eBay/PayPal - money frozen? possible scam?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I’ve been buying and selling on eBay for over 10 years, and I’ve never had this issue before.

I just sold an item for £350, and I have had an email from PayPal saying-

We've placed the money on hold because we believe this transaction may involve a higher than usual risk. There's no need for you to do anything. As long as no claims are raised by the buyer or any issues arise with your account, the money will be automatically released in 21 days.

I can’t find a clear answer as to exactly why this has happened and the implications, the PayPal help page is very vague and ambiguous.

We both have excellent feedback. Have they detected issues with my account, not that there should be, or the buyers? If it is me, I’m baffled - I’ve been using PayPal every week for years without issue.

Who does this protect, me or the buyer?

The buyer also asked if they could collect in person in a couple of weeks when they are in the area. Can they then claim the money back? If they have a fake name I would have no easy way of tracing them. Or am I being paranoid.

I am also massively annoyed as needed the money for an Xmas purchase.

I’m getting twitchy and starting to think I might have to back out of this one.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Miss Mandy

There's nothing you can do except wait it out unfortunately. I had the same recently despite myself and the buyer both having over 300 positive feedback.
Whatever you sold is in what they deem to be a high risk category and they put these holds on anyone selling in that category who's not a regular seller there. It's nothing to worry about, its just a pain in the arse.

Out of curiosity what was the item you sold? These holds are most common with mobile phones.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
There's nothing you can do except wait it out unfortunately. I had the same recently despite myself and the buyer both having over 300 positive feedback.
Whatever you sold is in what they deem to be a high risk category and they put these holds on anyone selling in that category who's not a regular seller there. It's nothing to worry about, its just a pain in the arse.

Out of curiosity what was the item you sold? These holds are most common with mobile phones.

A drone.

So I don’t have anything to be overly concerned about then, it’s not that the buyer has some suspicions activity associated with their account?

Miss Mandy

It's not likely to be something you've done, it's more likely that it's a category that gets a higher than average amount of claims for item not being as described or getting lost in the post, etc.
That's what I was told when I called them for the same issue anyway. If you both have good feedback though it shouldn't be an issue.

hovblackctr

DO NOT let them collect the item. This is a known scam, they will collect then put in a claim with PayPal as item not received.
PayPal will then ask you for proof of postage which you obviously won’t have then refund the buyer.

I despise PayPal and eBay tbh. Too many scammers and crooks for my liking

temsy

I think it is to protect against hacked accounts, if the buyer is not the actual account holder, although I can’t see how this offers you any protection it just makes it easier for them to recover the money if anything is dodgy.

Not seen the previous post, posted while I typed, seems it is a known scam, is the email fake? if not how do they get the funds on hold.

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

The frozen money is annoying but nothing to worry about. However I’d echo do not let them collect based on this payment, it will go wrong.

Ruffuz

DO NOT let them collect the item. This is a known scam, they will collect then put in a claim with PayPal as item not received.
PayPal will then ask you for proof of postage which you obviously won’t have then refund the buyer.

I despise PayPal and eBay tbh. Too many scammers and crooks for my liking
Tried Gumtree lately??? :)

John7

Echo the above - this smells like a big scam. Do not send or give the item to anyone until the funds are cleared/released and in your account. The collect and then claim goods not received is also a potential danger that you will lose your money and not be covered for loss.

Miss Mandy

I missed the bit about them wanting to collect; do not let them do that as you'll really struggle to get your money then. I would never let anyone on eBay collect from me as it's too easy for them to claim they haven't received it. Collection doesn't provide any tracking that meets eBay's criteria so it's not worth the risk on a high value item.

Seb Briggs

I’ve had a few of those recently on higher value items but as soon as items is sent and delivered the funds are released.
I echo the comments about collection though

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom