1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Idiot

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by slowen, Jan 25, 2005.

1. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out this ebay link someone is selling information on where to buy a cheap psp, the thing that made me laugh was the price of £100 for the information.

They are being sneaky by putting at the very end of the specs that you are only buying information, if you don't read it until the very end it looks like you are getting a PSP for £100 but your not.

There are too many people offering crap like this which is totally useless

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5746705923&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

:censored:'s like this should be banned from doing this

I feel sorry for anyone that falls for this, if you want to buy a cheap psp just look on the internet

2. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Report him anyway. I doubt eBay will do anything though. Judging from his feedback he looks like a weasel.

I think people should be banned from selling links on eBay. It's not illegal, but it's hardly moral, especially when some links are readily available just by googling, and it clutters the listings.

I complained about one of these types of auctions on the eBay forums - I got reported by some bored narc for asking about it!

3. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will report it, where about do you report it

It gets to me the way some people are so sneaky by adding at the very bottom you are only getting information. Not being funny but who would pay £100 for information, I know some people sell links on ebay for like £0.99 which is still wrong as as you say you can find them via google

4. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find the report link on eBay now!

5. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's using the bamboozle tactic. Selling something at £100 will make people think it's the genuine item, and most people won't read the entire paragraph because they'll think it's all technical data.
    Those who list these things for £1 or whatever are more obvious, but for £100 most will think it's the genuine item.
    I found how to report someone using Help, but it doesn't give you anywhere to explain why it's wrong.

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
  7. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish eBay would spend some time and money monitoring their listings. They take no responsibility at all for what's being sold on their servers

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,075
    You have got to laugh at the idiots bidding though!!

Yes, the sellers are sneaky/dodgy etc, but there are so many bidders who clearly haven't grasped the concept of reading yet it's no wonder these sellers keep at it.

9. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As they say.....

"Buyer Beware"

Agree that these info sales are morally dubious but if the buyer cannot be bothered to read the details then they have to accept a certain level of responsibility.

10. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is no excuse for such dishonesty. That guy selling the pic for £230 absolutely infuriates me. Dont Paypal offer protection if ebay doesn't?

If I was mislead like this I would not be annoyed about losing the £230 but the extra £30000 I would have to pay to get him dealt with

11. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £230 for a picture, wonder if the person ever got there money back but i bet the seller diverted the funds out of his account as soon as they went it.

The only time it mentions picture is is once in the title, surely it there should have been some mention of what the auction is for in all the text there.

I know you have to be very careful on ebay as when I was new to ebay I nearly got ripped off when I tried to buy a pair of Oakley sunglasses

That seller is a sneaky :censored:

12. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Is A Scam And Is Featured In A Games Mag This Month.

13. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I agree that it's wrong and a scam, but it does say "picture" in the title and also at the end of the description. Many e-bayers get carried away with auction fever BUT if I was willing to part with £230 I'd probably show a little more caution. Ask any solicitor and "Buyer Beware" is the cornerstone of all second hand/private sales and should be in ones mind at all time.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    I read some of his feedback and notice that he was also selling the link to this site. One persons mentioned that the site sells copies. I read on and there is a very misleading statement on the site which says "All our games are real imports and are properly packaged and poly sealed, we never sell inferior CDR copies.". This could simply mean that the games themselves are the imported versions which have been copied onto DVD's and then poly sealed by them. It gives the impression though that they are selling imported original games without actually saying that.

At the end of the day noone could be selling a GT4 original for £12.99. What I don't get though is how this site is allowed to trade!?!?! It's piracy on a huge scale if they are selling copies!

Another thing I don't get is how they can sell PES4 when it is only called that in the EU and Winning Eleven 8 everywhere else. There's no point in importing from the EU as games are no cheaper in other European countries. The guy's review then says that there's Jap writing on the back of the case but the game is in English?? Winning Eleven 8 is in Japanese throughout so this proves this to be very dodgy indeed.

15. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Regardless of how stupid someone may be (i noticed nearly 40 people placed a bid for the PSP picture - or PIC as it was reffered to) its a blatant attempt to obtain money by deception and thats illegal. If i paint a copy of a masterpiece and try to sell it as the original and casually mention at some point to the buyer that its not as good as Picassos surely that wouldnt be enough to get me of the hook.

The person selling links did everything possible to make it look as though you were buying the full product, the price - just enough to make it look OK, limiting the quantity to 6 (if its just info then the more they sell the better, it wont cost them any more) and also putting down free postage. The little comment at the end "good luck" also takes you back to the idea that there are only a few.

