1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eagles farewell I Melbourne

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by dexter, Jun 29, 2005.

1. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my Region 1 copy of Eagles Farewell I Tour in Melbourne. Great set list, though no Last Resort unfortunately - but you can't have everything. One major issue though - the loss of Don Felder. It does seem like there is a mssive gap on stage without him - Walsh clowns around as usual but there is absolutely NO chemistry between him and Felder's "replacement", Steuart Smith. I know he is not an "official" Eagle but Walsh goes nowhere near him really during the concert - nor does the camera! I realise that Felder is probably not welcome back in the group - but couldn't they have tempted Bernie Leadon back in (or Randy Meisner who played rhythm guitar rather well at the VH1 Hall of Fame induction in 1999)? Ah... the VH1 show - all seven Eagles - now there was a line up!

2. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops - should this thread be in the DVD review section? Please feel free to move it mods.

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Is this disc in widescreen format?

4. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - it is. PQ is fine, as is sound, but still does not detract from the fact that they are missing Don Felder!

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Nice to hear the PQ is decent - what about the audio ? - I'm sure you have or have heard "Hell Freezes Over" (still one of the best concert DVDS IMHO) how does this new DVD compare ? Reviews I have read rate the new DVD as highly as HFO for SQ - what do you think ?
    As to JW not being an "official Eagle" well I was always a JW fan from his Barnstorm & solo days ("The Smoker You Drink ..." etc) and he has always been a talented writer & musician ... when he joined the Eagles for "Hotel California" it is no coincidence (IMHO) that they reached another level & produced some of their finest work ... sure JW is a bit "wasted" but lets not underestimate the mans talent (check out the version of "Rocky Mountain Way" on The Strat Pack DVD - in particular the voice box solo which is superb!)
    Paul ;)

6. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    check Joe out on Erics crossroads dvd he still rocks. We must understand that Joe likes to act wasted, it kind of goes with the image he has built up over the years,his licks are still slick.

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    goodtimes - yeah I have "Crossroads" and JW does indeed <rock> but the version of Rocky Mountain Way on "The Strat Pack" is much better (IMHO) - check out this DVD there's some real gems on there - "Red House" by Gary MOORE is worth the price of the disc alone & there's plenty more besides (Dave GILMOUR to name but one!)
    Paul ;)

8. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Im on to it cheers

9. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies - but I was talking about Steuart Smith as the "unofficial" Eagle - not Walsh.

Sound is good - but I think the HFO audio is better. Maybe because I prefer the acoustic nature of the concert (though there is a brief acoustic set in the Melbourne DVD).

What does everyone else think - it might just be me but it just does not seem right without Felder. there seems to be little / no chemistry between the four Eagles and Steuart Smith. There is little passion during Smith's guitar solos. He seems to be going through the motions and lacks, IMHO, the "life" of Felder's work (maybe because he is not playing his own material?)

It would be good to hear what others think.

If it came down to a choice between HFO and Melbourne I'd go HFO 100%.

10. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    An old trick in the shops was for the sales person to play a acoustic number as acoustic reproduction is easy and sounds great even on a average sound system.
    never buy a sys based only on a acoustic test try some music that includes a lot of complicated electric music perhaps some of Jeff Becks last three albums.

11. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    dexter - sorry I got the wrong stick of the end there about JW (!)
    I have the DVD en route to me from DVD Pacific (under £10 & £3 postage :))
    I will give you my verdict once it arrives - I like the sound of it being "less acoustic" as brilliant as HFO is it will be nice for the new DVD not just to be more of the same (hope that makes sense!)
    Cheers ... Paul ;)

12. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    goodtimes - what I meant was that I prefer the acoustic artrangements of some of the songs. I listened to both dvds last night and have come to the conclusion that the Melbourne dvd sounds less tampered with than the HFO one - it is a little more raw. Still no Felder though!

13. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    dexter it sounds simply like a must have so I simply must have it.

14. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else had a chance to review this disc yet? Funny thought though - I have only seen it advertised once on TV - on Channel 4 during Time Team's Big Roman Dig - perhaps this says something about us Eagles fans!?

15. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Dexter - I got my copy of this & have now managed to wade through it - I understand what you meant about JW and the new Eagle Smith - Smith appears to be stuck out at the end of the stage and apart from a couple of times when someone stood next to him (!) there is no interaction between him & the other Eagles - not sure why? was he in the band for the whole tour?
    Back to the show - long (getting on for 3 hours) - not much to look at (but the Eagles themselves pass comment about them "loitering" on stage rather than jumping around etc) - audio is excellent and, as I hoped, not just another Hell Freezes Over - most of the show is electric guitars with only a couple of acoustic tracks - IMHO HFO still has the edge audio wise but as it is almost entirely acoustic this is problably not a suprise
    My only dissappointment was the documentary - barely 12 minutes!
    Scores:
    Video - WScreen format & on my equipment looked gr8 - 9/10
    Audio - Stereo & DTS only - 9/10
    Extras - see above 2/10
    Regards ... Paul ;)

16. tonyow

tonyow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,i'm not as knowledgable as some of you guys but i'd just like to say that although i have enjoyed The Eagles music over the years i have not been a "massive" fan having said that the HFO dvd has been in my possession for quite a while,this past week i've watched the Melbourne dvd twice & i must say it blew me away....it looks fantastic on my projector & sounds superb (to my ears anyway) great musicians ! haven't enjoyed music so much for quite a while :thumbsup: if you haven't got buy it :smashin:

17. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    tonyow - glad you enjoyed it! tbh I was never a huge fan & always preferred Joe Walsh in his solo days but when he joined the Eagles I became a fan ...
    HFO & this new DVD are both superb in terms of audio - HFO is still as good a DVD as I have heard & I now have well nearly 100 (including DVDA & SACD) ...
    Back to the original point of this thread from dexter - having watched the whole show a few times I reckon the answer is that Steaurt Smith isnt a replacement for Don Felder - when they are taking their bows there are only four "Eagles" (Henley Smidt Frey & Walsh) the rest of the band are "extra musicians" and good as they all are none of them are considered to be "Eagles" and that includes Smith - that's the way I see it ;)
    To the unconverted this DVD is worth a look (even if you have HFO)
    Paul :)

18. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Have got HFO and am waiting for the new one.

What happened to Don Felder? Shame that its just Henley, Frey and Walsh with a load of other guys. I always thought Meisner's voice added alot.

19. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    dexter got it, love it, cant wait for farewell no2