1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earth Problem with Primare A.30

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RAC, May 20, 2002.

1. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with a little problem I'm having. I have a Sony widescreen TV, a TAG AV32R and a Primare A30.5 pre-amp. About 5 weeks ago, I was burgled and they theives were kind enough to remove the TV, DVD etc, but left all the audio only equipment. They worked fast and just removed all the cables out the back of the TV, not touching anything else on the AV processor/ hifi side.

But, ever since then (i.e. not beforehand) I have had this really annoying earth buzz coming out of the front speakers of my home cinema set up (PMC speakers), particularly the centre channel. I have a REL Q150 sub as well, which is also buzzing slightly. My AV eqpt is fed from 3 different sockets (probably all on the same fuseboard circuit), via Belkin surge protector power bars. The sub, power amp+TV, pre-amp are fed from different sockets.

I have removed and re-attached all power sockets, power leads, interconnects and the problem persists. The earth pin has been removed from the sub to make sure I didn't have an earth loop, and that has helped the sub somewhat. Also, I noticed that when I had the TV replaced and hooked it back up to the TAG, the buzzing was reduced a little bit more, but the problem is still easily noticeable (and VERY annoying!).

The buzz is definitely emanating from the Primare power amp because I can have every other bit of kit turned off, and the buzz will still come out of the speakers from this unit. powering other stuff on or off (including the TAG has no effect on the amount of buzz being produced. Pic attached of the set-up pre-burglary if this helps.

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do to further troubleshoot, or ideally, eliminate this buzzing, I'd be very grateful for your assistance. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn thieving scum deserve to have their testicles tied off with speaker wire till they turn purple and drop off.

Can you tell I've been burgled before? :)

Is it possible they damaged one of the cables when they yanked them out of your old setup? Could one of them be shorting out?

The only thing I know that causes buzzing is when the cables aren't right.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear you got burgled. I agree with Rochdale's punishment.

Would you mind me asking where you got your CD cabinet from (the one in the right of the photo) and if the shelves are adjustable? (Looks like it would make a great DVD cabinet) :D

Cheers :)

4. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - non-adjustable cheapie Ikea stuff. Hardly unique but nice and compact. I don't know that any cables are damaged. I tend to think not, simply because even if I turn all the other equipment off apart from the power amp, (thereby not using mot of the cables - is this good or bad methodology?) the buzzing remains. Any other suggestions please?

5. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a simular problem when first moved into my appartment.

But it was a problem of the TV arial feed having problems.

It was solved by putting a filter in place. I will try and check what type it is and post it later.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darn! Thanks anyway :)

7. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a similar problem recently (involving a Primare A30.1 and earth loop buzzing). This was resolved by using a ground breaker - since then it has gone away. I fear this is not the same problem you are having.

Apart from the buzzing, how do you find the Primare A30.5? I had vaguely thought about this as a future upgrade.

Dave48

8. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses everyone, although I'm not sure how much progress has been made. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for the A30.5, it's a lovely bit of kit. Some have argued that it lacks bass thump, but I find it to be nicely balanced and has a good deal of finesse. I sometimes wonder about it's outright clout, although it is rated at 125W and I can tell when it has been on just by looking at the electriity meter! I wouldn't call it the last word in multi-channel amplification, but it sits nicely between something like the Rotels at one end, and then fancier stuff like the TAGs, Brystons and Chords at the other. I had intended to get a Rotel but thought they sounded a bit 'watery' and decided to plump a bit more money on the table.