Ebay advice please

Orson

Hi all, as title, I'm after a bit of advice.

I won an item (computer network router) on Ebay, but for some reason (I must have had some intuition) I contacted the seller before paying asking him to confirm the exact model number, even though it was listed as the one I wanted.
Anyway, it turns out that he had picked the wrong model number & description, and it wasn't the one I wanted.

The buyer has emailed me to ask if I still want it, which I've told him I don't, and I've not heard anything else. He has now re-listed the item (albeit with the same incorrect description & model number :rolleyes:)

The item is still listed in my account as requiring payment, and I've tried the ebay resolution/help, but it doesn't cover my circumstances, and won't let me proceed with the 'resolution centre' as I haven't actually paid.

So, what do I do now?

Do I just leave it sat in my account needing payment?
Will it eventually just go away?
Am I at risk of getting negative feedback?
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for looking :smashin:

Hitby

There should be an option to cancel the transaction in the More Actions dropdown

Orson

There should be an option to cancel the transaction in the More Actions dropdown

Nope, nothing there. Well, the usual (request total, leave feedback etc), but no cancel option. There is the 'resolve a problem' option, but that takes me to the Resolution Centre, which won't let me continue as I haven't actually paid.

dazza74

Novice Member
If the seller doesn't cancel the transaction he'll have to pay the final value fee imo. He'll soon get the ball rolling.

dazza74

Novice Member
Nope, nothing there. Well, the usual (request total, leave feedback etc), but no cancel option. There is the 'resolve a problem' option, but that takes me to the Resolution Centre, which won't let me continue as I haven't actually paid.

I'm pretty sure the Seller has to start the ball rolling and cancel the transaction and then the buyer in turn has to agree to the cancellation. The buyer basically enters into a contract to buy the item, it wouldn't make sense for Ebay to allow buyers to cancel transactions if and when they felt like it. Don't worry about it mate imo.

Orson

This is on Ebay's Help pages...

If you won the item but want to cancel the transaction, you'll have to contact the seller to explain the situation. You'll must get their agreement to a mutual withdrawal from sale.

Can I retract or cancel my bid?

Unfortunately, I've tried that route, and it just takes me back to the resolution centre eventually.

dazza74 said:
If the seller doesn't cancel the transaction he'll have to pay the final value fee imo. He'll soon get the ball rolling.
I'm pretty sure the Seller has to start the ball rolling and cancel the transaction and then the buyer in turn has to agree to the cancellation. The buyer basically enters into a contract to buy the item, it wouldn't make sense for Ebay to allow buyers to cancel transactions if and when they felt like it. Don't worry about it mate imo.

I thought the same regarding the fees, but it's been a week, and he hasn't done anything yet.
I've contacted him & asked him to cancel it, but he doesn't seem to have done anything, other than re-list the item, which I'm surprised Ebay's mechanism allows him to do without cancelling the original sale :confused:

Unless they're just making it easier for scammers of course :devil:, saving them having to type in the same item time after time!

If I'm okay to just let it sit there, does anyone know when/if it will just disappear? I'm really just after avoiding a non-payment/negative.

The daft thing is, the seller is just as likely to have the problem of the next buyer not wanting it either, but probably worse, as it'll likely have been paid & delivered.

accyuklad

Banned
i won something once and then relised i didnt want it as it was wrong thing i wanted and he said it was fine but he never closed the transation so i wasnt bothered

but its him who as to cancel the transaction

Orson

i won something once and then relised i didnt want it as it was wrong thing i wanted and he said it was fine but he never closed the transation so i wasnt bothered

but its him who as to cancel the transaction

Did it just disappear from your 'need to pay for' list after a certain amount of time?

bbK

You have to delete it, it wont disappear. If he does eventually cancel the transaction he can still leave negative feedback so I wouldn't worry to much about getting him to cancel the transaction, he will have to do that and he is the only one who gains anything from cancelling it.

cobster666

Banned
Didn't think negative feedback could be left for buyers anymore?

But you'll still get a strike if he wants to claim it as un-payed.

You need to get him to cancel the transaction at his end in which he will get the seller fees back and all you need to do is agree to cancel.

Penski

Theres this invention called the 'telephone', and if you use it to call ebay, they will cancel the transaction in 2 minutes flat :)

You cannot cancel the transaction at this stage (too much time has passed). An unpaid item case will be opened against you, and if payment still isn't received by the seller then you will get a strike on your account.

Ebay have this procedure in place because the seller has paid fees (listing and final value fee), and for the seller to get those back, ebay needs to know that they aren't being taken for a ride.

Sartios

Banned
In the resolution center there is an options to "cancel the transaction" and it will send a message to the seller asking them to confirm, when they do it will be cancelled.

On the item you won in the My Ebay section, on the options on the right hand side of the item, click the drop down box, and click "resolve a problem" then on the next page click "cancel transaction"

Orson

Theres this invention called the 'telephone', and if you use it to call ebay, they will cancel the transaction in 2 minutes flat :)

There may be such an invention, however, without a number to call, it's not much use... a bit like... :p

Anyway, there's no number I can find to contact Ebay via phone. If you have one, feel free to share.

In the resolution center there is an options to "cancel the transaction" and it will send a message to the seller asking them to confirm, when they do it will be cancelled.

On the item you won in the My Ebay section, on the options on the right hand side of the item, click the drop down box, and click "resolve a problem" then on the next page click "cancel transaction"

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be this option. I can "resolve a problem" but then after selecting "I want to cancel my purchase", I get a page of spiel about getting an unpaid item strike if I don't pay.

If I go to the Resolution Centre & try to open a dispute, it won't let me because it won't proceed past the screen where I have to enter the date paid. And I'm certainly not paying just to open a dispute!

I guess all I can do is sit tight, and just wait for the 45 or 60 day period to expire. If the guy tries to raise an unpaid item issue, I'm not worries because the item was not as described, and I was just lucky enough to double check before I paid, which I hope the next person does as the item has been re-listed with the same (incorrect) model number & description.

I just don't like to see the 'You must pay for an item' flag every time I log in to Ebay, it's untidy and conflicts with my OCD :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom