eBay now dictating postage costs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hades, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    A good move for those that try and rip you off with postage costs.... but a bad move when it won't let you charge the right price.

Listing a house phone and its going to cost £8.25 for Special Delivery. But won't let me list it as there is a £7 postage limit for that category :mad:

No idea when this was implemented but its bloody annoying. So had to list it as 1st class recorded delivery.

Also tried to list a DVD and it would not let me charge for postage, I had to offer free delivery, so just increased the price for the DVD.

Anyone know when this all changed?

You also have to offer a returns policy from March.

I have used eBay for near on 10 years with buying and selling. But with all these changes being forced on you, I will just probably buy from now on.

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I can understand why to a certain extent.

There were clearly a lot of sellers who were trying to avoid listing fees by charging a small price for the product, and then overcharging for postage.
    The end price to the customer is the same, but ebay only get commission on the small price of the product.

But they need to implement some realistic limits. Otherwise, you are going to be paying ebay a listing fee on the part of your product price you have had to raise in order to cover your costs. :thumbsdow

3. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    The phone weighs 1.25kg boxed, which is £8.25 via SD... they have made a right arse of this change.

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +793
    Although its great to see realistic P&P prices come into eBay, I don't think it was their duty to introduce them.

I was always shocked at some of the P&P charges from some sellers, but I would never buy from these people. I think people should have been left to make that decision themselves.

But if it makes everything cheaper for buyers then can't be a bad thing.

5. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    i got an item up with 12.99 pnp but its pretty big

as long as they let me choose parcelfarse 48 i dont mind so much

the forced returns will be a big problem, it should be up to the seller as long as its clearly marked the buyer can choose to bid or not, returns should not be enforced ....

6. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Ebay don't get final fees on the postage cost so it's not to help the customers, it's to stop people selling things for 1p with 30quid postage and them loosing out. By making you increase the price they are just skimming a few extra pence off the final fee on each sale.

7. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    The problem here is if the phone goes missing, I am not covered. The only option now is to increase the price of the phone and still offer SD.

8. kevandalice

kevandalice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I can't see why people have a problem with excessive postage prices.
    The cost is clearly shown. Just set your max bid to account for this.

9. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Unfortunately many ebay users lack the simple intelligence to do as you suggest and then whine about being 'ripped off' :rolleyes:

10. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    I have charged £1 in the past for posting a DVD and still got a low mark on postage costs :thumbsdow

11. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    This was an email I got from eBay early this year.

Important: make sure your listings are up to date

* For Books, Music, DVDs & Movies and Video Games listings: Remove any references from your item descriptions to shipping charges that exceed the maximums. Listings in violation are now being taken down.

* Make sure your shipping charges reflect the new carrier rates: by January 5 for UPS and by January 18 for USPS.

* Remove any references to checks and money orders from your listing descriptions. Starting January 15 these listings will be taken down.

* If you are shipping globally, add customs "disclaimer" text to your description to help protect your Feedback.

* A return policy and handling time must be specified in your listings by mid-March.

12. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    In general a good idea, seen so many far east based sellers charging a penny for the product but adding the products value to the postage. So you'll see an mp3 player priced £1 and the postage will be £20. Ebay lose out on the commision, seems fair in most cases.

13. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    I can understand why they are doing it and they will be making a tidy sum from it too now.

Very clever making me offer free postage for the DVD. As I'll just add the postage costs onto the price of the DVD and they get extra from the final value fee. So buyer isn't actually getting free postage at all.

14. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    We have ordered some flooring in the past and they wanted to put an extra charge of delivery to Scotland as it is sooooo remote. I asked if they place a surcharge for West Wales or Cornwall (Cornwall was further from them than us) and they said 'no why'. I informed them that we were around ten minutes for the major trunk road which in turn is straight onto the M'way. When I lived in E Yorks it was an hour to the M'way but no surcharge there. :mad: Hopefully if Ebay stick a realisitic postage limit it may be better but seeing as Ebay is a bit of a toothless tiger with regard to disputes and sticking up for people I doubt it.

15. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    A petition should be started to boycott ebay - for various reasons to show them that no matter how big they are they can't bully every single ebay user whenever they feel like it.

16. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I've not used eBay for a while, so this came as a bit of a shock. The ridiculous thing is if one uses their own postage estimator for a DVD it suggests 66p (2nd class) plus 50p for packaging.

Worse still, eBay.com still allows users to charge for shipping DVDs

17. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Are there any other online auction sites that are reliable with a good amount of users, I've got hundreds of region 1 DVDs to sell. I prefer auctions because one doesn't have to pay a great deal of attention to them until it's all over and done with.

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Well, it's not an online auction site, but it's certainly got a good amount of users, who are all honest, reliable and decent peeps, and you can set postage to whatever you want, with no set-charges required by the site itself (unlike e-Bay).

Now, I think it's called something like... Oooh, let me think.... Ummm, AV Forums! :rotfl:

Pooch

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    AV Forums isn't suitable for everyone as it is expected that sellers will log in a couple of times a day and many people are unable to do that, which is probably why Confucius suggested that an auction site may be more suitable for his requirements.

20. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
  21. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Listed my iPhone for sale on eBay the other day and when I weighed it to inc insurance for £250 it came to £8.25 SD. eBay like the OP wouldn't let me charge more than £7 so I'm loosing on this.

Set buyer requirements to only users with PayPal etc, someone bids, wins and then won't pay as they "don't use paypal, but have an account so they can use eBay!!!" I refuse to sell it to them and now I am getting threats from this person threatening to "smash my f*ing face in because I won't sell to them." I reported it to eBay mid last week and no joy except "please try to resolve the sale ammicably for both yours and the buyers sake!"

To top it all the buyer lost me negative feedback saying the item I sold them was stolen and do not use. Funny that as I still have the item with me as THEY NEVER PAID FOR IT!! Only 10 mins ago I got a text from an unknown number saying "I know where you live otsser!".

Marvelous eh!

22. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787

Then report them to ebay, so they loose their account.
    Then the police for threatening behaviour

23. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    What's he going to do, get his Daddy to drive to Northampton so he can shout abuse at you and kick you in the shins? :D

24. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah I know its so pathetic. I had a phone call about 1130 from him saying can I pick the phone up tonight. I said no I'd already sold it elsewhere because you messed me around and I don't deal with bullies who threaten people.

I then said, thanks for your custom, and if you continue to hassle me I'll pass on your details to the police for them to deal with. He hung up.

Some people are just idiots they really are. Best thing is to neuter them now so stop them polluting the gene pool for the future.

25. whirlybat

whirlybat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Couple of points

[email protected]@ hits the nail on the head - there's no such thing as free postage. Postage will get added to the asking price of the item. Another symptom of this change will be that sellers will just choose the cheapest delivery option to send their packages meaning buyers experience longer delays before receiving their item.

Monopot - Always amazes me that buyers can leave feedback before they've even paid for the item :rolleyes:

I've been dicked around by a few buyers and I'm no longer able to leave negative feedback to warn other sellers. This all seems one sided in the buyers favour and offers sellers little protection.

The only winner here is eBay, a cynical move on their part to cream off more money in FVF's. eBay already takes 10% of everything I sell!

Please please somebody with the might of Google or someone offer a creditable alternative to eBay. I for one would switch. Amazon and the others just don't get the exposure needed for sellers to sell effectively :thumbsdow

26. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,880
    I would report that to the police.

27. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I had one who used his ebay account in the course of his business - he was a photographer selling photographs, framed prints and such.

He sold me a 2nd hand lens, which though described as "perfect, like new" looked more like it had been buried in the Sahara when it arrived.

When I complained his response was "what do you expect, its 2nd hand", "if you are that picky you should have bought a new one" and so on.

So I complained to ebay - who like you first suggested we "resolve the dispute amicably".
    However he refused to do so, basically getting quite abusive and telling me to get lost....

So I escalated with ebay, and to be fair, they were very good.

Within days, he was grovelling with me to allow him to "resolve the dispute amicably" as ebay had locked his account :smashin:

But what a dumbarse, using his business account like that....

28. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Ebay is NOT the place it once was. It used to be easy to use, bargains for buyers and be I good channel sellers - oh and people used to use bids (!sarcasm!) rather than BUY IT NOW!

Twice I have had things go wrong, as a buyer and as a seller and they do jack diddly squat about resolving the problems.

Stuff 'em, use AVFORUMS where you can and some other online auction sites - maybe play or amazon?

All Ebay is turning itself into an online shop, where the prices on 2nd hand item are often higher than new from other online stores :eek:, and customer service is inconsistent and delivery can be risky.

29. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    My problem with this seller was the only had 2 sales, both rated positive, but when you looked at the comments they were left by seller saying "DON'T TRUST DOESN'T PAY" and "THREATENED ME WHEN THEY DIDN'T PAY". I pointed this out to eBay and they weren't fussed as the person would just setup another acct.

Lesson learnt for me.

30. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Why does it seem that everything sold on Ebay appears to be either from Hong Kong or China?