Ebay deceivers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Westindieman, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I was searching ebay on Wednesday night for an office chair as the old one I had broke. I came accros this graded refurbished item
    Graded 95% Berlin Black Leather Faced Computer Executive Task Office Chair BOXED | eBay
    and thought about purchasing but then decided to check out the cost of them brand new. I then saw that Viking direct sell them new with free delivery for 4pence more than this 'refurbished' item.
    I purchased from Viking then messaged the seller with a link to Viking's item item then got this response, 'It is actually not that much cheaper, just a 4p difference.
    Kindest regards.'
    I replied
    'I mentioned it as I thought it may be an error. Me, I have purchased a new from viewing yours which arrived yesterday and am happy I did that.
    If this isnt an error then as you arent doing anything legally wrong (by hoping no-one see's the deception) some old fool who doesnt research will buy yours.'
    Got this response back
    'How much I sell my items for has NOTHING to do with you.
    I couldn't care less what you think or have to say about this, it is NONE of your business.
    In future keep your comments to yourself and use your time more constructively, I have NO need for your input into my business.
    If you really do have to say something, may I suggest get your facts accurate or else you could end up looking like a fool.
    I have blocked you from my ebay shop and recorded your user ID and postcode, any attempt to purchase from me, with the intention of damaging our reputation, under a different name will be reported to ebay immediately.
    Please do not contact me again, your messages and or business are not welcome here.
    Kindest regards'
    I know some codgers on here will say its nothing to do with me really but I thinks its deceptive, also funny how I have driven the seller to this.

2. KCooperman

KCooperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I think that their response is a bit OTT, but but they do have a point, they can charge whatever they like. Its up to you the customer to decide if you want to pay their price, or buy elsewhere as you have done.

Nowdays most things on ebay can be found cheaper elsewhere. At least you had the initiative to do a bit of research and find a cheaper price.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,736
    I guess it really boils down to what overheads he has and what profit he is making. It wouldn't surprise me if he isn't actually making much profit on these, so although it's not bargain is it really dishonest? If he was passing them off as brand new, or suggesting a spurious RRP then that would be deception. Nowhere does it suggest that you are saving money by buying it rather than another one.

4. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    It's completely legal, but his/her service sure leaves a lot to be desired, I personally wouldn't be trading with someone like that (bargain or not) with that horrible attitude.

5. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Oh I agree they can charge what they like and do what they like and its the response that has more surprised me. I do believe a bit of deception is involved here as they buyer will not be aware it is virtually the same price as brand new despite it being marked as 'graded' and 'refurbished'.

6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    If he has to sell at that price to make a profit, he can do nothing about a major retailer selling for close to his price, except to hope that the price goes up or people don't notice.

You weren't giving him good news (if he didn't know) and telling him you bought elsewhere anyway. Guess he might have been a little sore!

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,736
    Compared with other Ebay sellers they are going for £48.95 new and £39.95 Ex-display, so is his price really that unreasonable in a "comparable" market?

Edit: it's £64.95 on Amazon if you want a real rant :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  8. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I thought it was a Viking product so am surprised to see it elsewhere. I have worded it wrongly in saying 'deception' though I realise.
    I wonder what the seller believes Ebay can do to me if i'm reported though, I shudder and wont sleep tonight as I have responded that I can comment all I like.

9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,736
    I wonder if he suspects you are a competitor, rather than a well meaning potential customer?
    Edit:

It's made by Niceday, I've just found someone else selling them,

wait for it:

RRP:£269.99
    Price:£70.99
    You Save:£199.00 (74%)

:eek:

10. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Wow! My chair is worth £269.99 to some people. Is there anyway I cant wipe out the thread so I can sell it on here for a bargain £100?
    Anyway, maybe I should apologise to seller for my insinuation.

11. simplesimo

simplesimo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've really grown to dislike ebay!

Theres people on there still selling xbox ones for £500+ for the console alone!!!

12. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    They might advertise them but...........

13. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    I couldn't find the disagree button so used the one that looks like a tool.

No I didn't find your post helpful.

14. chrisgal

chrisgal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The sellers response may, to some, have been OTT but I think you're thread title is equally OTT. 'Ebay deceivers'….there's nothing deceptive about it!!

As far as I can see he's priced an item, even told you it's not new, and it's up to you whether you buy it or not. For whatever reason you've went back to him and he's told you to sling your hook…..I probably would have done the same given the situation.

15. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Lol why did you think I was trying to be helpful? I just posted some happenings from my point of view which doesnt have to be correct its just the way I see things, some will agree some wont and thats the way of all things in life.

16. clydebest

clydebest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,531
    I bought a 2TB sky box with the built in wi-fi -- they received my payment from PayPal ... heard nothing , so I flagged it up to P.P. and E Bay .... to cut a boring story short .... they had no box for sale, basically used me as a pay day loan company without the interest payments... had to wait 14 days to get money back.

17. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,367
    It's the last place I use to find cheaper prices on well known products.
    One seller a while back was selling some Yard bars for mountain bikes that were around £18.00 more expensive than buying them directly from the site that made them to start with. The seller ignore my private message asking why they were this price and last year on checking was still selling at a higher price than the real site.