1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay advice please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Oddbodd, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I have just bought an ipod photo from a private seller on ebay as a present for my wife. I won the auction over a week ago but I've had to wait for my cheque (he didn't take paypal) to clear for it to be delivered today. It was described as "new" and only "3 days old", trouble is it looks 3 months old :(
    I know these things scratch notoriously easily and it has lots of small scratches on the rear but the screen is really bad and is no way in "new" condition. As far as I'm concerned the guy is either blind or more worryingly he has knowingly sold it in this condition :mad:
    I have contacted him and he is adamant that it was "new" when it left him yesterday, he said it must have been damaged in transit. It was not the best bit of packaging I have seen but it was adequate. I have not informed ebay yet as I was hoping I could sort it out direct with him but it ain't looking good by his response :thumbsdow
    Have any of you guys been through something like this before or know someone who has? Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

2. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say have one more go at getting him to sort it out and if he refuses take it up with eBay. Don't forget to give him negative feedback (though he'll almost certainly give you a neg. back if he hasn't already left you his feedback).

3. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A mate of mine bought an Alesis ADAT recorder from someomne in Germany and when he received it the advertised remote wasn't included and it took nearly 6 weeks to deliver. He paid £180 for it and got £120 refunded by Ebay. So yes, pursue it with them if you have to.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Tough one.

Your word against his.

If EBay will pay you, then fair enough, but the seller?

Doubtful.

5. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    I've been through this, it was a nightmare.
    Sheepskin flying jacket (seller mike maddison, lotgracetrading) described it as fabulous condition and fitting up to and inc. 48". It arrived tatty,leather finnish crumbled away,covered in paint stains and too tight to fit (I am 42")
    My payment was through paypal and in this case ebays paypal side investigates.
    they found in my favour and returned my money and original postage, but required my returning the product by registered post with a verification number. This cost me £20 which was not reimbursable.
    The seller then left negative feedback saying complete bullsh*t - I had not paid for goods and would not return them etc. I tried to rebut this on his feedback and refered the reader to the dispute panel. This was hard to do due to the limited amount of space allowed.
    I also attempted to have his false feedback removed and could not see an issue here as ebay/paypal had been involved in every step of the dispute. They removed the feedback I had left and let his stand. Eventually after days of detailed emails they removed his false feedback but I was unable to have mine to go back on his. He still appears to have a perfect record.
    They will not investigate until 10 days have passed and expect you to have tried to come to an agreement with the seller first. Also they frown upon what they see as the threat of leaving negative feedback.
    In my case I had contacted the seller three times by email explaining (very politely) my concerns. In each case he responded with abusive replies.
    I am convinced this helped my case.

I benefitted, in this case, by using paypal as they just took the money from his paypal account to reimburse me. (he swore I would never get a penny from him) It may be more difficult for you paying by cheque unless he has a paypal account.

If you feel strongly I would definitely continue to persue the matter even though it's a nightmare. Don't let the b*gg*rs get away with it.

Good luck

6. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if he was a private seller you really shouldnt have purchased an item like an ipod. very dodgy.

i only buy goods if the seller has a big list of positive feedback, its your only guarantee that the goods are cosha.

your only option would be ebay (negative feedback is no bargaining as he is a private seller) so you have to hope you were covered under ebays buyer protection. you can ring them up, i find its better speaking to someone in person.

what you can do is demand a full refund. or failing that id just do a chargeback on the cheque (easily done at a bank just explain it was an ebay sale and uve send the goods back, you wouldnt beleive how much of this is going on now, your bank will defianetly be in your favour) so just send the ipod back to his addresse.

the only thing that might go against you is if the buyer offered insurance and you didnt take it. then he could say that the shipping was partly your responsibility and you should take some of the cost. hopefully he didnt offer any insurance and he will just have to lump it.

has he given you feedback already?? if so id just chargeback the cheque and keep the ipod and totally f*k him off.

its a cruel world and sometimes you have to step up!

7. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thank you for the advice and thoughts guys. It looks like this geezer is going to shaft me, I e-mailed him again on Sunday asking if we could sort it out like adults and preserve our positive feedback. I offered to return the ipod at my cost after he returned my money of course, I then suggested he could re-auction the ipod but describe it this time as used! There has been no reply so he's either away or he's not interested :mad:
    I'm thinking about getting ebay involved now but I'm interested in your suggestion tim k, how do you go about doing a chargeback? I have never heard of it before and it sounds to good to be true.
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

8. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry mate, havent revisted this post for a while. a chargeback is a common daily occurance for all banks. your bank's customer service will have a seperate department that deals with chargebacks, its generally if say you have a direct debit and it was taken un-lawfully, or was the wrong amount and you can prove it. the bank always decides in your favour. i dont know why but if is fool proof. just ring up the bank and explain the situation completely. well i'd actually say taht you sent the ipod back and the guy didnt refund you, that would work best.

good luck, any more help just pm me mate.

9. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You cant do a chargeback on a cheque. A charge back is for debit and credit cards and will only succeed in certain circumstances. The banks dont just give back money willy nilly and I dont think they would want to get involved in an ebay dispute. The only way to get a cheque refunded from the bank is if you report it stolen, or you cancel it before it clears.

10. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thank you for the suggestions but I thought it was to good to be true.
    I have got ebay involved now (did not want to), so as General Skanky said it's going to be my word against his. Fingers crossed :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

11. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Hi oddbodd best of luck with this dispute, can you please keep us updated of the situation,

12. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    Same here

13. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    No problem chaps, I have opened an "item not as described" dispute with ebay. They (ebay) encourage you to sort it out between yourselves and have said they won't get directly involved, they have however said that 30 days after the purchase I can escalate the claim and possibly use their payment protection programme to hopefully get some of my money back.
    I am not going to waste my time communicating with this scumbag anymore, he's changed his story all the way through this and I hope the guys at ebay will see through him. The most obvious mistake/lie he's made is his insistence that he has "not touched" the ipod! I spoke to him straight after I won the auction and asked him why he was selling a "3 day old" ipod. He said he had downloaded his music onto it then connected it to his car stereo via a dedicated interface he had bought. It did not have the features he had been told by the interface supplier so he returned that and bought himself a boot mounted hard drive that did/displayed the things he wanted. So can anyone here tell me how you can do all that and "not touch it" please, he must be some sort of magician eh? Here is a link to the advert/auction have a look for yourself. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5794849620&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Surely the catalogue of spelling errors in the advert must have alerted you to the fact this person is a bit dodgy???

15. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    :D I here what you are saying but he did have good feedback :(

16. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Oddbodd, if you used paypal. i think they wont help if 45 days has elasped since the end of auction. so if you used them best to notify them now

17. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It was a personal cheque mate, that's the problem :(
    I think in future I won't deal with anyone unless they accept paypal as I think you get more help/support from them.
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

18. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cant see much wrong with this seller. I am an experienced ebayer and would have bought from this seller. You are a bit unlucky that he has decided to deceive you in this case but I dont see how you could have known this. Spelling mistakes dont make anyone dishonest. Goodluck in your claim.

19. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the kind words Bri, I checked as much as I could but still got my fingers burned. Once this fiasco is over I intend to auction the ipod and get some of my money back. I will describe it honestly though!
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    :eek:

If you think paypal are any help take a look here:

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

I'd take my chances with a personal cheque rather than paypal mate. :suicide:

21. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  22. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi all, just to update you, at long last!
    I had my paypal account credited to the tune of £105.00 today from Ebay :thumbsup:
    To say I'm happy is an understatment, I had all but given up on getting any where with this claim but it just shows you, patience is a virtue ;)
    Hats off to Ebay, it may have taken a while but I've got most of my money back so I'm not complaining.
    My faith in humanity restored they have :D

23. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    wow thats taken ages! but well done mate, glad you got your monkey back!

24. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Did the money suddenly just reappear in your bank account?

25. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yes, but I did send them an e-mail a few weeks ago asking for a progress report.
    They did say months ago that if the claim was approved they would automatically credit my account.
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

26. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    I have been contacted by mike maddison, lotgracetrading refuting your version of the events as described above. Please provide proof that the above events happened. If you can't do so, I will remove your post.
    Thanks

27. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    Full transaction and dispute panel details sent by PM.

28. Unique Geeza

Unique Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hi guys, i have also been :censored: over due to a chinease bloke flogging a tomtom 700 from ( dont laugh ) china.....

the item was up for £58- but with post and packaging brough up to £113.
    i paid as a bank transfer because this guy also didnt use pay pal and to hurry up the whole process i paid an extra £21 so the funds landed in his account within 3 days... today is 27-06-2006 and i bought the item on the 02-06-2006, i have e-mailed the person i bought this off who incidently was selling about 50 of these but he hasnt replied whats so ever so i have also gone down the road of letting ebay know what has happened and fingers crossed they will be able to sort my problem out to... i dont know if i will ever get my money back but after only buying a few bits from ebay its sort of put me off all together...

his name is: Tongbao Liang
    ebay name was: nimingren_cn1

where would i get the ebay phone number from ?

29. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259

To be honest mate if you didn't use paypal you dont have much hope. whoever it is will have gone to the hills by now and will never be found, that is of course if there was a real person in the first place. Ebay won't refund you for a bank transfer.

30. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,133
    As requested by Stuart Wright the forum administrator, I am posting the aforementioned details on this thread:-

Title: PayPal Dispute Report for stephen nessfield

Download_Date: Downloaded on 27 Jun. 2006

Last_Updated: This data does not reflect changes to existing disputes or new disputes that occurred after Tuesday, 27 June 2006 14:45:50 BST

Filters Applied: This report was filtered as follows:1. Dispute Type=All Cases;2. Case Filing Date=Friday, 28 May 2004 00:00:00 BST to Tuesday, 27 June 2006 23:59:59 BST; 3. Case Status=All Cases

Version 0

Type Counterparty Transaction ID Date Amount Reason Filed on Status Case ID Email
    Claim Lotgrace Trading 1BE48968VH182611S 23 May 2005 -83.50 GBP Special 2 Jun. 2005 Case Closed PP-085-997-646 mikemaddison@hotmail.com

Type Counterparty Transaction ID Date Amount Reason Filed On Status Details Action
    Claim Lotgrace Trading 1BE48968VH182611S 23 May 2005 -£83.50 GBP Not as described 2 Jun. 2005 Case Closed PP-085-997-646