• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Easy-to-use editing software?

js474

Banned
Am awaiting pick-up of my Panasonic SD90 and looking for decent editing software that's easy to navigate & use as I'm a complete beginner.

I've looked at various YouTube 'how-to' videos and so much software seems to use terms that only a semi-prof would understand!

Does anybody have any recommendations please? Freeware would really suit until I'm proficient enough to move upwards....

Thanks.

:smashin:

Metalhead Pete

I have recently tried Corel Videostudio Pro X4 and that is extremely user friendly also their online customer support is very good,however I was disappointed with the results (quality was noticeably inferior to the raw footage and titles/effects didn't look all that great).I also tested Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 and this (although not as user friendly as VSP X4) produced far better results.It also has a load of encoding options (High quality/slow encode,2 pass encode,720P 50FPS,custom bitrate) which is not always the case with some editing software (in it's price range,anyway).Not sure freeware is going to do the job for you (presuming you are intending to edit in HD?) but both of these mentioned programs are available reasonably cheap,can work with full HD footage (as well as others such as Sony Vegas Movie Studio) and pretty much all have trial versions.I paid £37.50 for Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 (Ebay item 170547109278 if you're interested),while Amazon are doing Vegas Movie Studio for £28.99.Reviews and recommendations are good for pointers but I would recommend try before you buy.

Hope this helps :)

TheShadowman

Hi

I tried many "free trial" versions on my modestly powered PC. I found most not too user friendly. The one that I found the easiest to use was "PowerDirector 8" It handles HD easilly and really is a breeze to use as most edits can be carried out by dragging.

There is also a very friendly user forum if you do get into trouble. I believe there is now a PD9 version which you may be able to download as a free trial.

In my experience, as a novice, PD8 was a excellent and worth the money. I bought mine from Amazon.

I hope this helps you

Richard Jones

It really depends on how much editing you plan to do and on how sophisticated you want to be.

Apart from cutting and re-arranging the order of clips you will need to consider what effects you might want to use (e.g. types of transition, effects for their own sake such as blur or rotation, things such as colour correction and stabilisation etc., etc.). You will also want to consider whether you will want to add your own music selections and a voice over. If you want all of these things there will be an inevitable learning curve with that curve being that much steeper with the more sophisticated programmes.

If you do want to go down this route I think Sony Vegas Movie Studio (costs) would be a good choice, especially as it can later be upgraded to the more comprehensive Sony Vegas Pro if you dercide you want to go further down this route. There are a number of excellent support forums for Vegas and once you overcome the initial hurdles much of what you do becomes fairly intuitive.

Good Luck,

Richard

senu

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

js474

Banned
Can't thank you all enough for your comments & advice....:thumbsup:

(Senu, my unmodified laptop spec: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 - 2.0GHz - 3Gb DDR3 - up to 1791 Mb NVidia GeForce G105M)

Off now to have a look at the suggestions!

Cheers again.

James

senu

Distinguished Member
Laptop may be fine for simple edits..
Generally i3/ i5/ quadcore tend to be far more nippy but this is also software dependent.

Metalhead Pete

Regarding Magix Movie Edit Pro 17,the version I bought does not have the AVCHD encoder as standard (only the plus version,which is the one you get to trial has this as standard).The AVCHD encoder plug in cost £9.99 so if you intend on editing HD footage you need to budget for this.On the plus side I am very pleased indeed with the results.I did a 5 minute test clip and added some titles and transition effects.I encoded it at 1920 x 1080i AVCHD (20Mbs) and the results were superb.Quality was comparable with the raw footage and effects looked very professional.Software cost me £47.50 (inc. plug in),so it hardly broke the bank.My PC is not exactly a powerhouse (3.2ghz Core 2 Extreme,4GB RAM) but this program runs like a dream on it.Well pleased TBH :thumbsup:

axiomprime

VideoSpin is free and easy but I think you have to pay to edit certain file types or on HD. Windows Movie Maker is free to some and pretty easy. iMovie is really nice if you're on a mac. The freeware editing apps I've used are fiddly.

senu

Distinguished Member
VideoSpin is free and easy but I think you have to pay to edit certain file types or on HD. Windows Movie Maker is free to some and pretty easy. iMovie is really nice if you're on a mac. The freeware editing apps I've used are fiddly.

Video spin is terribly limited!:rolleyes::suicide:
Id far rather use Fully functioning trial software!

axiomprime

Doesn't it give you a month of being less limited before pulling the shutters down? It's been a while so I can't really remember. I remember it being very user friendly though.

12harry

Distinguished Member
JS474 - you are embarking on a new hobby, perhaps. The films you make will last a long time (suitably saved/backed-up), so it's worth the pain in learning "How-To" as in most walks of life.

Sadly Tech Terms are needed. because nothing else describes "precisely" what is meant. "Thingamy" is no use when you want to shift the Timeline.

I am a beginner on Sony Vegas, but the production Suite is a bargain (Amazon) with DVD tutorial and Sound Forge as well as a DVD/Blueray creation program, oddly called "Architect"

YouTube indexing is difficult and many Tutorials are for earlier versions...but YouTube doesn't delete them. (say after 2-years)...having a decent Index,would help..

Beware though that Sony Vegas has no "Storyboard" feature - this is loved by classic filmmakers who amass many "clips" prior to Editing. The Storyboard feature hasn't bothered me yet, and no-one has complained loudly, so Sony leaves it be.

Storyboarding is probably more important prior to shooting.

The other Edit-software has yet to catch-up with Sony pricing - and then there's free Microsoft Movie Maker, which covers all the Basic tools. (Win7 needs to download). Some of the other programs (apart from EXPENSIVE Pro-versions) are buggy as I read it, as well as being overpriced. Sony Vegas fits into the mould like buying Panasonic. you won't regret it, long after the .... has been forgotten.

Last edited:

js474

Banned
JS474 - you are embarking on a new hobby, perhaps. The films you make will last a long time (suitably saved/backed-up), so it's worth the pain in learning "How-To" as in most walks of life.

Sadly Tech Terms are needed. because nothing else describes "precisely" what is meant. "Thingamy" is no use when you want to shift the Timeline.

I am a beginner on Sony Vegas, but the production Suite is a bargain (Amazon) with DVD tutorial and Sound Forge as well as a DVD/Blueray creation program, oddly called "Architect"

YouTube indexing is difficult and many Tutorials are for earlier versions...but YouTube doesn't delete them. (say after 2-years)...having a decent Index,would help..

Beware though that Sony Vegas has no "Storyboard" feature - this is loved by classic filmmakers who amass many "clips" prior to Editing. The Storyboard feature hasn't bothered me yet, and no-one has complained loudly, so Sony leaves it be.

Storyboarding is probably more important prior to shooting.

The other Edit-software has yet to catch-up with Sony pricing - and then there's free Microsoft Movie Maker, which covers all the Basic tools. (Win7 needs to download). Some of the other programs (apart from EXPENSIVE Pro-versions) are buggy as I read it, as well as being overpriced. Sony Vegas fits into the mould like buying Panasonic. you won't regret it, long after the .... has been forgotten.

12harry - thank you :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom