Easy to connect 5.1 PC speakers to Sky HD box?

King Mustard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We're looking to buy some 5.1 PC speakers and we'll be connecting them to the Sky HD box.

Is this easy to do?

What should we be looking for in such PC speakers? Optical out?

Doubt PC speakers will do the job - they don't normally come with their own amplifier. You need some form of amp that supports optical or digital coaxial input - not output - and then a set of speakers (six in total including a sub-woofer) to connect to the amp.

When I say "PC speakers", I'm thinking a £150 Logitech set. They're powered with their own amplifier I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
That IS how they describe their products, and presumably that's what the products are meant for.
PCs and satellite PVRs are rather different things, and a normal amplifierand speakers would be a better option.
The Sky machine gives you a choice of digital connection, by co-ax cable or by optical cable.
Input sockets for both are standard on normal sound systems, but may not be on PC systems.

Last edited:
That IS how they describe their products, and presumably that's what the products are meant for.
PCs and satellite PVRs are rather different things, and a normal amplifier speakers would be a better option.

Can decent ones of those be purchased for around £150?

Unfortunately not.
I suggest shopping around on the internet, and then you may find that the PC systems are the most practical for you after all.

Unfortunately not.
I suggest shopping around on the internet, and then you may find that the PC systems are the most practical for you after all.

Oh, so you're saying a £150 PC speaker system would work fine with the Sky HD box? :)

If the amplifier that comes with the system has input sockets that have equivalent output sockets on the Sky machine then it will work.
As dm2 confirms the usual sockets would be for co-ax or optical cables, but any others that matched would work.

Hi.
A few years back, I got some Altec Lansing ADA885 speakers for under £60. They include SP/DIF in and DD5.1 decoding, and a remote control.
So such kit can be found in that price bracket. But you have to check the specs carefully. Most computer speakers only have analogue 5.1 inputs by 3 x 3.5mm jack plug.
You should also be aware that for not much more, you get into the realm of proper HT kit. Yamaha YHT196 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds for example, seems to get good things said about it on the AV Amplifiers and Receivers | AVForums.com - UK Online forum...
--
Regards, Iain.

Yes, a Home Theatre System like that has to be a better option if only because it's intended for the purpose and not for something else.
I have a system from Argos that was well under the £100 mark.

If the amplifier that comes with the system has input sockets that have equivalent output sockets on the Sky machine then it will work.
As dm2 confirms the usual sockets would be for co-ax or optical cables, but any others that matched would work.

There are no other matching 5.1 outputs from a Sky box so it can only be those two

I didn't say they "would work" with 5:1.;)

Do consider spending the cash on second hand proper AV gear... this is an AV forum after all. :D

Hi.
A few years back, I got some Altec Lansing ADA885 speakers for under £60. They include SP/DIF in and DD5.1 decoding, and a remote control.
So such kit can be found in that price bracket. But you have to check the specs carefully. Most computer speakers only have analogue 5.1 inputs by 3 x 3.5mm jack plug.
You should also be aware that for not much more, you get into the realm of proper HT kit. Yamaha YHT196 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds for example, seems to get good things said about it on the AV Amplifiers and Receivers | AVForums.com - UK Online forum...
--
Regards, Iain.
That Yamaha YHT-196 has 5x100w speakers, a 100w sub and costs £180.

The Sony HT-AS5 has 5x167w speakers, a 165w sub and costs £175.

I am researching further options in this price range :)

Hi.
Careful; very little point playing the wattage game.
Ideally, have a read of reviews, and download the user guides. No point picking something that'll pump out hundreds of watts of drivel, or that you can't operate effectively, or doesn't do something you want.
--
Regards, Iain.

Yes, those wattages are high, and they don't match the prices.

All I want is a decent £150-£180 5.1 setup that sounds decent - it's so difficult! :/

There IS a lot of choice.
Do look into the AVF Amplifier forum for information and for other people's experiences.

That Yamaha YHT-196 has 5x100w speakers, a 100w sub and costs £180.

The Sony HT-AS5 has 5x167w speakers, a 165w sub and costs £175.

Scary stuff. 500 Watts total is half a kiloWatt. That's a small electric fire!
Bear in mind that the efficiency, at best, won't exceed 80%, it will consume at least 600 Watts of power from the mains. Most of this will appear as heat.

The Sony will be using around a kiloWatt.
You'll need air conditioning and deep pockets! :eek:

I've just purchased the afore-mentioned Yamaha YHT-196 (set it all up last night) and so far I am very happy with it. A lot of useful features, and very good quality considering the price.

Hi.
Welcome to the realm of HT ownership.
The only problem is that you'll now start to notice just how terrible TV speakers really are... Even with dull stuff like the news...
Well, one of the problems. The other is that it can be the start of the slippery slope that ends with something like Onkyo TXNR5009 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds ... :)
--
Regards, Iain.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom