• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Earphones for music and calls

Tony B

Established Member
I have some Bose in-ear phones which I use with my iPhone and I am really pleased with the sound quality. However, it is a pain having to switch between these and the supplied earphones when making/receiving calls.

So, are there any decent in ear phones offering an in-line microphone too?

I like my music fairly bassy, and hate it when other people (e.g. on the train) can hear the sibilant stuff leaking out (because I hate being on the receiving end, myself) so would want good isolation properties.

TIA
Tony B

hooray33

Established Member
I use the Skullcandy iphone FMJs and am very pleased with both the audio quality and phone functionality. Shop around and you'll pay around £45.

iamholam

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you, looking for replacement earphones. Looking to spend around £50 and have narrowed it down to these.

My suggestions:

Skull Candy - FMJ's with mic
These from what I have heard are a little more bassy and look pretty good in a range of colours

Apple in ear earphones with remote and mic
New Apple earphones which come with a remote and mic (also with volume control but this doesn't work yet). Dual driver earphones. Looking at reviews they say that these are good but not great on bass and a little "clinical"

Ultimate Ears
Looking at a good set of ultimate ears, possibly the Metro.fi 220 vi's. These aren't out yet (sometime this month) but from what I have heard are very good.

If you are looking for other Ultimate Ears you can go for:
Super.fi 4 vi's
Super.fi 5 vi's

For me personally I'm waiting for the Metro.fi 220's to come out, or the Apple ones.

Good luck and let us know what you got in the end!

chrism_scotland

Prominent Member
I managed to buy the Skullcandy FMJ's from the States before they were out over here and I'd highly recommend them, excellent sound quality and they fit brilliantly, also cheap compared to the Ultimate Ears ones.

BuyCleverStuff

Established Member
How about this from JAYS.

The m-JAYS m-JAYS Stereo Music Adapter for iPhone is a "hand free kit" with 3.5mm stereo jack and built in microphone, the kit is sold complete with a set of Stereo j-JAYS Earphones too;

m-JAYS Music Adapter for iPhone incl Stereo j-JAYS Earphones - Black

m-jays_black_iphone_j-jays.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom