eBay feedback after dispute - advice

Dodgexander

A bit of advice from any eBayers out there?

I bought a graphics card on eBay as for parts, not working. In the sellers description he stated it worked a year ago but he hasn't tested it so is selling it for parts/not working. But when I received the item I could see that it wasn't even usable for parts, the seller or owner before him had tampered with the card. It was clear by the state of the heatsink and screws that the card had been bashed around many times and on the PCB there were obvious signs of heat damage.

My suspicion was that the seller had attempted to bake or reflow the card with a heatgun or oven, was unsuccessful with the repair and was trying to earn as much as he could by selling the card for parts when in fact no parts were even in a usable state.

Anyway, the seller refused the refund and I opened and won a paypal dispute, provided I returned the item too him.

My question is, do I leave the seller bad feedback? I have a pretty good idea that he has been obtaining cards like this one and attempting repairs on them. This is backed up by the fact he has been selling motherboards and video cards as "seller refurbished". But on the other hand I ended up getting what I wanted, even if it was in a dispute and everything is solved.

Of course there is nothing wrong with buying items and repairing them to re sell, but there is something wrong in buying them and then selling them on when you have already tried to repair the item. Without stating so.

It put me over 10 pounds out of pocket due to postage but is it fair of me to leave bad feedback? If I do I fear he will also leave me bad feedback.

What should I do?

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
This is what the feedback system is for, others may see your comment and take notice. May save someone else money and time. If he leaves you bad feedback then you can dispute it and even comment below it.

spoonuk

You can only leave positive feedback for the buyer so there is nothing you have to be scared of i.e. blast the guy with a negative. Just be careful with wording as eBay can remove any feedback if it breaches their "policy" as in if you call him an ID10T etc.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
It put me over 10 pounds out of pocket due to postage but is it fair of me to leave bad feedback? If I do I fear he will also leave me bad feedback.
Hell yes! You need to flag such pikey shenanigans. You haven't done anything wrong so if you get negged dispute it (you can do that).

The Dark Horse

A bit of advice from any eBayers out there?

In the sellers description he stated it worked a year ago but he hasn't tested it so is selling it for parts/not working.
I'm no expert on ebay but you say it was also described as "not working"

EDIT: Sorry misread your post, you bought for parts

nheather

Distinguished Member
When I did a recent dispute which was settled in my favour the item disappeared from my feedback list meaning that I could not easily leave any feedback.

I looked around in the eBay app and website but could not see anyway of retrieving the listing so that I could leave feedback.

I had to resort to google, which advised to look at any item and then change the URL to use your item number - you don't have to change anything else in the URL so it might seem strange that it contains the descriptive text for a totally different item but it works, just changing the ID retrieves your item. You will then be able to select 'leave feedback'.

Wven though this works, not impressed with eBay that you have to do this - leaving feedback is totally reasonable even if you have had a refund (especially if you are out of pocket). It should be be treated like the transaction never happened which is the eBay default.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom