Question Earphone recommendations?

Hey guys, I'm pondering upgrading my current RHA T20s. Any suggestions? Earphones required as I'm not a big fan of over/on ear stuff for use out and about like these will be used for. Also prefer wired stuff due to the higher quality and the fact that I don't trust myself not to lose wireless IEMs!

Budget: £200-500
Audio source: Astrell & Kern SR15 mostly, playing a variety of stuff from low quality MP3s through to 320kb/s MP3s and FLACs.

I like warm, balanced audio, so nothing too bass-y or treble-y. :)

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator
Being settled with my iem pieces it's not really my end of the market anymore, every reviewer raves about the moondrop blessing 2 as punching above its weight. I have not heard it. Looks big from photos

Being settled with my iem pieces it's not really my end of the market anymore, every reviewer raves about the moondrop blessing 2 as punching above its weight. I have not heard it. Looks big from photos
Whoops, should have pointed out that I much prefer wired stuff as I don't trust myself not to lose wireless ones!

Steven

Senior Moderator
Okay

That is useful clarification although I already assumed you meant wired as you refer to an upgrade from the RHA T20

Have you actually googled what the Blessing 2 is?

:)

Okay

That is useful clarification although I already assumed you meant wired as you refer to an upgrade from the RHA T20

Have you actually googled what the Blessing 2 is?

:)
Hah, I had when I posted that, yes. But when I saw the initial pictures, they seemed to suggest that they were wireless earphones. Having read up on them more since, I know better now. ;) Thanks for the suggestion, they do look like a strong match for what I'm looking for!

canfabulous

I would give the Moondrop Starfield a go. I have some and I've moved on all my other wired IEMs. They punch way above their price point. They sound neutral and smooth, and you can find them on Amazon so there's no risk as you can return them if you don't like them.

I would give the Moondrop Starfield a go. I have some and I've moved on all my other wired IEMs. They punch way above their price point. They sound neutral and smooth, and you can find them on Amazon so there's no risk as you can return them if you don't like them.
Hmmmmmm, thanks mate, will give it some thought. But I'm a bit wary of buying something for that price really as it's about what my RHA T20s are sold for now, and I'm keen to make sure that I get a noticeable upgrade. And I don't really want to have to deal with the hassle of a potential return if I can help it.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I think you should read and demo more and not go off price tag bias!

I have not heard the moondrop IEM personally. But I have heard / own other pieces with a higher price tag. Those comparison points mean I have no reason to disbelieve the blessing 2 is the best sounding IEM south of £800

canfabulous

I would agree with that - don't necessarily be swayed by price.

The other one that came to mind when you said warm neutral would be the Fearless S8z, which are always really well reviewed but I only heard a friends set for a very short period of time to give proper impressions. If you want to spend a few hundred, then I would look at those or the Blessing 2 or perhaps even the S8.

Hmm... I really want to try the Blessing 2 now! :facepalm:

Fair enough, I'll try to bear that in mind!

The Fearless look good too, thanks! Not sure about the artwork on them, but that's a very, very minor quibble. I'm probably still leaning towards the Blessing 2 at this point as they seem to strike a strong sweet spot in terms of price/performance, and so many people are raving about how good they are for the price compared to more expensive IEMs.

daddy999

1More Quad driver are amazing IEM’s for the price. For work I use Tin T2’s, god knows how they make them for the money. I also have Moondrop Starfield, they punch well above their price point. For £100 ish, you can buy some amazing IEM’s today.

iamsludge

I still love my Etymotic Research ER4P-T.

ER have a 3 year warranty too, at least they did when I bought mine 10 years ago!

I still love my Etymotic Research ER4P-T.

ER have a 3 year warranty too, at least they did when I bought mine 10 years ago!
Cool! Yeah, I consider 2-year warranties the bare minimum for IEMs, I won't touch any with less than that, regardless of how good they are. RHA do 3 years as well, but truth be told I don't really like the sound of my RHA T20s that much any more, it's a bit too sludgy. Hence why I'm considering an upgrade!

ostewart

Cool! Yeah, I consider 2-year warranties the bare minimum for IEMs, I won't touch any with less than that, regardless of how good they are. RHA do 3 years as well, but truth be told I don't really like the sound of my RHA T20s that much any more, it's a bit too sludgy. Hence why I'm considering an upgrade!
Check out the Oriveti OH300, excellent earphones for the price with a smooth and more neutral tuning. Otherwise I'm also a big fan of the Dunu DK-2001, extremely good for the money.

T1berious

I came across this thread (sorry to hijack!) and thought that was a pretty strong recommendation for the Moondrop Starfield, meh they're on Amazon if they suck, back they go.

They are still running in but Lordy, I can seriously see myself getting the Blessing 2 further down the road just on the strength of these!

OK, I'll try and tailor my enthusiasm, so this is just off the PC rather than via my Chord Mojo and I haven't stopped listening.

Deeply impressed!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom