eARC workaround on non-eARC tv?

sirentheproud

Novice Member
Trying to add full Dolby Atmos/DTS:X audio on a budget to my TV (Hisense U6G). The issue: the Hisense U6G does not support eARC for lossless audio. I've already found a semi-affordable soundbar set-up that I'm looking to buy (Vizio M512a-H6) which does have eARC. So my question is, since eARC is of importance to audio, is there any possible set-up where I have an eARC-enabled sound system and 4K Blu-Ray player communicating with each other for audio, since a lot of players have separate HDMI-outs for audio, and then the player simply sends video to the TV? Or does every single piece of equipment, TV included, have to be eARC compatible? I hope I'm making sense. If not, please let me know. This is all new to me and rather confusing.

If I can set things up such that the TV is simply handling video and the audio is handled elsewhere, which 4K Blu-Ray players, if any, have eARC out ports?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
ARC is Audio Return Channel ( eARC is the same but does lossless audio formats ) and it is a way for a screen to pass audio from its internal apps and other connected devices back to an AV receiver or soundbar.

If you have an AV receiver or soundbar capable of handling all the audio formats , then you can connect all your devices directly to it , assuming you have enough inputs , and then you don't need any flavour of ARC at all.

Streaming apps such as netflix , Disney+ , etc. dont use lossless audio , they use at best , a lossy version of dolby atmos which works fine over ARC.
So with the right receiver or soundbar , you don't need eARC at all.

Upvote 0

sirentheproud

Novice Member
ARC is Audio Return Channel ( eARC is the same but does lossless audio formats ) and it is a way for a screen to pass audio from its internal apps and other connected devices back to an AV receiver or soundbar.

If you have an AV receiver or soundbar capable of handling all the audio formats , then you can connect all your devices directly to it , assuming you have enough inputs , and then you don't need any flavour of ARC at all.

Streaming apps such as netflix , Disney+ , etc. dont use lossless audio , they use at best , a lossy version of dolby atmos which works fine over ARC.
So with the right receiver or soundbar , you don't need eARC at all.
Thank you for the help. I now have a new question. Most Dolby Atmos/DTS:X sound systems seem to be soundbars. Apparently, soundbars and receivers do not play nice. As such, is the idea that I'd basically need an HDMI 2.1 switch and then something like an HD Fury Arcana connected to the soundbar to get all my devices connected with lossless audio? Or is the level to which soundbars and receivers don't work well together overstated?

Upvote 0

sirentheproud

Novice Member
Thank you for the help. I now have a new question. Most Dolby Atmos/DTS:X sound systems seem to be soundbars. Apparently, soundbars and receivers do not play nice. As such, is the idea that I'd basically need an HDMI 2.1 switch and then something like an HD Fury Arcana connected to the soundbar to get all my devices connected with lossless audio? Or is the level to which soundbars and receivers don't work well together overstated?
Actually I'm dumb. The Vizio soundbar has a single HDMI in and then of course the eARC HDMI out. So I probably don't need the HD Fury Arcana, right? I would just connect the HDMI 2.1 switch directly to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the tv?

Upvote 0

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Both Soundbars and receivers can be dolby atmos/dtsx.
You choose one or the other.
Either a receiver and speakers or a soundbar.

Nobody wants a soundbar .... they are a cheaper, easier, more wife/partner friendly lifestyle compromise that can only ever approximate true surround or atmos setups that you get with a receiver and speakers.

Normally , you do not connect a receiver to a soundbar , in most cases that would cause more problems than it would solve.

HDMI switch to soundbar is the way to go.
Or ideally , a capable receiver and decent speakers , no switch needed in this case.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom