Eating disorder in teen

Discussion in 'Parents Forum' started by _Dragon_, Apr 23, 2016.

1. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    My teen has a eating disorder bad enough where the doctor is worried as she has lost weight and if she doesn't starting eating properly then her body is going to shut down,Me and my partner are both worn down trying to get her to eat,Anyone parent been in the same situation?

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,933
    No personal experience, but if the doctor has ruled out a physiological reason then it does that the reason is psychological.hi
    I suggest you ask the doctor to arrange the appropriate form of counseling for your daughter.
    Best of luck to you all, it must be a horrible situation.

3. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi

Yes our doctor has referred us to another doctor she has done some tests so just waiting on them,Also we are waiting for a appointment with the mental health team counseling team for eating disorders.

It is horrible but funny thing is is made us all feel closer together.

Thanks.

4. JimmyMac

JimmyMac
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,203

Which is a massive step, sounds clichéd but admitting there is a problem or at least agreeing to go for treatment is the greatest step very often. At least now it's out in the open and can be tackled

Hopefully through discussion with another doctor it can be identified as to which disorder category it falls into and the appropriate treatment begins. Her talking to someone who is not a part of the family will pay dividends more than likely.

I can only imagine the worry for you but take heart that something is now being done, keep us updated on the progress and hope all goes well :)

5. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
    I used to have an eating disorder, would go days without eating and was a real struggle to get over it, was all tied in with my depression and general self-loathing/body image issues and thankfully managed to kick it into touch when I turned my mind around and managed to get over my depression.

Horrible to witness this from the outside, I unfortunately didn't seek any help so can't advise on good treatments or support groups, for me personally I'd slipped into the darkest depression and controlling my eating was just a little something in my life I felt I could take full control of. Stupid looking back on it but when you're in the trench it's hard to get a proper perspective on things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,590
    Thank you, that may give them some insight on how to help.

7. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thank you Rorifett for sharing your experience, no matter how we feel i always feel for the person who is going through it as they are struggling with something.As for my daughter well we dont know yet whats going on but it has been suggested that we should move back to my home town where my daughter grew up as thats where her school is and mates,Trouble is we have only one income at the moment as the mrs left her job to be the one looking after my daughter while she is going through this,So finding a house to rent is hard because all landlords want both people to have incomes,We are stuck in a hole if we get back to my home town then the mrs will be able to find another job while still being able to take my daughter to the hospital to get weighed etc..

8. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
    Hard to know what is eating away at her and spurring her on to these things, in a lot of ways we were much better off growing up as there wasn't so much exposure to people, media and social broadcasting, I don't envy anyone struggling at the moment with so many ways for bad influences to infiltrate. When I was struggling I could just close the door but you're not so cut off anymore

9. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
    Sorry this just came to me -the whole thing is weighing on my mind to be honest, hope you guys get to the bottom of it all, heart goes out to each and every one of you... Anyways this came to me and might not be applicable but is your daughter self-harming as well have you noticed? Self-harm is rife at the moment and is easy to miss, the psychology of some is to feel pain is better than to not feel. I didn't Self-harm but have known a few who have and my partner works in many schools and sees lots of (mainly) girls with the scars or cover-ups. Not wanting to panic you or speak out of turn, just concerned for you all. The biggest thing is you guys continuing to have a good relationship, once communication is broken down it makes a lonely place for your daughter, will be very trying at times but try to always be supportive of her . Take care

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi

Great to hear from you knowing its not forgotten helps.

No she is not self harming she has told us about some people she knows who has done this in the past and asked us why some people do this,We can confidently say she is not self harming. Any help like this is always welcome in case we have missed anything.

Its dam hard to keep her eating knowing its making her feel sick but we just have to tell ourselves its all good no matter if she feels we are evil to her.

Next week we are seeing someone we can talk to about what might be going on it starts off with all of us then a one on one talk incase my daughter doesn't want us to know anything.

Cheers

11. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
    How did the meeting go dragon? Has your daughter started one to ones?

12. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi

She is putting weight on now that we are in charge of her food intake,She is still underweight but at least she is not in hospital being forced by strangers.

She hasn't started one to ones yet in two weeks we are seeing the mental health again so we are going to say we think she needs to be talked to without us,The sessions she has had with us have been ok but i feel we are at the stage where we are just talking about the same things.

13. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
  14. grouthex

grouthex
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blame the media for teen eating disorders?
    I'm not going to lie, I have my share of weight issues & body image problems just like every other girl. We could make the media our scape-goat. (Because everybody knows the media is responsible for every school shooting, violent act, and eating disorder ever.) But the media only puts out what they know we'll consume. (And, heck we're American's - we know how to consume.) Sex sells. So does sex appeal. Because we"consume" it.
    Consumers try to live to the model's standard. But the model's live to the consumer's standards. Thin sells. Full lips. Small noses. Large eyes. And even bigger breasts. "Perfect" doesn't exist naturally. That's why even models and movie stars are airbrushed within an inch of their lives in magazines. That's why plastic surgery is so popular. "Perfect" sells. It also paints an unrealistic picture of the human body. So who do we have to blame? We buy the stuff.

15. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
    Consumerism affects us all, hell even the way they market movies through poster colours and title sleeves and the music that we listen to is so formulaic to tap into the most basic of our human natures that have been studied and refined.

You look at the so-called beautiful people in the media and there is a real lack of beauty, but because you're told constantly that these people are beautiful your subconscious tells you when your conscious mind just absently drifts through the day.

Body issues are not limited to girls by the way, and a much higher awareness of body dysmorphia issues in men is welcome, rarely do 'average' men get roles in mainstream advertising for me, the extremes are 'catered' for, fat and 'lazy' or cut and muscle-bound.

Got to say, my issues stemmed from bullying and self-loathing, wasn't so much a media-led issue as a peer-led issue but now, past all my issues... well, past my depression - think everyone here would attest I still have issues lol, I still look at my body and go 'this bit isn't right' or 'this needs to change' because there is an ill-at-ease in my own skin thing that is reinforced subconsciously.

16. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I think because of the media and air brushing etc.. My daughters school has always told them to be happy with just yourself because whenever you see pictures in mags its not what the person really looks like.

17. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
    Can be hard to fully believe that when you don't see the bang average days often enough I suppose. I worry for my kids

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,653
    I think our new friend is a spammer :) But as there's no spam yet, i'll just keep an eye on it.

19. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Bit of a update,My daughter has had one to one sessions,And it seems my nutty neighbour is on her mind alot, it all comes down to when i parked in his space which i had posted on here some time ago since then he has been looking through my gate and fence everytime he walks past. I had told the police but of course he denies doing it,So the police told me i need to put a camera up to catch him doing it,Which i cant do my landlord wont allow it,He has been told by the police to stop this but he still carrys on. The police gave him a firm talking to saying if you are doing this then this is classed as stalking and can be sent to prison.

Ive even put my non working video camera out near my door so my neighbour can see it so he will not look through our gate,But this still doesn't stop him,I just dont have time at the moment to use my video camera to record him,As looking after my daughters health takes up our time.

Makes me Mad and upset that this is part of why she has gone off her food.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  20. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    What about a cheap dash cam, no wires and records to internal memory, sure you can get one for £10 that will give you the footage you require, Velcro to window or door frame?

21. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Nice didn't even think about a dash cam Thanks.

22. drunkenjoiner

drunkenjoiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sorry to resurrect this but my daughter has been an inpatient for the last 10 months and battling anorexia for approximately two years.
    While I am no expert, (no one is I've found) I have a great deal of insight.
    If the eating disorder is still a worry please feel free to ask anything, by PM if you wish.
    Kind regards
    DJ

23. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
  24. _Dragon_

_Dragon_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    HI

Thanks for asking, She is doing much better still having sessions but eating much better, we have got a family group session in a couple of weeks to discuss her progress. At least she is wanting to eat now.

25. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237