eBay app does not ask for my PayPal login

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by x1nick, Aug 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Haven't had much time to Google this, but I just spent over £1000 on eBay without having to enter a single password on the app!

This worrys me, if someone managed to get hold of my phone when it's unlocked they could run up some hefty bills!

As a quick fix I have disabled keep me signed in on the app, but this is very inconvenient as I bid on a lot of things and having to sign in every time is a massive waste of time.
    Is there anyway to make payments password protected? Kind of like how the App Store works!!!

2. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,785
    Erm, just pin lock your phone and set the pin to kick in after a short amount of time - 1min or so.

3. ianbuckley

ianbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't know whether it is related but I have just completed a survey about eBay and one of the questions was "What are your feelings about eBay automatically opening your PayPal account when you login to eBay." It appears that they will be offering this or making it compulsory in the near future.

I for one would want access to my PayPal account kept separate.

4. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    To me it just seems crazy you can spend money without entering a password.

I have nothing wrong with it linking the two accounts, but when it comes to paying you should have to enter a password. I can't think of any other service where you don't have to enter a password.

5. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,785
    Regardless of whether PayPal opens automatically or not, you have spent the money once you have won the auction. You can't back out of it, so you pay it whether PayPal auto sends the money, or you enter a password.

6. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Well then you should be asked to confirm your password when you bid. As a developer myself, this is a complete oversight from there part.

What if you accidentally leave eBay logged in, let your 5 year old kid play on some games and they go onto the eBay app and do a buy it now on a car and pay for it with PayPal. Completely possible and wouldn't be surprised if it has happened!!

Atleast with something like the app store you have to enter your password BEFORE you commit to anything.

7. stulou

stulou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have no wish to sound rude but I, also, use eBay a lot on my iOS devices and will often make bids with seconds remaining to lessen the chances of getting outbid. This would leave no time to have to confirm a password.

Either log out of eBay when you're finished or don't give your iPhone to a five year old to play with if you have concerns

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Heh forums are here to discuss these things.

Logging out of your account isn't the most practical approach to security of your money though is it really.

While I am very protective over who uses my iPhone, it still leaves the fact that iOS devices are not the most secure things in the world. I mean the recent iOS 7 hack allowing you to call any number is outrageous. Then there is the finger print scanner which was hacked within days.

9. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,785
    How is it any different to any site storing your credit card details for future purchases. Amazon perhaps...

The way the finger print scanner was hacked was a joke. A pin code is hardly a difficult one to crack. End of the day, there is nothing that is going to keep a phone secure from someone if they really want to get into it.

10. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    At least with Amazon or any other website I can use my 16+ character password to keep that slightly more secure than a phone.

Having a phone which you take out and about to have unlimited access to spending your money with next to no protection is ridiculous, this is the point im trying to make.

It seems that convenience is overtaking the priority of security.

11. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,785
    But that is you opting to not have the browser save the password, just like you can opt not to stay logged in on the ebay app.

12. paulkie

paulkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you login to the paypal.com desktop site, look under my account - profile - my account settings, you will find "Mobile checkout settings". Once automatic login is not turned on for your mobile devices, you will have to enter your paypal password when making payments through the ebay app. Just remember to uncheck the keep me logged in tick box.

13. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Thank you so much :D perfect