eARC - 2.0 - 43UP81006LA question

keiran85

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how this TV -43UP81006LA - support's eARC and has 4k@120p 10bit support but doesn't have a 2.1 HDMI port? The panel is supposed to be 60hz.

Am I missing something here? I thought eARC was specifically for 2.1?

I got the TV for free and have been using it as a monitor, limiting fps for gaming. Zero issues but I'm confused by its specs and I'm wondering if it could have a future update pushed and possibly has the hardware for 2.1 already with the fact it supports the above.

It might be a good idea to give the brand of TV?

Can’t see any mention of 120Hz support in the manual.

eARC is a HDMI 2.0 feature not 2.1 (it can be implemented on HDMI 2.0 supported equipment)

Last edited:
It might be a good idea to give the brand of TV?

It's lg.

Can’t see any mention of 120Hz support in the manual.

eARC is a HDMI 2.0 feature not 2.1

The online spec via their website state it has HEVC 4K@120P, 10bit. I always thought that eARC was specifically for 2.1 due to bandwidth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020_101024_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020_101024_com.android.chrome.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 36
The online spec via their website state it has HEVC 4K@120P, 10bit.

HEVC is a codec and compressed file so if you tried to play a file in this format on the TV then it would be able to play files with a frame rate of 120fps. However, it would only be able to display this at 60fps so it would probably show every other frame. The specs on the same website show the following:

DISPLAY​

• Type4K UHDScreen Size43
  • Resolution3840*2160Motion / Refresh RateRefresh Rate 60Hz

I always thought that eARC was specifically for 2.1 due to bandwidth.

Yes, technically you are right in that it is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard (my bad). However, this was one of the features that could be added to compatible HDMI 2.0 equipment usually with a firmware update. The bandwidth for sound is negligible compared to that of video eARC, for example, is up to 37Mbps, that's around 1,000 times smaller than the video component.

HEVC is a codec and compressed file so if you tried to play a file in this format on the TV then it would be able to play files with a frame rate of 120fps. However, it would only be able to display this at 60fps so it would probably show every other frame. The specs on the same website show the following:

DISPLAY​

• Type4K UHDScreen Size43
  • Resolution3840*2160Motion / Refresh RateRefresh Rate 60Hz

Yes, technically you are right in that it is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard (my bad). However, this was one of the features that could be added to compatible HDMI 2.0 equipment usually with a firmware update. The bandwidth for sound is negligible compared to that of video eARC, for example, is up to 37Mbps, that's around 1,000 times smaller than the video component.

That's what I didn't understand with the specs and it being a 60hz panel. Bit of a dodgy statement on their part, in my view, with stating 120p.

I was hoping with it being a 2021 model that maybe they'd added the hardware and were looking at pushing through later support for 2.1. Ah well looks like they're not, thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom