1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy To Edit HDD / DVD Recorder - Which one ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bad robot, Jan 27, 2005.

1. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Hi, guys.
    Im basically looking a HDD Dvd recorder that will allow easy editing and manual chapter options.

Heres the idea.
    1)To record music channels from Sky to Hard-drive approx 2 hours, then edit out songs/adverts not wanted etc.
    2)Manually create a new chapter for each song and burn this to DVD.
    3)Rip DVD VOBs to PC for creating an entertainment database.

Is this possible and what DVD recorders would you guys recommend. I dont need a large sized recorder but it must offer good editing and chapter facilities.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Easy editting can be performed by all of the 'big four' HDD/DVDR producers: Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony although the latter is somewhat 'weaker' than the other three in this respect.

If I may make a suggestion: a good way of doing what you want to do is to record onto a DVD recorder (using XP mode with LPCM recording), edit out unwanted scenes and divide each song into a seperate title. You then can dub them all to DVD-RAM/DVD-RW and import into a programme such as TMPG Encoder 3Xpress where you can re-encode the video into a space efficient format (Divx, WMV, MPEG4 etc) without sacrificing audio quality. All in all provides a top solution. The excellent editting on the Panasonic's in particular is good for this.

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for general advice on DVD recorders!

3. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Thanks very much and great link to that site, nice one.

Thinking along the lines of a Panasonic model.
    Not so worried about re encoding as PC HDD are so cheap nowadays.
    Want to keep the best quality possible and stick to easy DVD burning if required besides Sky isnt great to start with / noticable MPEG compression but know what you mean.

Cheers

4. Pilch

Pilch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm doing the same thing, starting with that new 'Girls Aloud' video...

Huba hubba :)