eARC to ARC

SilverGamer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running a HDMI connection from an eARC TV socket to an ARC device ?

I want to run sound from my LG HDMI 2.1 eARC socket to my old AMP via ARC, will this work ? I obviously do not require any of the additional features / formats that eARC supports. I will be using a Ultra-High-Speed HDMI Cable (so that when I upgrade the Amp I don't have to change cables).

Cheers.

Will revert to ARC. Both units need to be eARC capable to benefit.

Note it is not mandated the eARC revert or work with ARC so whilst most folk who have tried it have found it does work there will always be someone who ends up with a combination which is not compatible.

Joe

So the only way to check if an eARC 2.1 HMDI port(TV) will work with an HDMI 2.0a processor is to try it for DTS-X/Dolby ATMOS ? How annoying.

Trying to get my head around this aswell. I have just bought an LG 55C9 and trying to work out how besdt to set it up. My current setup is Nvidia Shield 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Virgin V6 Box all going into a Pioneer VSX-924 which does not support HDR passthrough only 4K base.

I have never used ARC in any form so to enable me to get HDR I will have to upgrade the amp long term but for now could I plug the PS4 Pro and the Shield into the TV direct and run the sound back to the Pioneer via the earc single HDMI?

The tricky bit is the amp is on the iother side of the room and I run a 15m HDMI 2.0 (currently) and the HDMI 2.1 cables would cost a bomb so trying to hold off with current amp as long as possible. Would this work and would I lose anything in teh sound formats passing it back from the TV?

not bothered about the XBOX or Virgin Box etc as they only so 1080p anyway so can still be plugged into the amp.

First thing to try is to ensure the TV eARC socket and AVR ARC socket will work together and that they deliver DD 5.1 from the TV Apps and Source devices connected to the TV, you may need to move kit around and use short cables to prove it works.

HDMI version numbers are irrelevant when it comes to cables - at 15m your cable is either non-certified or Standard Speed certified.

eARC to ARC may work with your 15m cable or you may need to replace the cable with an ‘active’ cable, RuiPro Hybrid Fibre being a reliable option.

Moving the AVR and Sources devices closer to the TV is the other option!

Joe

Thanks, the cable I have is a fairly new one from Amazon and works fine but says its rated only to 4k 24hz. The new fibre ones are about £100 for a 15m run. Moving all the kit would be a nightmare with my current setup and speak runs roud the room. One of the bigegst hurdles is sub placement and running the phono cable.

HDMI cable - once you go long (anything over 5m) any claims of ‘rating’, ‘4K’ etc are just marketing blurb.

15m HDMI - RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre is the most reliable solution we have found.

Cost - reliable long HDMI cable pricing has not changed much since the day HDMI arrived.

If you test your installed cable and it works all good - if not I would try moving the amp + Source to test it with a short cable, if that works then consider a new long cable.

Keep in mind the best audio you will achieve is going to be DD (or possibly DD+ if your kit supports that over ARC).

Joe

So found out today the cable we have definately does not do anything over 24hz on 4k, tested and when i set the nvidia shield to anything higher i get a grenn screen this is the cable Amazon product ASIN B01JH70UQ0
need to invest in a good one i think. also doesnt like hdr on ps4 pro, no signal at all

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom