Eathquake 10b Amplifier Choice?

AudiophileUk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking one of these up. Without going for earthquakes own, quite expensive amp was wondering what other options are out their...

Firstly looked at plate amps... bit of a pain mounting them however.

How about something like the Behringer A500 ref amp? 500w bridged mono at 8ohms... would be more than enough I'd think?

Don't forget to add a LP filter. I have my Buttkicker set around 45hz. I find any higher and it becomes to distracting. They sell in line ones on flebay..

The A500 is very good value for money. The 10B is 8 ohms and the amp spec in bridged mode is also 8 ohms. Note that when you bridge an amplifier you are really working it to the max so I would never run into anything less than 8 ohms. It will quickly over heat!
BK also make amplifiers so check them out as well.

As per previous poster, a low pass filter is essential otherwise voices and other annoying vibrations will come through the seat.

Yes 8 ohms is a nice low resistance so should be perfect. As for LP filter I would run the a500 either from the sub phono output on my main HT Amp and use in built EQ.... or better yet run it from my SVS phono out which has a LPF built in!

Have a quick look to see if I can find a used earthquake on the forums, if not I'll order one tomorrow! Thanks guys

I am Running my Quake from an old AV amp, I was crossing over @ 80 khz from my built in settings on the amp, I found that it was a bit overpowering, I just added a 50khz low pass filter and now I am getting amazing results, the Quake now under pins my sub perfectly when it goes to the real low end.

I'm running the Quake 600 power amp on mine, crossover at 40hz with EQ applied as well. A rather expensive power amp imho for what it does. Stick to any old power amp with a wee bit of a grunt and add an in-line filter :)

Right! I now have a more interesting question! With the mindset of saving money I hunted around in the attic and found my old REL Q200E Sub. I took off the plate amp to test it works. (specs below).

Question is, it has a roll off filter from 25 - 100 Hz, obv matched to the rel driver it powered. Does this mean it only supplies frequency down to 25 Hz? If so this would seem a little high for the earthquake.

Note; their is a mode dial, you can set it to bypass this dial. However I wonder if that just sets the cross over to 25 - 100Hz as I plugged in a full range speaker and was only getting low frequency on any setting.

Some REL spec:

Roll off control. Adjust to set the upper roll off frequency of the Sub Bass System.
MODE SWITCH. Used to set phase* and to bypass crossover for Low Level input**.
Position 1 / Line: 0 degrees phase, crossover engaged low level input
Position 2 / LFE: 0 degrees phase, crossover bypassed for low level input
Position 3 / Line: 180 degrees phase, crossover engaged for low level input
Position 4 / LFE: 180 degrees phase, crossover bypassed for low level input

Drive unit impedance: 4 ohm
True 200W (continuous) discrete direct-coupled MOSFET amplifier

The good news is that the REL filter is pretty much what you need.
To answer your question, if you set the switch to 25Hz the frequency range will be from 25Hz down to single figures. You might choose to open it up a bit, say 40Hz and down.

The not so good news is that the amplifier is designed to drive a 4 ohm load. It will only give 200 watts into this load. If you connect to an 8 ohm load the power will be much less - say 120 watts. The amplifier will find the load easy and no danger of over heating.

Suggest you try it as you have the REL to hand and depending on the size of your sofa it may well be enough.

Thanks Cliff, I suspected it might be underpowered, shame as would have been perfect really! I had seen a figure quoted as 200w at 8ohm but I suspect it was a mis-type.

Apart from the Behringer A500 is there any other Behringer amps people can suggest? Ideally with the crossover built in.
Budget about £400.
Looking to order a Quake 10B tomorrow.
What cables would I need?

Cheers

Guyan: Shaker Center offered a group buy discount to the AVF. If we took 4 units £275 + p+p. I imagine if we took 10 as the last AVF group buy, they would offer £250. Let me know if interested.

Thanks for the offer and I would of done yesterday but today I have just bought the Quake 10b and the BK 1000.

Let us know how you get with it all. Some time back I looked at that very same set-up and its still there as I would like to see about doing it some time.

Richard

guyan123 said:
Thanks for the offer and I would of done yesterday but today I have just bought the Quake 10b and the BK 1000.

Hi Guyan, let me know how you get on as I too am looking at the same kit.
I'm interested to see if you get real low end response to subtle effects etc

I'm going to try and take advantage of a group buy :D

Riz

Riz_Mini said:
Hi Guyan, let me know how you get on as I too am looking at the same kit.
I'm interested to see if you get real low end response to subtle effects etc

I'm going to try and take advantage of a group buy :D

Riz

Hi
Where is the group buy

Any idea when this will happen ??

Richard

richard00777 said:
Hi
Where is the group buy

Any idea when this will happen ??

Richard

I PM'd AudiophileUK regarding the group buy.... including myself, you and Audiophile that's 3 already....

I've ordered a Fmod 50Hz low-pass module from the US to ensure nothing higher than 70Hz passes to the Buttkicker 1000N amp :)

The Buttkicker amp has a built in adjustable high cutoff and is a class D unit. I'm guessing it'll produce about 500watt RMS to the earthquake 10b and has a operating range as low as 5Hz :D

The only thing holding me back at the moment is the cost for the entire kit (£740) :eek:

AudiophileUk, any more information regarding a group buy and dates?

Riz :)

imho a 40hz crossover is slightly too high, and the eq can help to get just the right response :)

Hi, can anyone tell me where I can get an inline low pass filter. I did find one on flea bay but I am buggered if I can find it now?

Thanks

Tom

Tried that but no such luck.

Have fund them on parts express for $25 but not sure what shipping and tax will be. Anywhere in the UK i can get these?

Thanks

Tom

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom