Eastern Promises HD/SD Combo DVD Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Jan 10, 2008.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
    News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Reviewed by Keith Hurst
    A wonderful piece of work from a man who's been in cinema long enough to know what's good and what pulls a film together. In his early days he made the best of his investments and produced horror which he knew he would get a return on. These horrors are still to this day some of my favourites even though they're looking a little dated now. He's obviously matured tremendously though because Eastern Promises is a film I could recommended to anyone.

The script is excellent, acting wonderfully understated yet bold and determined; filming around London is a joy to see. This has now come to us on disc with a truly top-notch video transfer which I for one intend to re-visit every now and again. The audio's not in your face but it suits the film's nature and besides it needn't all be rattling windows time.

Unfortunately this disc as a set is greatly let down by not just the lack of extras but also the shallowness of those provided, so much more could have been done. With a firmer set of extras the whole package would have received a certain 9, however it's got to go back to 8 because of this. I still recommend you try and pick this up, you'll become engrossed with the storyline and the visuals will at times have you looking at the depth of the picture as opposed to concentrating on the unfolding plot.
    Read the full review...

2. jolly

jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Got this on order, looking forward to watching this more than ever

steve