I have bought info and links from Ebay having looked around myself on the web for the same details and comming up empty handed, the seller was very honest about the whole thing.

I know ebay are very big and have millions of sales going through but they have a duty to protect people who use their site (just because youre not as intellegent as the next man it shouldnt mean that people are allowed to take advantage), if they get a complaint about this kind of item for sale they should just ban the user selling the stuff. :lesson:

16. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm all for consumer rights and this is obviously a scam but who in their right mind pays £230 to an e-bayer with no track record (look at his feedback) for an item that says it's a picture. Yes, it is dubious but the goods are technically sold as described. I do have sympathy for anyone caught out by this but they have to accept responsibilty for not exercising caution and not reading the description completely. If I was the purchaser you'd have to put it down to experience/a costly lesson.

17. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    It does at the bottom.

It says:

!

18. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did not bother reading it all the way through as I was told it was a scam, if I seen it on ebay I would have read it all the way as there are too many con men on there to rip people off

19. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Never pay with westen union either. Because if this is how they want you to pay then it's almost certainly a scam. If they will not accept pay pal even when you offer them extra money for peice of mind, then something is obviously up.

Also you could be sent a phony email, that is ment to be from ebay. This happened to me, the guy was selling a receiver and I 'won' it cheap, but then he conteacted me saying he wanted to be paid by westen union.
    When I said I would pay via paypal or personal pick it up with cash, he said he was out of the country and had trouble with pay pal so would only accept westen union.

I then recieved an email that was ment to be from ebay safe harbour but he had sent it himslef, i'm guessing as when i sent it to ebays spoof department they said it didn't come from ebay.

I then told him personal pickup as it's unfair for me to wait till he comes back to get get it if i'm paying him now. The excuse came back saing he needed the money as soon as possible.

The final email I send was in the form of i'm not gonna pay by westen union and I am not a guilible fool, if he was truely genuine then the payment methods offered would be acceptable, espectialy cash. I did not recieve any communication after that. Hopefuly I saved someone from being conned, a similar but less drawn out thing happened with a projector but as soon as I offered to pay with pal pal and would compensate him, communication stoped.

The lesson is do't pay anyone on ebay with cash/intsant transfer and always be on your guard as you can't trust ANYONE on ebay. Even if they have a high rating the account could be stolen.

20. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Although I didn't get "ripped" off from an auction, I have had a run in with a seller. The item was paid for using PayPal on my Amex card and when it arrived it wasn't exactly what I'd wanted - It was a watch with a grey face as opposed to a white face. Now most people would think I was being fussy - problem was I already owned the one with the grey face.

I sent him emails saying what's he want to do, send me the right one, refund me or what - no response.

Now I SHOULD have gone to PayPal - but as I'm hotheaded, I went to Amex directly (they have a 100% secure thing for internet transactions :)) Anyway I got my money credited back AND a rap on the knuckles from PayPal, I assume AmEx sent the heavies in ;)

As someone said - make sure you know what you are supposed to be buying (which I had) and that if there's problems you KNOW you can get your cash back!!!

21. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've given up on ebay after selling only two things.

First thing i sold, no problem.

Second thing I sold I got an idiot who emailed me five hours after the auction closed demanding to know why I hadn't already shipped the thing. He was flying the next day and wanted it before he went. I objected to the tone of his email and sent him a full refund for the whole money and an email explaining why. He then sent the money back to me without even informing me and then complained becuase he didn't receive the goods (I had already sold them to the runner up bidder).

I ended up with negative feedback so I will stick to forums and amazon from now on. Too many idiots on ebay!

22. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not just bad buyers there are also sellers that are out to scam people, the good seem to out number the bad

23. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tell me about it, i put one of my psps up for sale before xmas, thought it would make someone a nice xmas present but some w**nker just put some stupid bid on it and then refused to pay, had his telephone number at the end of the auction so i phoned him up and he denied all knowledge, saying his account had been stolen, this was funny as hed made an alteration to an auction of his own after hed placed the bid on my account.

Dont get me wrong ebay is a great place to sell a lot of things but some categories, especially small sophisticated things like psps - that a lot of people dont understand, attracts a lot of scammers.

Anyway thats my 10cents.

24. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to get problems selling to people from USA as they ignore invoices and then take ages to pay not that everyone from USA is the same but that is the majority of my problems with ebay.

25. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yea i've expereiced that too, although i my case the guy was trying to pay with fake bid pay. Never did it to me but i got an email of people saying he thats what he was doing.