1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay - Pirate DVD's!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Kane D Williams, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry if this has all been covered before, I rarely dwell in this section of the forum!

Anyone had any pirate DVD's from Ebay sellers? I just received 'Lost In Translation' and I'm 99.9% sure it is an illegal copy. It is definitely not the' standard' R1 retail edition in any case! I have also bought 'Underworld' from another Ebayer and I now suspect this too is a copy (not received it yet), as there seems to be a trend for the pirates to put a 'DTS' soundtrack banner across the top of the packaging, even when the official disc doesn't have a DTS track! I'm not sure if the fake an actual DTS track on the discs to match the inaccurate sleeve?

Anyway, if it does turn out that my Lost In Translation is legit, I must say that the transfer is very lacklustre and disappointing and the extras have a lot of compression artefacts.

I really do think that this is an illegal copy and what pisses me off is that the seller has 100% positive feedback (well with 2 neutral's) from 196 buyers!!! Even the couple who have noted that the discs were fake, give the guy a thumbs up for a good quality copy and fast delivery!! Nearly all refer to him as a credit to Ebay and comment on the super fast service and crap like that!! Some call him an honest Ebayer!! One buyer actually gave the guy credit for refunding his money after he complained that the film was counterfeit!!

I suspect that many of the buyers are aware that this guy sells illegal discs, but as the quality is decent they think it's all fine (I assume this due to the feedback and comments about the quality of the discs etc). I feel sorry for those that believe they are getting the real deal and are just not as savvy as someone like myself at identifying fakes. The quality is good enough to dupe your average Joe. I'm really angry and will be reporting this all to Ebay, just as soon as I get my money back. Unfortunately, I cannot claim from Ebay, as they take off the 1st £15 from every claim, and as my purchases were under £10, I may end up owing them! :)

Anyone else have any Pirate Ebay disc stories? Incidentally, anyone seen all those vendors on Greenwich market with stalls full of counterfeit discs? I can't believe they get away with it!

2. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A lot of pirate discs in general proudly display the DTS banner on the top - well most of the ones I've seen anyway. Usually in a gold-ish colour, and a lot of the copies have a DVD-9 logo emblazened about theme usually on the front cover.

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    A good way to tell mate is by putting it in a computer and seeing what the size is, if it is under 4.36Gb then its a DVD5 and denfelty not legit but then again it could be a DVD9 which is a 1:1 from the Retail and apart from the Disc Art and Cover Art there is no way to tell if its fake but alot of DVD9's have no Region Protection on them so thats a dead give away also.

4. Herbal

Herbal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah and some are factory pressed so it's very hard to notice, i've seen a few and the quality is frighting. Nothing like your guy from the pub, with a stuck on disk cover and printed off dvd cover.

The main way is the subtitles, they mainly have known subtitle all the rest are where they come from Japan Malaysia etc.

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought what I wa told is a genuine REG 1 of the Jungle Book. On playing it the picture kept going blocky etc. Anyway I have just looked at the box and it says DTS along the top. Got it on E Bay for £20.:confused:

6. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who do you contact about this. Trading Standards?? Only last time I dealt with TD it took nearly a year

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    Do you have any details about the seller, you could contact them ask for a refund or say you will contact trading standards about them, if they are selling bootleg dvds big time that will be the last thing they want and you may get your money back.

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he offered me a refund or replacement but thats not the point. These are FAKES and he should be dealt with

:mad:

9. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm waiting on delivery of a copy i ordered from ebay, well 2 copies actually from 2 different sellers. The one I'm almost certain is a genuine retail version but the other one was underworld. I will be very dissapointed if it turns out it is a fake and will be contacting the seller straight away.

I dunno if this is allowed or not but could you tell us his Ebay ID so that we can make sure not to buy from him, because I do look on ebay lots of times but usually get beaten on the price.

10. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    his user name is

paulwike1971

cheers
    shaun

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    could maybe start a "sticky" thread, with a list of ebay user ID's who sell pirate DVD's??

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    Just inform ebay, they should cancel all his auctions and warn him about selling copyrighted material, if he gets caught again he should get suspended.

13. Herbal

Herbal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is why I never use E Bay :).

15. ifti_a

ifti_a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah ive bought loads from one ebayer in singapore for about £6 to £7 each.

all have DTS banner and all are DVD9, but i must say the quality is very good.

16. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wrong attitude really, IMHO.

17. ifti_a

ifti_a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i bought them on retail at about 11.99 or so each it would be quite alot, for this reason i didnt mind paying 6.50 each.

i think its cool, but i must say if it was a good film i mean good like GODFATHER or FAST AND FURIOUS etc etc then i would buy the orignal liek i have done. it would be stupidity to buy LOTR on fakes.

films like mean machine and national security i think these 'DTS' one are fine.

Well for me anyway.

Another point if any of you paid more than 8 or so pounds for any of these 'DTS' films, your right to be angry, so would i, trust me, even if i have given them the thumbs up so far, it mainly becuase of the price i got them for.
    if you can get the orignals for 11 or so pounds then this is a rip off.

good luck with you claims.

18. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    why not just rent the films?

Cheaper still!

19. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or use the AV Forums to buy DVDs from users - equally as cheap and perfectly legal.

I'm VERY anti-piracy.

20. ifti_a

ifti_a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true renting wouldnt be bad, @ £2 each from my local shop, if i rent more than 3 times then i would have been bettr off buying the DVD. so for this reason i buy many of them.

but if your gonna watch a film once then renting is good. but now days even 'they' have thier ways.

21. ifti_a

ifti_a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is good buy used DVD's very worth it, i might just look at the section for used dvds.
    i only sign up to avforums 2 days ago i didnt know they had a used trades section, but i must say the bargin section is very very good, that is y i sign up to avforums

later

22. Herbal

Herbal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should try those Monthly rental companys, most offer a Trail offer, and there are codes out there to get more days

You should be able to do a 6month with all the companies for free.

Done one for 3 weeks and had 12 dvd's so far

23. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    you can tell if they are a copy how can somone sell a new release dvd for £7 or £8 if it is a legitimate dvd? if i see one i just report it to ebay and they end the auction.

very against piracy and by the way its against the law too

24. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    some people buy dvd's, watch them and are happy to sell them for a fiver... so I don't think that logic can be applied i'm afraid. There are easier ways of spotting a suspect bootleg - such as is the seller in an eastern country, has the dvd been released in the country of origin, what region is it (R0 is suspect but not always bootleg), does it have claims of dts when the genuine article doesn't, if it's a superbit it shouldn't have extras, does it have age ratings logos for the country of origin, etc.

25. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They have The Return of the King on auction, so it sometime very easy to see if its a pirate.

26. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have purchased quite a few dvd's from EBay and have got some genuine ones at bargain price. However, I myself have had the odd bootleg slip through the net. It is very annoying, especially sellers advertising them as definate originals. One particular person lrft me nrgative feedback for complaining to him that the dvd I bought from him was'nt a genuine region one, which he went on to say was a genuine region 1. Oh really, thats why it would play in my Region 2 only computer dvd.:rolleyes:
    On the other hand other sellers have pleaded ignorance and said they were very sorry and did'nt know that they were bootlegs.:suicide:
    The last couple of sellers I bought from I threatened to report them to FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) if they did'nt refund me. I have always been refunded and have not persued the matter any further.

27. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

E-Bay is, I'm sorry to say, both a well-known outlet for all manner of pirated goods, and also a con-merchant's paradise!

I don't want to sound like a "I told you so" kinda person, but there are lots of easy ways to tell if DVD's are pirated, before you even start to place an offer of money.

The easy examples are, is the disc legally available in the USA or Canada on Region 1? If it's not already out there, then there's a very high chance it's pirated!

Secondly, if it has DTS plastered all over it, use one of the numerous websites like Play, or MovieTyme or whomever, and see if the details tally with what your e-Bay merchant says is fact. Again, if they don't match, they're probably flogging under-the-counter copies.

Do the disc cover and extras, look legit? Check details like whether the e-Bay merchant's disc covers show things like:
    - 16:9 or anamorphic presentation
    - spellings of actors names
    - has the film in question ever been released before now, on DVD, and if not, then start asking questions
    - does the disc artwork or cover artwork look clear and sharp from the photo, or does it look like it's been altered or done by someone at home
    - look for the subtitles list. If it's an R1 disc, then there are usually only English language and French subtitles. If it's a UK R2 then you may get Italian, German, Dutch, English Hard-Of-Hearing, and a few obscure ones as well. If it list almost every language under the sun, again, there's a good chance it'll be a pirate disc.

If you don't want to do any of this, then ask people on this forum! We will all help, whenever we can, and chances are someone will be able to tell you if it's real or a fake disc being offered.

Don't let e-Bay merchants con you out of your hard-earned money. E-Bay themselves won't tend to care too much, if you've been conned, and will simply deny anything. Failing that, they will simply give the merchant a proverbial slap-on-the-wrist, which simply means he/she will re-register under a different name and continue on, as before.

If it seems unlikely that the film should be on DVD, then ignore it. Chances are, if the price seems reasonable, and the disc seems too good to be true, then it's a fake and a con!

Hope this helps.

Pooch

28. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use eBay for DVDs because I find that if I've got the patience, I can find a great deal for just about any DVD I'm looking for online.

Barring that, I'd probably use the trading forum here before going to eBay.

29. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've bought quite a few disks off ebay and they've always been legit copies in perfect condition. Some have even arrived sealed and I've been very happy with them.

The thing that gets me is the way you see the prices go over what the disk would cost new from a reputable retailer - beyond me why people don't check on the retail prices before they bid. Because of this reason you rarely get bargains - I find that you have to keep checking often for any auctions just about to end and jump in at the last mo.

I find the pirate copies quite easy to spot - there are usually tell tale signs as posted by PoochJD. If your not confident that you can spot these type of things then you'll just have to stop buying from ebay I'm afraid.

30. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, best to stay away from the ones that are selling low and go for the ones that seem a reasonable price for a genuine copy.

Im yet to buy any dodgy copies from ebay but like i said in a previous one, im waiting on one copy of underworld.

Here is the auction, do you think it was dodgy?
    Too late now i know but hey worth the risk maybe.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=3384507978