Easiest way to get sky to the conservatory ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by True-Blue, Sep 1, 2007.

1. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Hi,

this has probably been asked in many forms before but I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

I have Sky + in my living room, feeding my panny plasma and I've just had a conservatory built and put a new Panny LCD in there.

what's the easiest way for me to get sky to the screen in the conservatory without losing picture quality ?

I know I'll have to have both screens showing the same channel and this is not a concern.

Many thanks.

2. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Hi

For my bedroom I use the Sky Magic Eye option (just google it).
    The cost is around £15 for the eye and some RF Cable.
    Ok the picture is not up to HD or even RGB standard, but if you are viewing it on a portible or smaller screen, the picture is fine!
    Of course, the second box option in open to you (multiroom) and cost of a new box + £10 a month subscription.

Try magic eye, dont think you will regret it.

John

3. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Hi,

I've just had a quick 'google' and I can find plenty of people selling them but no detailed explanation.

In idiot's terms..... do I basically run a length of normal ariel type coax around the house and into the conservatory, with the Magic Eye plugged in at the TV end ?

How should the image compare to the image I achieve through RGB Scart on my plasma, which is mainly excellent.

Thanks again. :)

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Compared to a scart connection the coax picture will be very poor indeed, particularly on a large screen.

Also does the new TV have an analogue tuner? If not you cannot connect using a magic eye.

A better quality picture (composite video) will usually be obtained by using a wireless video sender (many of which also allow use of the remote in the second location). This method can be subject to interference from people walking between transmitter and receiver OR from microwave cookers.

The next best picture quality will be cables from the s-video socket and audio out sockets to the conservatory.

The best quality will be obtained by using a scart lead and RGB signal splitter, with cable to first TV and a long scart cable to the conservatory

All these depend on what size screen and what input sockets are available on the new TV.

5. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Looks like I need to investigate the scart splitter option and building a custom scart lead. I don't mind drilling 'cable' size holes in the side of my house but I don't want to dril a 'scart connector' size hole.

Ultimately PQ is important, the set in the conservatory will get a lot of watching. It's a panny 32LXD70 and the PQ from DVD is awesome, so I want to maximise the sky PQ also.

Many thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

6. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have the same as your self withe a sony in the L/rm and a pioneer in the conservatory. this is what i have done.

Direct feed from tv mast in to sky box.
    From rf2 on the sky box up to the loft 8way booster on the tv in side.
    This now puts tv and sky signal to the booster.

As my pioneer has a media box i have 2 cables from the booster, one to the media box in the cupboard, the other sits above the tv with the tv eye. This let me control the sky box. The picture is great on the 50" pioneer, but i only get Mono sound.:(

Hope this helps

Alona