although trustworthy feedback none related to high value electrical goods. Questions about delivery/collection C.O.D. etc were glossed over. The plasma vendor was particularly plausible, & exchanged several emails. I contacted Ebay & no such 'insurance' exists. The accounts were hi-jacked from inocent vedors. Not all deals are cons, both of these 'smelt fishy', a bit of digging revealed all. If it's too good to be true.............. Just watch out, there are crooks about

2. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just thought I would add to this I email about 15 plasma sellers on ebay and only 1 would let me come and collect the goods! Bearing in mind I was offering to hand over the cash on collection this just seemed wrong! The majority of them attempted this ebay insurance and $20000 in a bank account they can't touch, load of old rubbish and very frustrating. I would recommend anyone buying a Plasma of ebay suggest using the UPS Cash on Delivery service of collect. At the very least msake pretend you want to collect to get the selleres reaction.

Pete

3. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be CAREFUL of collecting it. They could just ROB you there and then or have a few guys do it. BE CAREFUL.

There are a 'few' good sellers on ebay. Just check and see if they have sold big ticket items. If they usually do this they are much more trustworthy. IGNORE HUGE FEEDBACK as they can hijack an account or buy lots of CHEAP SMALLER ITEMS.

Koing

4. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete, even UPS cash on delivery doesn't protect you... I could send you a big box of bricks and would not have be in a position to inspect as you have to pay UPS before you get the parcel....

I also checked with some of those ebay sellers... one was in italy but gave me a greek pay as you go mobile number.. asked to be paid by WesternUnion...

Also I have noticed that some of them have good profile but if you look closely it's for buying baseball trading cards for 0.50$...

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Ebay is full of con artists - I bid on some Nautilus speakers and asked the seller whether I could collect them personally as his/her location was only a few miles from my house. This is mail trail -

My question -
    Yes I am - I live in Pinner which is not far from you. Can I collect ?

Her reply -
    for the moment i am in New York and i am coming back next week...i want to be sure that u really want to buy my speakers so i want you to wire me a part of the amount through western union money transfer and when i'm coming back in london we will meet and make the exchange and after that you will give me in person the rest of the money
    .let me know
    thank you
    Claudia

My reply -
    No I dont think so.

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I just refuse to deal with anyone who mentions Western union - simple as that.

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Correct Rags, I don't believe it's full of con artists, but a few bad apples undermine confidence. I believe the more expensive the item, the greater the chance of it being a rip off. So the more 'research' you need to do. Ebay say don't use Western Union. So why go against their advice? From the responses the post is an egg/grandma issue. I just wanted to urge caution for any newcomers. The Ebay insured payments sounds plausible but doesn't exist. I didn't know until I'd mailed them & they replied a day later. I could have bid/won/paid by then! Some decent chaps have spoiled some bogus Ebay deals with bogus bids. Good work if you can spot them. Anyone offering Ebay insured valuable goods is bogus - Ebays' payment protection only runs to a few hundred pounds.

8. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't touch any seller asking to use Western Union or Escrow, both used often to stitch people up. Really bugs me when I see Ebay scams like that.

9. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's make one thing clear - Ebay would die if it was all con artists and scammers. It's not. It's fairly easy to weed out the scammers. My biggest concern with Ebay is the authorities' lack of vetting on high value items. They should be employing people to check listings rather than rely on the public questioning auctions.

10. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    They could do a Scheme like the nonexistant scam! Just depositing the funds to cover the cost of an item, long enough to check it was delivered & not DOA. Not infalible, but would offer some protection & would be at little cost. People would even pay £10+ per thousand to gurantee they weren't scammed. I can't see what the cost would be to them. Not that it's much gurantee doing an Ebay deal, but the Trevor Mcdonut program earlier in the week had people who'd done a deal outside Ebay complaining they'd been conned

11. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    There is a protection method called ESCROW, if you ask the buyer to go with this method of payment, if he/she is trying to rip you off then they won't agree, if they are a bonified seller, they will go with this method because it protects both sides.