1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eBay FRAUD - BEWARE

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by geofftelforduk, Apr 14, 2005.

1. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    PLEASE READ BELOW AND BE CAREFUL, I nearly lost £700 (only I am very familiar with the internet and how web pages etc are built)

I was second highest bidder on a 20D on Monday night and then the next day, I received what looked like a genuine 'Second Chance Offer' from them!! There where a couple of things that were making me suspicious, e.g. strange links on the email etc. So I thought I will play along with it and see what happens! It ended up that the person 'offering' me the second chance was in Italy and they where being very forceful for me to pay the money for the camera, which I wasnt doing! SO then they tried another attempt by send an email supposedly from 'TNT Italy' saying that they had left the parcel in their custody and that I could do a Western Union (more suspicion) transfer to a TNT rep in Italy and then the item would be dispatched!! The money would only then be released to the seller when I was happy with the goods! So I called TNT UK to see what they thought!! After some investigation they have informed me with 100% confidence that this is fraud!! I couldnt believe it! I could very easily have been out £700 with absolutely no come back!! SO THIS IS WHY I AM CAUTIOUS!!! The second chance offer came from jadepriss@msn.com

2. joe public

joe public

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your scenario with the second chance offer is rather alarming I musts agree but it could explain why prodigital2000 has private auctions. It means that no unscrupulous traders can watch what your bidding on or contact you after to try a dodgy sale - makes sense doesn't it.

Joe

3. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Joe,

Do you know if the manual comes in English or not!

4. joe public

joe public

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    There is an ever growning number of ebayers who are bidding on their own items after a genuine customer has to ensure that they get the max bid out of the bidder. When the auction closes they just reject their own winning bid and give the genuine customer the 'second chance'

6. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    This is called 'shill' bidding (spelling?) and you can get a member banned because of it, I did :clap:

Keith

7. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had a similar thing happen after biding on a fujis2 pro, i got an email offerin a second chance bid, as the winner had not been able to pay, however, I became suspicious because the seller was not the original seller of the camera, although the emails etc were 100% real....so upon contacting ebay, they discovered that it was sent using a hijacked user account,...It is so easy to be duped on ebay, and even the internet in general, caution pays.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I had a simialr experiance wh a ATI X800XT PE from Italy. It seems that are a number of people who are upto this scam.

9. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Please take my advice to all Forum members, no matter what you are purchasing - this effects not only cameras, but predominently IT hardware (laptops, PC's etc).

Be advised that this is a genuine scam - TNT UK do not and have never operated a scheme where we hold goods until payment has been received before releasing the items for delivery - you will lose your money and you will not receive your goods.

I know because I work for TNT.

My department receives the web feedbacks sent via the TNT website and we receive a dozen or so mails every week from somebody who is complaining to TNT that they have not received their goods. Unfortunately we have to advise that this is nothing to do with TNT and to contact the Police.

This may appear to be an 'uncaring' attitude to take, however we cannot do the Police's work for them - this is a legal matter between the victim and the criminals and laws have been broken. We of course are very sympathetic to those caught out in this scam and from our side we are working in conjunction with the Police via our Security department - please don't think we are simply shrugging our shoulders and passing on the problem.

What we can do from our side is to implement a cease and desist order to those creating these sites - however these pop up and close down almost immediately and the best prevention is knowledge and awareness.

It is easy to be taken in though, these sites are very professionally constructed and look like official sites (they have even ripped off images from our website). I am not aware of any other carriers being effected like this, but the links I have seen are very plausible.

I will repeat again - we simply do not provide this service - you have been warned.

This has been a public service announcement...

:blush:

10. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    A few pointers for these situations:
    - Never ever use a service like Western Union for anyone you don't know personally
    - Never deal with an unconfirmed PayPal account
    - Be very suspicious of 2nd chance offers, even if the seller is genuine the product may not be all that. There is a reason the buyer pulled out...
    - If the deal is too good to be true....It is...

11. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
  12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Very slick.

13. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ...if you check the proporties of the images, you can see where they have ripped these from our official site - check for yourself ...

http://www.tntlogistics.com/en/

This is nothing to do with TNT...

14. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys,i post on a metal detecting forum,and it was posted on there that this happening with sales of metal detectors as well on E-bay.Be careful.