Ebay iPhone replacement service

BimmerJimmer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
OK, so my wife dropped her iphone in the toilet (apparently its quite common).
After drying in the airing cupboard and opening her up and using a hair dryer (as suggested on a little google search) the phone will start up but not get past the apple logo. iTunes recognises it but because it has a passcode I am unable to proceed.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I've looked into various repair services and inevitably turned to ebay where I discovered a few sellers that will replace your broken iphone with a new one for a nominal fee. At first I was sceptical but having trawled through some feedback it seems to be genuine

one here

Anybody used this kind of service before?

What do you think?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
At a guess I think they just type your serial number into the apple warrantee checker and if it is still under warranty either take it to or send it to apple who may replace it under warranty?

If it was me and had a genius bar near me (which I do) I would make an appointment tell them exactly what happened (it was dropped down the toilet) and see what they have to say. They might exchange it (there was a bloke on here who did this and they replaced it free of charge) or they might charge you for a replacement, which last time I read about it was about £140. I guess you don't have to take them up on it and have nothing to loose?

Like I have said I think this is what they do but I have no proof so it's just a hunch.

I took mine swimming an in a jacuzzi and the genius gave me a new one because he was in a good mood! It should have been £140 due to water damage!

sorry to call you 'some bloke' but I couldn't remember who it was :)

Hadn't thought of that - I'm not sure whether they would consider mine as I have already replaced a broken screen successfully. And also have taken it apart to try and dry out the components.

The big barrier is that the nearest apple store is 40 miles away or so. I'd definitely make the trip if I thought I could get a replacement for £140 - perhaps I should just call them and be honest about it.

Doh - just tried to call them but can't actually get thorough to a human to find out where I stand.

Last edited:
Apple will do an exchange replacement of just about any faulty iPhone for about £140. Apple - Support - Service Answer Center To quote from the page that I linked to :-

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Hang on a minute, you can't proceed because it has a passcode, but it's your wife's phone?! Surely she knows the passcode? :confused:

Yep, can't get to a screen to enter a pass code. It's a real shame as there is a couple of nice pictures of the kids on there and a bunch of contacts that are now gone. So frustrating when iTunes seems to communicate with it.

You might be lucky and a genuis may be able to get the stuff off for you. Take a usb stick when you go just in case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom