1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earthing Amp any point?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by oliver24, Aug 29, 2004.

1. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    I have a coper ground stake and earth cable and clamps in
    my shead, Just wondered if it was worth earthing my Yamaha RX650

in the manual it recommends a earth for the mw aerial "for performance
    and safety" , If thats the case why dont they use a 3 pin power lead??

could I do more harm than good by installing a ground from the soil,
    I thought this may be better than from the mains because there would
    be less chance of mains noise ???

I really just want to prevent any pops and clicks from my speakers

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Yes it is a good idea ,it will help to reduce the noise on the mw but only if you have some kind of out door aerial.It might help a bit on the indoor loop aerial but i can't see that it would be worth it.I doubt that you will eliminate the pops and clicks on mw considering the poor tuners in av amps.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Safety for an outdoor aerial means lightning protection. The 3rd pin of a power lead is however intended for a different purpose (so-called Protective Earth (PE) that triggers the ELCB or RCD if the life wire would touch the case).
    Equipment that does not have a 3pin lead does not require one, the power supply section is then build in a way that the described fault cannot occur (in toys the power supply is usually encapsulated). Thus grounding the unit would be pointless.

Back to the aerial: any aerial that is placed outdoors should be grounded (shield), outside of the building, to ensure a proper grounding and thus provide lightning protection. And never run lightning protection cables into the building - that's the last thing you want to do!

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    What you want is something like this.
    [​IMG] .
    If you look at the photo the aerial is not earthed directly but the radio its connected to is , this is also a rf earth but would will help with lightning protection.The mast its on is aslo earthed this is a more direct connection to earth and would help more with lightning protection.To be totally safe it has to done right and a Static Discharge Protector fitted inline as well to protect the receiver.
    Its amazing what you can pick up with a good aerial.
    By the way this isn't connected to my av receiver.
    And thats a bird flying past not a bee. :laugh:

5. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob.
    I did have something just like that for my hf radio, I think I may of put it wrong what I ment, I was thinking more like static coming from the mains and being picked up by the speakers in all modes not just radio and if a external earth would prevent this.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bonding the shield of the aerial's cable to the mast's earthing would provide an even better protection and ensure that a strike into the antenna would not go to the radio / indoors first but rather would be guided straight to the ground.

If the antenna cable is not earthed a lighning may actually jump between the mast (or downconductor where applicable) and the antenna cable, whichever provides the lower resistance on it's way down.

No lightning protection gives total protection but a discharge protector (RF surge arrestor) is definetely recommended. Most require to be grounded, too.

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You are quite right ,its a good job we don't have much lighning :eek:
    I must say that i haven't had any problems in the last 20 years,but i do have everything earthed.The aerial should actually be in free air and not connected to the mast at all but i couldn't do it.Even aerials have a WAF :laugh:
    If anythings going to get struck it will be the aerial on the roof. :rolleyes:
    A surge protection socket might help with the mains clicks and pops.