eARC Compatibility Issues? Yamaha RX-V385 & Hisense 58R6E3 Roku Smart TV

ENIGMAMACHINE

Novice Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays Gang!

I do see others are having similiar issues and I'm trying to understand :thumbsdow I have a Yamaha RX-V385. Recently bought a Walmart Hisense Smart TV 58R6E3 (with eARC). Cables are newer 4K HDMI Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 & backwards compatible. I do not rely on the built-in TV roku. My intention was to use new cables for a Roku Ultra and other devices. The configuration so far:

RX-V385 Audio Optical Input (from Audio Optical Output) Hisense 58R6E3 TV

RX-V385 ARC output to input Hisense 58R6E3 TV eARC/ARC

HDMI Output from Roku Ultra to HDMI 2 input Hisense 58R6E3 TV

The only sound I'm able to get from the mains 5.1 RX-V385 is from the built-in FM Tuner/Radio. Have tried to examine 'set up' in RX-V385 and properly choose all options. The Hisense TV (although factually sluggish), does automatically switch/toggle but constantly gives error message 'eARC device not plugged in' ????

No sound from the external Roku Ultra
No sound from the built-in TV roku
No sound from the TV (using outside antenna).

Wondering what I've missed?

Thank you for your help! :suicide:

Mike

Last edited:
Connect the Roku directly to one of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs rather than passing the audio through the TV and out using ARC. There's nothing to be gained by connecting it directly to the TV.

If still intent on using ARC or eARC then you'll need to turn HDMI CONTROL and ARC on onboard the AV receiver from within its HDMI configurations.

The HDMI cable betweewn the TV and the AVR needs to be connected to the ARC enabled output on the AVR to the one ARC enable input on that TV. The TV will have an implementation of HDMI CEC. Turn this on and select ARC or an option that reklates to ARC to enable it.

When you connect at eARC TV to an ARC AVR the expectation is the 'link' will drop back to he ARC capabilities of the AVR - though there is no guarantee thing will work as required.

With ARC rather than eARC you are also reliant on CEC - which can bring its own raft of issues.

As dante01 says your best option is Source > AVR then AVR > TV - which should still retain the ARC connection between the TV and the AVR to allow you to pay the TV audio via the AVR plus deliver the best audio from the Source to the AVR.

Joe

When you connect at eARC TV to an ARC AVR the expectation is the 'link' will drop back to he ARC capabilities of the AVR - though there is no guarantee thing will work as required.

With ARC rather than eARC you are also reliant on CEC - which can bring its own raft of issues.

As dante01 says your best option is Source > AVR then AVR > TV - which should still retain the ARC connection between the TV and the AVR to allow you to pay the TV audio via the AVR plus deliver the best audio from the Source to the AVR.

Joe

The AV receiver is eARC enabled. After saying this, Yamaha still require that you enable HDMI Control in order to enable ARC and or eARC. You can however disengage HDMI CEC onboard the TV and you'd still get audio via eARC on the AV receiver, but you'd obviously have to manually select the TV source if HDMI CEC is disengaged on the TV.

'The AV receiver is eARC enabled' - my bad, I read the line about eARC/ARC and the AVR being ARC enabled.

It could be having the Optical cable between the TV and AVR and whatever settings are enabled to allow that to work are causing a problem with configuring the eARC connection between the TV and AVR.

Like you I would still recommend Source > AVR > TV and once the OPP has that working as required I would then revisit Source > TV > AVR and try eARC again.

Joe

The HDMI Control setting onboard the AVR needs to be on in order to be able to access the HDMI ARC setting. If the ARC setting is engaged then the AV receiver will default to the HDMI ARC connection for access to the TV audio. If turned off then the AV receiver defaults to the S/PDIF optical input for TV audio.

I get that but what if the TV is configured for Optical Out?

Joe

I'd imagine that you'd still get audio/a signal via the optical connection, but you may need to use a different source to that which it would have been assigned to if you'd simply turned HDMI ARC off?

He'd definately not get any audio via ARC if he's set the TV's audio output to an optical option as opposed to ARC/ or one relating to ARC.

If HDMI ARC is enabled then the AUDIO 1 source selects the ARC connection as the source, but if turned off than the AUDIO 1 source is the OPTICAL TV input on the AV receiver.

AUDIO 1 is set as the TV source as the factory default.

by default 2021-11-30 at 12.55.40.png

Hello dante - Nice to see you again! And Joe how ya doin?

Well my friends (as Joe pointed out), there always seems to be issues with 'recognition'

I actually finally got source 'AUDIO 1' to work with all devices (before I read your responses). dante set me straight (thank you), but now its tough getting recognition back.

HDMI control is set to 'ON'

I also did a reset (removing the TV's network): I don't want that darn built-in TV roku. But (so far) the TV will not recognize the Roku Ultra signal thru the reciever's HDMI.

As you know this particular reciever only has one optical input. Opinions were: both devices would (eventually) be satisfied using eARC/ARC for both Audio/Video. Thanks for all your helpful comments! :clap: .... (still working on it).

Question-Comment:
I saved money with this Hisense Smart TV 58R6E3 (the general public like it). However the color is not great and I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a straight up Samsung Smart TV (NO ROKU). It seems its the Hisense TV having trouble switching and recognizing ..... Its factually criticized online; it takes at least several seconds to toggle back n forth, (sluggish). You get what you pay for and I'm returning it to Walmart.

Mike :zonked:

Last edited:
If looking for a TV with plenty of support for streaming services then I'd recommend LG. Not sure as to the availability in the US though?

As to being unable to pass the video sourced via your Roku through the AV receiver, there's no reason why you should be able to do this?

Hi dante

Thanks again - I'm gonna return this Hisense and for a little more money pick up an LG or Samsung.

Meanwhile I went back to my older flat screen TV (with optical audio out), and still having recognition issues with the RX-V385. I had been using my older RX-V467.

Working on that right now with little success.

Mike

If using the optical input on the V385 then simply turn ARC off onboard the AV receiver and then select AUDIO 1 as the source. Remember that you'd also need to set the digital audio output on the TV to the option that relates to the optical output. This is usually a different setting to that associated with ARC.

ARC is 'off'

AUDIO 1 Selected

HDMI Control is 'ON'

Older TV Audio set for Digital ....

No Radio/Tuner Sound? No response with manual or remote volume controls .... ?

Maybe the default dB level is too low? This occurred before too ... :thumbsdow

Thanks dante

I'd suggest that the settings on your TV aren't correct and that you may have it still set to ARC as opposed to the optical audio output. Make sure ARC is still not engaged and that you've selected the output option that relates to the TV optical output.

There's no real reason why you shouldn't be getting any audio if correctly configured, not unless the optical cable itself is faulty? While connected to the TV. can you see a red light eminating from the other disconnected end of the cable?

SOLVED!

I'm not sure why it didn't respond initially? The Tuner should still have functionality regardless of other issues ...? This happened before ...? Maybe re-booting the reciever did the trick? In any event, the issue of non-functionality with the volume controls has me concerned. I recently purchased the RX-V385 (with Allstate Sq. Trade Warranty).

Thanx dante! :beer: You're a gentleman! :smashin:

Back to the other issues after I get a better TV ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom