1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay or not ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Ymegod, May 12, 2005.

1. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a fairly reasonable 35mm photographer but a total novice re; digital photography I would like to know whether it is worthwhile buying equipment off of eBay.
    I have four Canon 35mm cameras and several Canon lenses but, even when bought new, the cost of these just about amount to the cost of a 27-40 Canon lens bought from a High Street retailer.
    However on eBay there would appear to be bargains to be had particularly from a seller in Canada whose items always attract a lot of bidders. I have read threads on this Forum by at least two people who have bought from the seller in Canada and are very happy. I just wondered about any risk involved.
    I would also be obliged if anybody could advise as to buying lenses from eBay. A person on another forum maintains he has saved a fortune buying Canon lenses from Hong Kong. For whatever reason it sounds distinctly iffy sending hard earned to Hong Kong whereas sending money to Canada doesn`t. Strange eh ?
    Hope somebody can help before I launch myself wholeheartedly into the mysterious world of digital photography.

2. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe 99% of my ebay buys have been A1 and the one or two that weren't I got refunds for. So, as a market place it is great. At least you know a sellers hostory and can see what people say about them.

The 'HK import' situation is that you may have to pay VAT and Duty and 'collectors fees' amounting to possibly 25% on top of the buy price. The SAME applies to US and Canadian sellers. Doesn't apply to EU purchases as we're all 'European' now :thumbsup: and can trade freely across borders. Some German sellers are cheaper than Uk but not by much.

Most time you don't pay these import fees but sometimes you may and it's a bit of a lottery. Some HK sellers say they will pay them if you are charged and they seem to do that from reports and feedback. In this situation the importation risk is gone. You do need to check the warrentee situation to make sure you're covered.

So, in conclusion, go into it with eyes open, chosse a seller whom promises to pay import fees when you can, check their feedback is 98% and over and check the warentee. BUT also shop around in the UK to get a real sense of prices. Many times you will find online places much cheaper than the high street ... Jessops often price matches these prices so you get the best of both worlds.

Second hand well go in to it with eyes open. A seller with 100% transaction positive feedback over 50 + sales is probably OK :thumbsup: and you can ask a question. If they respond quickly and honestly in detail they are probably Ok. Be clear about what you want and you mayt need to be patient to get the best bargain. have a limit and DON'T bid beyond. As a seller, I have had many sales of items go beyond the shop around new price. People get excited and competitive in bidding and so the price shoots up. You only need bid once and wait until near the end. No need to enflame bidding war.