1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eBay dilema...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by keiths, Aug 18, 2005.

1. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

What are your collective thoughts on this - I recently sold a Sigma camera lens on ebay. The lens was listed in:

Photography > FILM camera lenses > for 35MM SLR > to fit Canon > Autofocus Canon lenses

The buyer payed by PayPal and I despatched the lens immediately. I give buyer glowing feedback and he reciprocates in equally favourable terms. A day or two later he emails me to say that the lens doesn't work on his Canon Digital SLR.

I reply that I had fully tested the lens before listing (which I did by exposing a film at all apertures on my EOS100 35mm SLR). A quick google later and I discover that most Sigma lenses more than a couple of years old don't work on Canon Digital SLRs.

Now he expects a full refund. I have some sympathy for him, however I listed the lens as a FILM camera lens and as such it is entirely functional and as described (which I believe he accepts). It would have been easy enough for him to check on google before he bid to check this lens would work on his digital camera.

In your opinion, do (a) I refund him fully, (b) tell him to sod off or (c) try and come to a compromise (eg ask him resell over ebay and I'll refund half of any loss he makes?)

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally I think you have fulfilled any obligations you had. The item was exactly as you decribed it. The fact that he didn't research it properly is his fault - or at least if I was him, I wouldn't try and blame you for my lack of research...

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,225
    to be honest "buyer beware" as in any auction , why should you lose out, he made the mistake, you listed it correctly. its his fault

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It is "as described" so I wouldnt really be overly concerned about it and I doubt ebay or paypal would take any complaint from him seriously unless he had asked you if it was digital compatable or had stated it would work with all canon slr cameras rather than stating 35mm/film

5. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't specifically state in the description that its was 35mm/film - I just listed it in a film/35mm category. I stated that it was for "Canon EOS autofocus SLR cameras". Didn't mention digital at all (though wasn't aware of any compatibility issues when I listed it).

6. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell him he should have done his research (and asked you any questions) BEFOREHAND. Not your responsibility anymore. He can relist it himself and sell on if he wants, no problem.

7. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Yep,I would agree with everything said above.We are rapidly becoming a nanny state were many people expect to be spoon fed.It's his own fault he bought an incompatible lens.If you didn't mislead him then it's no longer your responsibility in any way.
    Regards
    Ian

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,245
    Agree with the above aswell, plus as he has already left you positive feedback there is no chance now of him messing up your feedback if you don't do as he says.

9. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Agree with all of the above - it's his tough luck.

10. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone.

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    If you've clearly advertised it in the 35mm, rather than a digital, category I'd second all of the above. If I buy something from a shop that's the wrong part (because I was too stupid to check properly beforehand) that's my tough luck. It's entirely at the discretion of the shop to refund any of my my money. In many cases places like B&Q will only do a swap for items of equal value.

I wouldn't worry about it.

But I have to say that it's nice to see someone with a conscience who is actually considering giving a person their money back - or in your case offering to take a loss on the sale :eek:

12. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    assuming you stated the exact lens make and model, then clearly it was upto him to check its sutablity for his purpose. It works, it is as described......no argument.

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    offer to buy it back at 2/3 price you sold it... :)

14. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Offer to take it back minus a 20% "restocking fee" - return P&P at his own expense & risk.

Then sell it again for full whack :thumbsup:

15. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I'd agree it's not your problem - refer your purchaser to this thread to support your position :). All he has to do is relist it and he should get most of his money back.

I once bought what I thought was a laserdisc on e-bay but turned out to be a CED disc (I'd never even heard of them). The seller hadn't mis-described it but had been deliberately economical with the truth, even reducing the postage charge to below cost when I queried the fact that he was charging more than other laserdisc sellers.

Anyway I dammed with faint praise in my (positive feedback), relisted the item with full description hoping to recover some of my £9 loss. Result - sold to the highest bidder for £38 :thumbsup:.

16. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I would let him return it if he pays all your fees plus say 20% handling fee.