• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Earthquake in Kos this morning

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Hi all. Was awoken 4 hours ago at 01:10 local time by our hotel bedroom shaking up and down, stuff falling from the ceiling, stuff flying off the shelves etc. All the hotels on Kos and apparently parts of Turkey have been emptied and we are all currently decamped to an area of wasteground away from overhead powerlines and trees etc. We have had several aftershocks earlier and the whole experience has been scary as to be honest. The US geological survey has stated that it was a 6.7 magnitude earthquake centred in the Aegean 10 miles from here and 6 miles from the coast of Turkey. Just had another tremor as I'm writing this that was fairly powerful.

D

Deleted member 13294

I'm in Turgetreis, which is very close to Kos. Just a 20 mins boat journey.

We are 19km west of Bodrum and the earthquake was 10km sse of Bodrum.

It was certainly an intense first hit with the earthquake. So far I've counted 16 aftershocks, some of which have been quite powerful too.

My initial concern was about tsunami risk. It took about 35 mins until the earthquake was shown on any of the various watch websites. One of which confirmed no tsunami risk.

We didn't get evacuated. In fact the resort was very quiet. No alarms, no shouting, no panic. We are slightly insulated from the rest of the town but we were very alert to anything which would mean we have to get out quickly.

I hadn't heard of any deaths or injuries until I read this post. (First thing I've checked after Facebook this morning). That's very sad, and I hope @DemonAV and family are all safe.

Showoff

Distinguished Member
My nephew is in Kos at the moment. We are trying to get hold of him to check he is ok...
Fingers crossed!

It must be so frightening.

D

Deleted member 13294

Some people here are very jumpy. Was having breakfast, there was a small aftershock and a number of people instantly got up and hurried outside.

Very little damage we can see so far. On one stairway a bit of plaster came away.

20170721_091129.jpg

Our rep lives in Gumbert which is next to Bodrum. She said some building damage is visible plus water leaks coming up from what I assume are broken water mains. But nobody hurt that she is aware of.

It's a pretty strange atmosphere, but no real sense of panic.

rousetafarian

Hope all you guys are safe.

Sounds a similar response by the locals to one I experienced in Cyprus 1999. Unsettling if you've never been in one tbh but the locals were not phased in the slightest.

D

Deleted member 13294

Just found out that a large number of people want to go home. A fair few people with packed bags in the reception and some out by the pool lying on sunbeds as they don't want to be in the building.

Bit silly I think. No real damage here and no real risk.

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Some people here are very jumpy. Was having breakfast, there was a small aftershock and a number of people instantly got up and hurried outside.

Very little damage we can see so far. On one stairway a bit of plaster came away.

View attachment 888164

Our rep lives in Gumbert which is next to Bodrum. She said some building damage is visible plus water leaks coming up from what I assume are broken water mains. But nobody hurt that she is aware of.

It's a pretty strange atmosphere, but no real sense of panic.
Same here in Lambi, Kos. A few people (tourists) in tears and a couple were being sick where we were all decamped outside the hotel, prob too much booze [emoji16] all very orderly with no panic. There was a good few taxis pulling up at the hotel across the road to us at between 03.30-05.00 this morning which is mostly used by Scandinavians and there were a good few of their guests getting into these taxis with their suitcases. The manager at our hotel said that they were panicking and fleeing to the airport to get an early flight out "because they are scandinavians" he said [emoji16] Not sure bout that as they may have had very early flights prebooked?

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Just found out that a large number of people want to go home. A fair few people with packed bags in the reception and some out by the pool lying on sunbeds as they don't want to be in the building.

Bit silly I think. No real damage here and no real risk.
We are due out tomorrow anyway but I was talking to a couple overnight who are on their 2 day on holiday. Real shame as this could very well ruin their holiday for them?

D

Deleted member 13294

We leave on Monday. It hasn't changed our plans one bit.

Lying by the pool as I type this. Off to Turgetreis market tomorrow and then another lazy pool day Sunday before we leave on Monday.

Seen a few more small areas where plaster has come away. Been told that they are focused on where there was an extension to the hotel and the original building butts up against the new.

Reps and hotel staff being very visible and reassuring which is good.

IronGiant

From the initial photos of the damage I never dreamed the tower would have been that high. BTW Maybe that photo you took of the bar sign was a portent :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom