1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eat Static

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by smallangryboy, Jan 18, 2005.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Call me old fashioned but I don't think I should have to endure electro shock treatment every time I use my Amp or DVD player.

Basically when I touch my receiver or DVD player I tend to get a shock off it. This isn't related to any specific gear, it's happened with different equipment that I've owned.

I wondered what the best way of combating this is, and discharging it through something other than my fingers ! It's not helped by being in a dry centrally heated environment, and the equipment is in a metal cabinet.

Any ideas what I can do before I damage my hifi through the simple process of touching the bloody thing !

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    It's not static in my experience its due to some equipment being earthed and some not. My system has shocked me on several occasions and as you've found out it flipping hurts.

3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Any way to overcome this, as the last thing I want to see is blue flashes arcing over my gear prior to their expiry or mine !

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It could also be your carpet/shoes.

You could try connecting all of the cases together and earth that to a wall socket if they aren't already (just loosen a case screw and put some wire through it). This does incur the risk of forming ground loops which generate hum though. :)

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    eviljohn's suggestion is a very good way to go....a lot of low power items such as DVD and CD players are double insulated and not earthed via the mains,and potential differences between various parts of anyone's system are thus not uncommon.

Earthing each piece of equipment individually,back to a common point,should remove this,doing one piece at a time,so that if you do develop a hum loop,you will know where it's occurred.
    Laborious and time consuming,but should help.....

The point about static and dry environments is also worth considering....if you have a carpet with a moderate nylon content,then static build-up is likely,and you may well be finding yourself being earthed via your hifi!....just as a test,have you tried earthing yourself(!) before touching the hifi....sounds laughable,but it's what you'd do before delving into the guts of your PC,to remove any static charge....I'd try this first,and deal with static build-up as the simplest one to exclude first.

6. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the advice guys. We have wooden floors, and it happens with various footware :) I think it's probably a combination of factors, but I will definately have a go at earthing the equipment, and 'discharging' myself before touching the hifi - hmm sounds kinda rude !

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    LOL.....it does sound a bit rude,and from what you've said,probably not static,but it's an easy one to exclude whereas the others take a bit more effort(unfortunately).

If you take an earth from each piece of gear that doesn't have its own earth individually(i.e.via the mains lead) it may solve the problem,by earthing the equipment casing.

My system's problems have usually been the other way round to an extent,with a couple of hum loops,one caused by valve amps that required the grounds to be lifted,and the other with my Krells and a similar problem,when used in conjunction with valved gear...(lifting an earth connection should only ever be used as a last resort,and is NOT a recommended course of action in any case,although many people do this).