eARC Madness on a LG CX55 and Denon AVR2700H

hermeneut

I'm hoping someone will confirm my suspicion that this is a HDMI cable issue...

I have a Sony blu-ray, Apple TV, PS4 and Virgin V6 connected to the Denon, with the HDMI eARC port connecting to the eARC port on the LG CX55. When I turn on the telly in the morning, it boots the Denon, as it should – but then there is a signal meltdown as the telly launches the blu-ray, I switch to the V6 input on the Denon, it switches back to the blu-ray, and so on and so on. The telly flashes its volume indicator on and off, too. I have to switch off the Denon multiple times until it finally settles on the input for the V6.

Problem with the amp? Or cables? Or, God forbid, the TV?

Thanks in advance.

chenks

doesn't sound like an HDMI cable issue, but it should be easy enough to check.

sounds more like HDMI CEC problems.

HomeSkillet

Came to this forum for the first time in search of a solution to a similar issue and found this thread on the first page.

I have the same LG CX 55, hooked up to a Vizio Soundbar via ARC. About 50% of the time, when I power the system on (using the LG remote) the audio output setting on the TV will switch back and forth repeatedly, from the ARC HDMI to Internal Speaker. I can even open the sound settings while this is happening and watch the selected audio option switch back and forth in the menu.

I've tried disabling CEC in the TV options, the system just turns it back on for me the next time I start the TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

next010

Distinguished Member
Came to this forum for the first time in search of a solution to a similar issue and found this thread on the first page.

I have the same LG CX 55, hooked up to a Vizio Soundbar via ARC. About 50% of the time, when I power the system on (using the LG remote) the audio output setting on the TV will switch back and forth repeatedly, from the ARC HDMI to Internal Speaker. I can even open the sound settings while this is happening and watch the selected audio option switch back and forth in the menu.

I've tried disabling CEC in the TV options, the system just turns it back on for me the next time I start the TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the buggy world of HDMI-CEC.

Have you tried running the universal remote setup, this will try to program the magic remote with IR commands if LG have compatible IR commands and it can improve its control over the soundbar.

Vizio at least from what I know have a pretty good reputation for support, you should try contacting them in the hopes a firmware update to their soundbar can address the problem, though if the bar has no such function then your stuck with LG's CEC implementation.

The HDMI-CEC less adapter can be gotten on amazon you could try that on the soundbar and the LG will not be able to control it via CEC but that may also disable the option for HDMI-ARC in the sound menu.

A cheap universal remote is also worth a try in the hopes its IR power works better without waiting for the TV to power on the bar via CEC.

HomeSkillet

Thank you for the comprehensive answer! I'll try the remote setup and see if that resolves the issue. I also retired a pretty nice Harmony remote when I updated my setup, so I have one at the ready if I need it, but I was honestly hoping to use the LG remote for everything.

Thanks again. If I get this figured out, I'll report back for future answer-seekers.

hermeneut

Interestingly, I’ve narrowed down the trigger for this issue. Going to the home dashboard launches the blu-ray player (for no reason) and then the dance begins.

I will also try the remote control training because it may be signal mayhem that’s causing this.

next010

Distinguished Member
Interestingly, I’ve narrowed down the trigger for this issue. Going to the home dashboard launches the blu-ray player (for no reason) and then the dance begins.

I will also try the remote control training because it may be signal mayhem that’s causing this.

LG's HDMI-CEC implementation hunts for active/default home screens & will auto activate it whether you want it or not. Some device vendors have a CEC command for a home screen but others don't.

On my Sony soundbar any time I go near the HDMI port its on, up comes the Sony menu screen.

If the remote training doesnt work I'd turn off CEC on the BD player.

hermeneut

Well, what’s odd is that the blu-ray doesn’t show as connected (the LG indicates that the ‘set-top box’ should be switched on). I suspect the Bly-ray player is too old. Upgrading to 4K is a full-on business!

HomeSkillet

Reporting back on my issue (sorry to hijack the thread, this will be my last update.)

Setting up the sound bar manually via Universal Control Settings appears to have WORKED! Even though the TV did automatically recognize the sound bar, going through the manual steps (Settings > Connection > Device Connection Settings > Universal Control Settings) resolved the CEC issue I described above.

Thanks again, Next010.

HomeSkillet

Unfortunately, I have to report back again to say that my victory was short-lived. A few days later eARC started acting up again in a variety different of ways, including refusing to turn on the sound bar, or everything appearing correct (power on, volume controls responding) but no sound coming out of the speakers. I've given up and reverted to an optical connection, which has worked without a hitch since.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom