Question Easiest way to copy VHS-c to DVD with auto titles to allow better navigation

Chrispm

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have Panasonic DMR-EZ49V vhs and dvd recorder and I want to copy lots of old tapes to DVD for safekeeping and playability. I would really like to be able to easily navigate around the DVDs once done. However all attempts so far have created DVD with only one or two navigable sections showing on the menu even though the video length is 45 minutes in my test VHSc and the resulting DVD.
Tried reading the manual but not getting very far.
Any guidance out there ?

Welcome to the forum.

You need to post-edit once you have transferred to disk... but this is only possible (when using an EZ49) if you use RAM discs.

Using RAM you can split the material into separate titles, or chapter within each, as desired.

Thx, What would I use to post edit? Will RAM disks play on standard DVD players and laptops ?

Thx, What would I use to post edit? Will RAM disks play on standard DVD players and laptops ?
You would use the editing facilities in the EX49 to edit.
No. They will not play on standard players and will only play on laptops if the drive supports RAM, which is very rare.

If you had a DVD recorder with a hard drive all this editing would be done on hard disk before transfer to DVD, but that is not an option here. On your machine it can only be done when using RAM discs.

Assuming that your objective is to get normal 'playable anywhere' DVD discs, I presume you are recording onto DVD-R discs.

A workaround, if it is possible, would be to add more index marks onto the tape before you transfer. A title should be created on the disc whenever a chapter mark is encountered, provided you use the automatic copying method as set out on page 24 of the manual ( UK manual)

As far as I can tell, the Chapter button on the remote will only work with RAM discs, not tape sources, but you could experiment to see if it does.

Otherwise you would have to chapter back in a device that recorded these tapes - A camcorder presumably.

I just noticed my DVD stock is +R and +RW, are those different to -R?

I no longer have the VHSc camcorder but I am getting the 8mm camcorder fixed at present.

Can I create titles or chapters by pausing or stopping recording every so often ?

Yes, + disks are different. All material you put onto + type discs will be limited to 4:3 ratio, but I imagine that will not be an issue as it is probable that the material you are transferring is 4:3 anyway.
That limitation does not apply to -R type discs.

Don't forget to finalise the discs if you want them to be playable elsewhere.

I am not certain of the behaviour regarding pausing, it MAY create a chapter - You would have to experiment.... but you would have to copy manually to be able to do that. I don't think such an option is available if you use the automatic method.

Although creating chapters would improve navigability in the final product, if you want material broken up into separate titles you would probably have to stop each recording segment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom