Easy repair on NAD CD?

bam-bam

Novice Member
Hi
I have an old NAD 5320 CD player. All works fine (the display, sounds good etc.), except that the drawer doesn't open when you press the button. It will open with a bit of coaxing (press button, use knife blade to lever open) and then shuts ok.

Is this a simple repair? Is it worth doing?

Cheers

Halloway

Novice Member
Hi
I have an old NAD 5320 CD player. All works fine (the display, sounds good etc.), except that the drawer doesn't open when you press the button. It will open with a bit of coaxing (press button, use knife blade to lever open) and then shuts ok.

Is this a simple repair? Is it worth doing?

Yes. Assuming something isn't actually broken then it shouldn't be too difficult. I have fixed several CD and DVD players with the same problem as yours.

The main thing is to identify the optical assembly (the lens etc) and make sure you don't touch it or damage it.

I am not familiar with NAD CDs so can only offer general advice. If your CD player uses rubber belts to drive the tray then check they are not slipping when the motor is turning. If the belt is slipping then either it is dirty or greasy or has stretched. In either case you might be able to effect a temporary repair by cleaning the belt with a little water (don't use chemicals) but in the long run it is worth getting a replacement.

If your tray uses gears then check they are intact (all the teeth are present) and engaging correctly.

Otherwise, once you get the case off just keep trying to open and close the tray whilst you watch the various bits of the mechanism. It should become obvious to you what is not working properly.

clockworks

Novice Member
While you've got the lid off, check the rails that the drawer slides on. Clean off any dirt or grease with isopropyl alcohol. Re-lubricate with a smear of white silicone grease.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom