Quantcast

eBay fee rip-off

daveb975

I sold an item on eBay recently and it got lost in the post.

The buyer opened a case against me, I couldn't provide adequate proof of posting, so eBay found in his favour and closed the case with a full refund. Fair enough and (expensive) lesson learnt on my part.

Then my next eBay fees invoice arrives, with no credit for that charge. I checked Paypal, and I can see the refund going through, and they have kept their charge as well.

I managed to get through to eBay on the phone but they can't really tell me why this would happen, and they refuse to refund the charge.

Am I missing something, or is there any way that can be correct?!

IronGiant

The transaction was concluded successfully, so you were charged for using the service. It's not Ebay's fault the item was lost, that's the way they see it. In some ways you're lucky they didn't charge you extra fees for investigating and then processing the refund :devil::rolleyes:

I'm sympathetic, not having a dig :)

daveb975

The transaction was concluded successfully, so you were charged for using the service. It's not Ebay's fault the item was lost, that's the way they see it. In some ways you're lucky they didn't charge you extra fees for investigating and then processing the refund :devil::rolleyes:

I'm sympathetic, not having a dig :)
The thing is, I had another one a month or so ago where an item I sold turned out to be faulty. Even though it was working fine when I sent it, it was cheaper for me to just refund it rather than get it back. I got the fees back then!

This time, they are saying that eBay refunded the buyer and that is why they are keeping the Final Value Fee. That's not true, of course, it came out of my PayPal balance!

You're right, though, they get you all ways it seems.

Timmy C

It's not at all fair but as I understand it, if you had voluntarily refunded you would have had the FVF credited but if you lose a dispute they keep your money.

Here you go, it mentions it here...

Timmy C

Thanks Timmy and John. Another eBay lesson learnt!
Yeah it's best not to rely common sense when selling on ebay as you can easily end up out of pocket. The rules are heavily stacked in the buyers favour for the most part which in an ideal world would be fine but it makes it a great place for scammers and inconsiderate/selfish buyers. If I sell on ebay I always post tracked or recorded delivery now. Too much of a gamble not to.

IronGiant

:D I sold a perfectly working mission centre speaker on here. It somehow turned up with a nasty clicking noise. They wanted to send it back. Sure, send me a photo of the serial number of the unit you are sending and I'll check it against my records. Never heard from them again.

(they should have called my bluff...)