1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay - NEC XG75 sold for just £521

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22610&item=5721700803&rd=1

Very decent NEC XG75 just sold for only £521 on Ebay, a remarkable deal! Barely a year ago this would have easily sold for £1500 to £2000. Some slight wear on the green but even so, this has to be the lowest price I've ever seen a decent hi-end 8" crt projector go for, an absolute steal at this price. (For reference the XG's are only bested by liquid-coupled models and can give quite a few 9" crt's a good run for their money)

Prices on crt's are really hitting rock bottom these days so anyone still looking to get a crt might want to keep an eye on Ebay as there have been a few crackers recently and they really are going for peanuts.

At the price it sold I'd have bought it myself if I'd seen it sooner. Well done to the lucky winner.
    Paul

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I was watching that one too, silly price it went for. With people jumping on the digital bandwagon, prices for CRT's will keep dropping.

All the better bargains for us !! :D:clap:

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Wow that is unreal!
    I sold my XG-75 back in the spring for £1750 I think it was, and that was still a bargin compared to the image I got from the HD2+ DLP I replaced it with.

4. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes - and it would have sold for just £324 if I hadn't upped the ante at the last minute! I was surprised there wasn't more action at the end.

Being new to this game (only had a PJ installed for about a month) I didn't want to get carried away and overbid. I don't really know what the market situation is yet, but I agree that the winner seems to have a got a very good deal.

I was really just looking to snip an opportunist bargain myself, as I'm quite content with my mint NEC 6PG on the ceiling at the moment. But once the bug has bitten (and it has!) it’s hard to resist the urge to upgrade even if not really necessary.

More opportunities to fiddle and tweak, rather than just watching boring old movies!

BTW, hi to everyone in the forum! :hiya: This is my first post, but I’m looking forward to getting acquainted over the coming months.

Chris

5. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was a stunning deal!

Providing the internals are sound of course.

I had an old and dying Barcodata 808 which had perfect tubes but would regularly lose focus and convergence because the boards had so much wear - the run time was in excess of 25,000 hrs.

I put it up on ebay around May/June this year and started bidding off at £1, in the end it went for over £600! Apparently when the guy came to collect he said that he'd only bought it for the tubes and was planning to use the rest of the projector as spares.

Certainly at the prices CRT are going for nowadays its entirely feasible to do this.

Personally I think that CRT's will be very few and far between in 2 years time. Especially as Digital's seem to be moving at such a fast pace these days. Lets face it who wants a huge box which perhaps isn't as easy to setup as a digital for many. Digitals are making front projection much more accessible and home friendly, whilst still offering great images.Its easy to predict that sooner rather than later CRT will be laid to rest.

6. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Shinobiwan,

Nice of you to let us know all this when you sold it, NOT!!!!

Bought it for the tubes my arse.

Anyway, I can't believe you got that Parasound for £100, what a steal.

7. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but do I know you?

If you are Gareth who collected the Barco then you clearly knew all about the problems with the focus and convergence drift. I had all this info in my ebay advert and I explained it to you when you collected, where you simply stated the projector was for the tubes and spares only.

Why are you now saying otherwise?

Again what are you talking about? I paid £360 for the Parasound amp from the classifieds here and from forum member bbanduser around a month ago. I wish he would have come down to £100 but even my bartering skills aren't that good!

8. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You've just proved what a liar you are, copy & paste this address to see the ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemWithCategory&item=5708204440

You know there was no mention of these faults either on ebay or when we came to collect. And as for it being for spares, where did you dream that up? It seems your reliability is reflected all over the net, booted off ebay as angela210961 then booted off AV Forums as Shinobiwan.

You know which Parasound I mean, the 5.1 processor.

I can't weigh you up, you go through av equipment more than I change my undies, you even sold your DVD collection on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46762&item=6306991247), you're weird!!!

9. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about your troubles but it appears that you're out to moan at anyone who has happened to sell a barco.

You do realise that more than one of these have shifted through ebay? The person who collected mine knew about the problems.

And why do you keep banging on about Parasound equipment? You talk as though you know me, yet the specifics are all wrong.
    I did buy a Parasound 5 channel amp here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147447&highlight=parasound

But have never seen let alone owned a parasound processor.

10. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You obviously have less of a brain than I'd credited you with.

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Lets see what Shinobiwan & Funkmonkey have in common

Shinobiwan:
    1) active AV Forums member until 4/9/04
    2) averages approx 2 posts a day
    3) from the Sheffield area (Chesterfield)
    4) recently sold Barco 808, opting for digital projector instead
    5) started thread asking opinions on digital projectors with Sanyo Z2 & Panasonic AE500 on short list
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140562
    6) recently sold a big batch of reg 2 DVDs averaging around £4 each
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46762&item=6306991247
    (check out genres & titles of films listed)
    7) bought Servo 15 in August
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146731
    8) many other posts in Subwoofers section about buying & selling servos including this comparing Servo 15 & CS-Ultra
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146731
    9) familiar subject wording of threads, eg "Budget (<£150) surround speaker mini reviews "
    10) bought Parasound processor from maiduk on ebay but probably sold it before he had chance to change his undies
    11) fan of games, posts in pc gaming section (probably why he changed from CRT to digital, to avoid tube wear)
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144440
    12) pi**ed off fellow AV Forms member, ie me, selling me dodgy projector

Funkmonkey:
    1) active AV Forums member since 5/9/04
    2) averages approx 2 posts a day
    3) from the Sheffield area
    4) recently sold Barco 808, opting for digital projector instead
    5) started thread asking opinions on digital projectors with Sanyo Z2 & Panasonic AE500 on short list
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152774
    6) recently sold a big batch of reg 2 DVDs averaging around £4 each
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151075
    (check out genres & titles of films listed)
    7) selling Servo 15 now at AV Forums
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153434
    8) many other posts in Subwoofers section about buying & selling servos including this saying just ordered PC Ultra
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152853
    9) familiar subject wording of threads, eg "Budget Projector Choice? (<£1300)"
    10) owns Parasound amplifier
    11) fan of games, posts in pc gaming section (probably why he changed from CRT to digital, to avoid tube wear)
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152909
    12) pi**ed off fellow AV Forums members with comments about a subwoofer
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152438

I could go on and on but I'm sure I've made my point, you don't have to be Columbo to work this one out!

11. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I was a bit disappointed funkymonkey's account was deleted so quickly, I wanted to see what lame excuse he came up with or even still tried to deny he was Shinobiwan.

12. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what exactly is wrong with the Barco?

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    ShinObiWAN and funkymonkey are indeed the same person. Something which is against the rules. The person is a bad trader, too - sending ex-rental DVDs sold as used retail copies on more than one occasion.
    Don't want that sort of person round here. Banned.

14. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ahhh, sh*t for brains is back!

15. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Seriously Shinobiwan/Funkmonkey or whatever your name is, tell me what exactly is wrong with it. It was in your earlier post which has now been deleted and we haven't touched it since collecting it, it was going to go on the ceiling after Christmas when the house it's going in was decorated.

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    ShinObiWAN

do the decent thing and tell the guy what is up with the projector, it is bad enough to sell something that you know is not working 100% but to let him sit there not knowing is even worse.
    How would you feel if you had you room decorated and mounts installed for a certain projector to find out it was all for nothing.
    Just email one of the mods with a description of the fault so they can post it.

17. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    From memory i think he said it had focus problems.

Adrenochrome.

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I think what he said is that it would lose focus and convergence after being on for a while. It may well be that in a decent temperature controlled room and with some warm up before use (which you shodl do anyway) it will be fine......or it may not...

Gordon

19. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Thanks for the moral support folks.

The scenario was, The projector was bought for my brother in about May/June time this year to replace his LCD unit, my friend Gary has a data 808s which was installed by Roland in april time, my brother saw it and was totally gobsmacked with its picture so he had to have one.

The data 808 from shinobiwan seemed like a steal from the start, it sold for £611, was advertised as originally coming from Henry @ crtprojectors at a cost of £2600 (which was a blatant lie in itself) and having a new blue tube and red and green been pretty decent, probably between 7 and 8, which they are. all good so far.

Ive met and dealt with Henry @ CRT on numerous occasions (top bloke, helpful and has repaired my CRT on numerous occasions) and i personally don't think he would sell a projector with a hour count as high as this.

The unit was demonsrated at shinobiwans house in a very unconverged state. He said originally Gordan @ convergant av had come round to install and calibrate the unit. If you can remember Gordon, (no offense but i don't think you installed this clowns projector i think he just came out with another blatant lie). The barco was in a bedroom about 11ft x 13ft lying under the bed, which was on stilts, it was surreal.

He seemed very genuine so we all took him on face value. Buying used projectors out there is a minefield, you may get a good one or you may get a load of trouble, we thought that as the unit was shown working, the seller seemed genuine and it had pretty decent tubes it was a fair deal.

The projector has been in storage now at my house since may/jun, I never thought anything about it until, ol' shinobiwan/funkymokey posted about "my tired and dying Barco data 808", "loses convergance and focus" down to its high hour count, i could have sworn he mentioned when he sold it that most of the boards had been changed :nono:, no offense but he must be so so stupid, i told him when we collected the projector i regularly posted on avsforum and lurked avforums all the time, so he ought to have known what he posted would be read,

Anyway sorry for venting my frustration, thanks for the advice Gordon about temperature controlled environment, I best get the unit onto the living room table and up and running running to see what problems are in store.

Never looked inside a Barco before, i know Electrohome ECPs and sony 1031s like the back of my hand.

I'm guessing, by shinobimorons post the convergance and focus/rgb boards are tired, they will be easy to replace but at what cost?, im sure its worth throwing a few quid at

All the best

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I don't install projectors. Never have. I always outsource that work. I also don't think any 808 owners have had me in their homes doing ISF....at least none I can remember. Where does he live?

Gordon

21. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Re reading your comments I'm sure I'd remember a pj under a bed on stilts........

so I think it's safe to say I have never seen this projector.....

Gordon

22. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi there

Gordon, it came from the south side of Sheffield, near Chesterfield.

Regards

James

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Well I've only got one customer around Chesterfield and he has a Barco CRT(not 808)....however it's in a glorious dedicated theatre and it was still there on Monday when I was there :)

So I guess you can add that to his lie list......

Gordon

24. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As some background to this NEC auction.

This was a real chancer,the seller could not provide hours of use or tube shots. :lease:

Because of this,this was only worth the eventual sale price. A lot of the value you pay for crt is piece of mind and with NEC`s If their colour balance is screwed up you have a hell of a problem on your hands,It is not enough to correct the g2`s you have to go right back to Mechanical white balance setup...aaarrggh!!!!

NEVER..never..Buy a NEC unless you can see it working with video material

25. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Which NEC auction are you talking about? The auction linked in my first post clearly details the hours and provides pictures of the tubes. The seller also has a high rating and a very good track record so if this is indeed the same NEC auction that you refer to, I'd hardly call the seller a "real chancer", far from it.
    Paul

26. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,
    This was a chancer and I`ll tell you why.

First this is a guy that hasnt sold crt before,has no track record of selling crt or in fact any positive feedback that relates to selling crt.

The tube shots are abysmal and show nothing-though it was disclosed that one tube had a problem.

This item was relisted because so many people enquired about tube conditions-Including myself.

I asked a few questions none of which was satisfactorily answered,this was clearly a person that had no knowledge of crt-and therefore could not support the product in any way.

In this situation,were I interested I would definately have to see this projector working with moving video because like I mentioned in another thread,with NECS they are known to suffer from colour balance problems and they are a pig to fix if this is out because you may have to redo the whole mechanical white balance which is a nightmare.

But at the point I enquired,he could power it up that was all.

Taking all these factors into consideration it was a chancer and as such only worth 500 pounds.

Certainly one tube needed replacing-cant comment on the others because the pics were so poor,you may be surprised to hear the cost of a tube for this :oops:

So then this "bargain" is not such a bargain. Then if you replaced one tube your total cost is 1300 pounds easy.(Assuming the other 2 tubes are o.k.)

Now 1300 pounds for a Nec XG 75 with dubious hours-1946-(sneeze and you can change the hours on a NEC>) Is still a fair price.

..Assuming there is nothing else wrong with it. Being that its been kicking around a warehouse with loads of dust and dirt and almost certainly rough handling-this is a recipe for disaster.

So IF I had purchased I would have had a full service immediately-lucky to get change out of 200 pounds...

That makes it 1500 pounds.(Assuming there is nothing amiss..)

So even giving the benefit of the doubt in a lot of areas this was not a cheap purchase ultimately.

NOW,when you can buy a top notch,immaculate XG 110 for 2k ish..with genuine low hours and three perfect tubes -and see it working,would you pay an extra 500 pounds for total piece of mind and the extra quality in terms of reliability of product,internal condition,external condition?

I certainly would.

The trouble is people want to believe they are getting a bargain-and seldom -if ever-do you get that sort of bargain on a crt.
    Normally you get precisely what you pay for.

Im looking at crt`s all the time,I wouldnt have paid 500 pounds for that particular crt,but then I would rather pay a little more and get quality.

That quality/pedigree may command a premium upfront but save in the long run.

What people should be trying to do i.m.h.o. is get 3k`s worth of quality for 2k.

This is the wise purchase. But trying to get 2-3k`s worth of quality for 500 pounds? ALWAYS a risk,ALWAYS A CHANCER.

27. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I agree with Projectiondream. I know it can be painful putting your hand in your pocket at first, but paying that bit extra up front, to my mind is a bit like an insurance policy.
    What price can you put on peace of mind?

All of us have to be happy that the hard earned we are forking out is money well spent.

regards

Parmenion

28. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'd have bought it if I'd been aware of the auction. I'd have considered it a gamble, but if the convergence proves stable and the projector functional, then even if the pj has seen better days, it would still completely shame any LCD projector bought for £500.

What's the worst case scenario? Getting completely stiffed, and having to re-sell it with an honest description for spares / repair? I'd bet you'd still get £300 for it... Unlikely though, given the seller has a 99% rating on the back of 1500 trades.

Andy

29. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,
    Dont get me wrong,I`m the same as the next man inasmuch as we all like to think we have got the best possible deal-and what could be better than a Nec XG 75 for 500 pounds?

As I detailed above,It could wind up costing a lot more-thats a consevative estimate.

The seller wasn`t crt proficient no matter how good his feedback for selling a variety of items-could he tell you if the mechanical white balance was untouched since factory setup? Could he tell you if there were any caps on the verge of going? Even what rating he would give the tubes?

No-one saw this working? All three tubes could have been shot,maybe 2 of then were o.k...maybe one..who knows?

What you can be sure of in this age of easily obtained info.from the net,Is IF this was a mint Nec HE WOULDN`T HAVE SOLD IT FOR 500 POUNDS!!

How long would it have taken him to check out similar prices for this model? 5 mins? He doesnt have to be crt proficient to get a feel for what this could be worth.

I would see no point in paying 500 pounds to then sell it for spares for 300???

..and where do you get that figure of 300 pounds from? What are you assuming is salvagable and what is not?

In the U.S. selling NEC spares -fine ,,but in the u.k.? the NEC is not a widely available or known crt-as good as it is..How many people would buy NEC spares in the u.k.?

You going to sell them on E-Bay? you have listing fees-If you ship abroad you have the hassle of shipping etc..(and most NEC spares would be bought from overseas buyers I guarantee you that.)

Even selling as spares it could be more trouble than its worth!

Where I do agree,is that even if its fairly mediocre with wear conmensurate with the hours(though I doubt these are genuine.) then it ices ANY dlp under 15k.

30. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    £300 was plucked from the air, I concede that. :)

I think it all comes down to how risk averse the individual is. For whatever reason I've always been happy to buy my CRTs cheap and take my chances. To date I've perhaps been lucky, but I've always figured that *any* projector can go up in smoke 13 months after you've bought it, and I'd rather have a dead £500 pj on my hands than a dead £3k one... Even if the liklihood of expiry is increased with a non-Roland / Henry / Gordon sourced projector, admittedly...

I do think the bottom has fallen out of the value of anything that isn't a Barco though. How many people are there out there with £2k to pay for a decent XG-75 right now, anyway? I think that there are bargains to be had, and while it's a minefield for the clueless, myself included, several hundred pounds can now buy pj that several thousands would have needed to secure only 3 or 4 years ago.

My current pj, a NEC 9PG blows the socks off the next best projector I've owned, a Seleco 400... It cost less than a 6th of what I paid for the Seleco in 2001 too.
    Certainly the best £400 I've ever spent!

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.