1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy to loose digital pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by The Hemulen, Mar 21, 2003.

1. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think somewhere along the line I've not backed up (and now lost) a whole load of unreplaceable photo's from my hard disk :(
    All of a sudden real printed photo's seem that much more apealing.
    I wonder how much 'history' will be lost in just such a way. After all most people have pictures of great grandparents etc. I wonder if a .jpg will still be intact or indeed even on readable media in seventy plus years time?

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yes, I always suggest getting hard print copies of photos from your digital camera as well as storing the image files.;)

3. jtgraphics

jtgraphics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now with digital files you need a little diffrent approch to protect your files. I use a Raid Controller with 2 hard drives mirrored (RAID 0) which all my work and photos get downloaded to from CF cards. If a hard drive goes bad and they all do at some time I just need to replace the bad one and rebuild that hard drives image, this is my temporary storage system never need to worry about loosing any data.
    I now backup for permanent storage to DVD media before it was CDR, who knows what's next. The reason I don't worry about all the hype on how long it will last as at some point you will be transferring it to something else anyways. As long as its archived so others know what it is all that matters after all you most likely wont be the one who needs to worry about it in 60+ years.
    Same holds true for me with printers and life of prints, as long as I have the file I can print another or others can print them. I see so much on fade life of inks, what about the papers life its self? Great ink and paper that yellows what good is that.

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I always get copies at a proper photolab, you can upload pics on the net and get proper photo prints on lab paper just for a few pence.